VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by darklocket

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Recently I upgraded from an ATI 9600 pro to an NVIDIA 7800GS card and now I am only able to run NFS3 in D3D mode.

Previously, with the 9600, I was able to use zeckensacks wrapper and NFS3 would run at higher resolutions with fogging effects.

When trying to use dgvoodoo for glide mode, NFS3 loads and I hear the music and menus, but the screen display is black.

Using zeckensacks wrapper, I get a blank screen when trying to load NFS3.

Any ideas? Has anyone successfully ran Need for Speed 3 Hot Pursuit with a geforce card using glide wrappers on XP?

Thanks

Reply 1 of 12, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
darklocket wrote:

Previously, with the 9600, I was able to use zeckensacks wrapper and NFS3 would run at higher resolutions with fogging effects.

Never use a GLide wrapper (because I have V5 5500 😁 ), but IIRC, each different wrapper is geared to a specific video chip vendor. For instance, a wrapper that works with ATI may not work with nVidia. Have you tried different wrapper?

Reply 3 of 12, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DosFreak wrote:

uhhh, he's tried zeckensack and dgvoodoo as he stated above.

Duh!

Well I give up, then. Isn't dgvoodoo supposed to work on 7800?

Reply 4 of 12, by darklocket

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have been able to get dgvoodoo working with the 7800GS for Need for Speed II SE. Although the sky flickers. Ive tried different settings in dgvoodoo and with the geforce drivers to get rid of it, but no luck.

My real problem is that both dgvoodoo and zeckensack do not work for Need for Speed III Hot Pursuit.

As mentioned before, dgvoodoo loads the game with sound and all, but the screen is black (monitor light is green).

Zeckensack also trys to load, but It never trys to access the cd-rom drive. It also does not make the clicky resolution change when starting the game.

Reply 6 of 12, by darklocket

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

🙁 already tried marks zeckensack configuration which works on ATI but not NVIDIA for NFS3 HP. Interesting how it does work for NFS II SE.

I am thinking the glide drivers that come with dgvoodoo need to have something specific changed or added to make it compatible with NFS 3 HP

Reply 7 of 12, by darklocket

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

new update

I got glide 3dfx mode working for NFS3 HP under windows ME using the 82.16 geforce drivers and with zeckensacks wrappper.

zeckensacks wrapper did not give me fog mode, but atleast the higher resolutions were opened up. I will try dgvoodoo next to see if I get better results.

and again Need for Speed II SE under windows ME using zeckensacks did not work. I had to use the dgvoodoo. The glide results are the same as if it was running in XP. I definately think that zeckensacks was designed for ATI cards and if NVIDIA cards work, then thats a bonus side effect.

Reply 8 of 12, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Can't get NFS3 working on my 8800 with zeckensack's driver. I followed the guide on his site exactly, too.

I got high res with D3D though, by renaming the D3D dll file to voodoo2a.dll (or whatever that file is). In the registry I then changed the card info to 3Dfx and Voodoo2a I believe. As if it would run Glide, but it's tricked into D3D instead. Obviously no fog though.

Also managed to find a d3d7 dll for NFS3 on some NFS site out there. Installed that after a d3d6 update on the same site.

Reply 9 of 12, by Devil Master

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It's a real shame that it's impossible to get hi-res in selection screens with Direct3D though. This means that those screens will never be displayed when playing with a Z800 visor, so you either go through them blindly or don't play at all.

Reply 10 of 12, by UltraBreytenBreytenbach

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I had a similar problem with the screen staying black. I don't know exactly what I did to solve it actually, because it is working fine now with dgVoodoo. I use a GeForce 7600, but it shouldn't make a differnce.

What i did was to copy the folders FEDATA, GAMEDATA and SETUP from the CD to a folder created by myself, copy all files from the Windows 2000 Fan Patch into this folder and run the .exe as
"D:\games\Need For Speed III\NFS3 - 2000.EXE" -voodoo2
and dgVoodoo.

I used the Need for Speed Win 2000 patch from http://nfsgb.nd4spdworld.com/main.html

Reply 12 of 12, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Also managed to find a d3d7 dll for NFS3 on some NFS site out there. Installed that after a d3d6 update on the same site.

dx8z.dll!!! Grab it here people!

Attachments

• Filename
    spotptch.zip
    File size
    433.62 KiB
    Downloads
    1305 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception