VOGONS

Common searches

Heavy Gear

Topic actions

First post, by Tiki 1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, I got Heavy Gear for my birthday years ago, and I absolutely loved that damn game. I lost the CD for like four years, and now I found it inside the Heavy Gear 2 case (Typical). I can get the game to load up fine, the sounds in the menus work fine, and the whole thing works great . . . untill I actually try to play the game. It blackscreens me and brings up my mouse curser, the screen is back at my desktops normal resolution and the Task Manager says that Heavy Gear isnt responding, yet hg.exe it taking up a monsterous amount of CPU cycles. I tried waiting to see if it would load, and I've tried all manners of compatability options tweaking and VDM Sound workings, and got nothing. I tried that dgvoodoo thing but when it comes to those types of things I'm like a caveman trying to fit a square rock into a circular hole.

Im running XP with SP2 with an AMD XP 2800 chip and a GeForce 6800 GT. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Reply 1 of 1, by Flashback

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It's been a while since I tried running Heavy Gear under Windows XP. Currently I have it installed on my Windows 98 partition. However, I know I did have it running ok in XP before.

Try installing the retail 1.1 patch. Here's the link.

http://www.3dgamers.com/dlselect/games/heavyg … gp187d.exe.html

If you get it working with that, I recommend using dgVoodoo so you can scale up the resolution to something higher than 640x480. Don't forget to select the 3dfx renderer in the game options if you decide to try it.