VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 20 of 28, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
dh4rm4 wrote:

🤣, seriously? 😜

Seriously. If you guys would start by agreeing on what resolution means, much of this crap would not have been posted.

So humour me: What does resolution mean to you?

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 21 of 28, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
MiniMax wrote:
dh4rm4 wrote:

🤣, seriously? 😜

So humour me: What does resolution mean to you?

resolution, isn´t that what the UN is sometimes waiting for instead of a solution ? and the Danish news is using the word the wrong way ?

Since resolution, when you translate into Danish, then you have the word opløsning, and what does that word mean when you translate it back ?
the word that pops up first, is dissolution and well. I know the real word we are looking for in Danish is opløsningsevne (technical term) (the computer term of resolution). I hope that humours you 😀

Since that is what happens when you translate a word in weird way 😉

But well we all know, that when words are translated the wrong way back. Then "fun" things happen.

Reply 22 of 28, by Devil Master

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Bingo! Then I believe it is (at least theoritically) possible to treat a game's 2D screen as a big rectangular polygon, and then applying texture scaling/filtering to the 2D screen.

This is exactly what I DON'T want to do. By doing that, you'd lose every information about depth, and that means no stereoscopy support. Moreover, everything would end up looking either messy and blurry, or extremely pixelated, because you would have just enlarged a 2D image, as opposed to natively display a 3D scene at a certain resolution.

The following is an example of what I mean.
This is a screenshot of a game running at a native resolution of 1024*768.
This screenshot was originally grabbed at 640*480, then upscaled to 1024*768 with a bilinear resample effect.
This is another screenshot that was originally grabbed at 640*480, then upscaled to 1024*768 through a simple pixel resize.
Technically, all three of them have the same resolution, but the first one is much more detailed and crispy, because it was not treated like a 2D image: the 3D scene was actually displayed at that resolution.

Reply 23 of 28, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Devil Master wrote:

Bingo! Then I believe it is (at least theoritically) possible to treat a game's 2D screen as a big rectangular polygon, and then applying texture scaling/filtering to the 2D screen.

This is exactly what I DON'T want to do. By doing that, you'd lose every information about depth, and that means no stereoscopy support. Moreover, everything would end up looking either messy and blurry, or extremely pixelated, because you would have just enlarged a 2D image, as opposed to natively display a 3D scene at a certain resolution.

I see.

But I think it's still useful for games whose native resolution is pretty low, like Fallout (640x480) or Diablo 1 (640x480).

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 24 of 28, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You may be aware that there is a patch for Fallout that lets you run the game at a higher resolution, i.e. allowing you to see more of the playfield at once. Of course, it is not without its problems.

Reply 25 of 28, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Patches for Fallout 1/2 to play the games in a window along with other enhancements:
http://timeslip.chorrol.com/sfall.html

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 26 of 28, by DMJC

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes it is possible to do this. i am working on a HD patch for Warhammer Dark Omen. The trick is to use a hex editor and look for the resolution codes within the executable. It only really works on games with a hardcoded resolution. In Dark omen's case 640x480. By looking for the Hex values for 640 and 480 and editing them. I am able to get the game hacked to run in 2560x1600. Basically looking for 8002 and E001 and replacing them with 000A and 4006. You do need to make constant backups and work through a trial and error process as you may edit a value that breaks something in the game. Documenting the hex addresses you're editing as you go can be a helpful way to reverse engineer an engine. It's time consuming though and there are limitations to what you can achieve without deeper hacking tools.I've found that most graphics functions pair up the 640 and 480 variables so looking for and replacing only sets of the two variables, gets you very far in hacking the resolution. Unfortunately some on-screen graphics are using other resolutions and I think to find those, screenshots and measuring pixel placement of art is needed. Then you have to find hex equivalents and scale appropriately.