VOGONS

Common searches

Outpost 1.0 (Seriously)

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by acroig

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OK, so I was the only guy on Earth that liked the game. I used to have this whole tech tree spreadsheet and all. Problem is I have the 1.0 version that requires this stupid floppy install. Every time I try and install it it tells me I have the wrong windows version (heck, even Win 95 OSR 2!).

No flames please 😀, unless you tell me how to make it work.

Alex

Reply 5 of 11, by acroig

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

No problem, he's trying to help. I was so cought up with re-playing System Shock that I dusted off a 300a, a SB16 and a Stealth 64 DRAM so now I have a DOS machine again.

No matter what flavor of Windows I tried, (95, 98, 2000) it tells me the same thing. No matter, it's not that good of a game 😀

Reply 6 of 11, by Schadenfreude

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You could get it to work in Windows 2000. DosFreak has, it is on his compatibility list. Both Windows 2000 Pro and Windows XP Pro, although he could not get it working in Windows NT 4.0.

[EDIT] Here's more info on getting the game to work in Windows 9x, found here: http://op.virtualave.net/cgi-bin/boardpower/d … =1&discussion=2
Try this:

[…]
Show full quote
PROBLEM: While installing Outpost in Windows 95, you receive an error 
indicating that you need a higher version of Windows.
SOLUTION: Here is a simple workaround for this problem:

Use SYSEDIT (Start\Run\Sysedit) to edit your WIN.INI. (Make a backup
first!) In the [compatibility] section of the WIN.INI file, change

INSTALL=0X00400000 to
INSTALL=0X00200000

Do not restart the computer after saving the change, just RUN setup.

You must edit the WIN.INI with SYSEDIT, not Notepad or DOS mode.
DO NOT RESTART THE COMPUTER. If you do, Win95
automatically changes the WIN.INI back to what it was. When you are
finished with the install, the WIN.INI will revert to its original
configuration.

If this solution does not work for you, or if you are uncomfortable about
editing the WIN.INI file, you can exchange Outpost 1.0 for Outpost 1.1
free of charge. This installation problem does not occur with Outpost 1.1.
To exchange to version 1.1, send your 1.0 CD to the following address:
Sierra Customer Service, PO Box 485, Coarsegold, CA 93614. Please
include a photocopy of this letter and a note stating that you need to
exchange for 1.1.

Reply 7 of 11, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hm. The Last Dynasty had a mildly similar problem in that if you didn't have your CD-ROM on D: it would not install. And, go figure, that was also by Sierra. (Who do these guys have programming their shitty you-can't-uninstall-me-until-all-your-Sierra-games-are-gone-nyeah installer?)

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 9 of 11, by Oldschool

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi guys,
i just got my outpost copy out of the corner and tried to install it but i have a problem. I`ve lost my "OUTPOST LAUNCH CONTROL DISK"
Now i am not able to install the game becaus i need this disk. I loaded the 1.5 update for this game and want to try it out but now im stuck.

Has anybody of u got a copy of this disk for me?

Thx

Oldschool

Last edited by Oldschool on 2003-09-04, 12:32. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 11 of 11, by WildKard

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I realize I'm replying to a very old post here. But I just came across my own copy of the "Outpost Launch Control Disk", well actually a backup disk I must have made, as the "original" Sierra-labeled one appears unreadable. so anybody needing it should contact me. It appears to have a grand total of 3 files on it (which aren't on the v1.0 CD-ROM(?)) for use while installing the game.

I'm flabbergasted... I've never heard of any other game shipping on CD-ROM and still requiring a floppy diskette. All I can figure is that maybe Outpost's EXE wasn't entirely finished when they sent the order in to get cdroms pressed.