VOGONS

Common searches

ROTT Setup in Win95

Topic actions

First post, by Suzette

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, Ive been fortunate to purchase a pack of older game cds recently. Many of the games do not include the installation booklets.
One of the games is ROTT, a game i loved when i played its shareware version years ago. I have read all the readme's on it and searched online for instructions, which has led me to this website. 😀 I also still have my Compaq 4550 with Win95 on it.

Motherboard Specifications, P4GV-LA (Guppy) - c003
Processor 233 MHz AMD-K6 (tm) MMX (tm) Enhanced Processor
Memory 48 MB SyncDRAM
Graphics
Accelerated 64-bit PCI Graphics with Direct3D (tm)
2 MB video memory
Hard drive is just under 4 Gigs

Looking around online has led me to believe that making ROTT run in Win95 has some tricks to it. The readme only said to switch to pure DOS and then type INSTALL, but i cannot seem to change the drive frem C: to D: When ive F8'd to Windows Bootup Menu, i chose option 6. Command Prompt Only. I then got:

Doskey Installed C:\> whereupon i then, (right after the C:\>) entered: d: then e: then d:\ then e:\ all 4 to no avail. I got this response for each of the 4 tries: "Invalid Drive Specification". or sometimes i got "Bad Command or File Name".

I dont know DOS at all. I can follow directions well though. I put WinRott on my WinXP puter, but the truth is i need a joystick for play due to some physical limitations. I dont think putting DOSbox on such a small puter would be good. What do you think? Is there a way to make a Bootup disk, and would that allow me to still play games on Win95 on that computer?Thanks in advance!

p.s. i hope this is the right board for this question, if not im sorry. 😀

Reply 1 of 43, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

*** Moved to Windows ***

> I dont think putting DOSbox on such a small puter would be good.

No, it would not. The "switch to pure DOS" is not done from the boot screen with F8 I think. I think you need to choose it somewhere when you shut down Win95. Something like Reboot into MS-DOS.

Here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/138996

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 2 of 43, by Suzette

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Oops, i forgot to mention its ROTT v1.2a.

I tried 3 different ways of booting it into DOS. The command prompt on the Win menu, Restarting it in MS-DOS mode, and Restarting it then F8-ing to the Windows Boot Menu. The first 2 would change the drive, and install would start, but as soon as it asked me the location for ROTT and i chose its default of C:\ROTT the program crashed.

Reply 7 of 43, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I wouldn't use WinRott. It breaks most of the game's features and adds more quirks than ROTT should. It ruins the game. (it's also non-Free 🤣)

Stick to the DOS version, it should run straight under 95 without a problem (usually). Good chance it's your sound card being the bane of the problem.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 8 of 43, by Suzette

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Under a Windows shell running, its E: and if its in DOS i think its D:.

If its my sound card messing things up, would it crash before i even get to install or setup sound?

The Readme clearly states that this program will NOT run under any form of Windows, and MUST be installed by tapping F8, then choosing C:\> only in the Win Bootup Menu but it does say something about creating a boot disk.

Is there a way to figure out what version of DOS i have? I dont know what im doin wrong, so i dont know how to attack the problem or what i should be Googling for as far as info to install it.
If i could figure out why DOS will not let me change from the C:\> to D:\> im hoping then i can type INSTALL and the rest will be easy. Yes? 😀
Thanks for any help.

Reply 9 of 43, by v0g0ns

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I wouldn't use WinRott. It breaks most of the game's features and adds more quirks than ROTT should. It ruins the game. (it's also non-Free Laughing Out Loud)

Stick to the DOS version, it should run straight under 95 without a problem (usually). Good chance it's your sound card being the bane of the problem.

There s/he goes again. Actually there's glrott , which is the succesor to winrott, which adds opengl support. Though it still has some bugs, it doesnt stray away from the game's original gameplay, and where do you get that it's non-free? The source code for both winrott and glrott are available under gpl.

Rise of the Triad forum

Reply 13 of 43, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Suzette wrote:

The Readme clearly states that this program will NOT run under any form of Windows,

ROTT was released before Windows 95, so that warning is irrelevant

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 15 of 43, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Suzette wrote:

Under a Windows shell running, its E: and if its in DOS i think its D:.

This is getting confusing. I am thinking that you do not have DOS CD-ROM drivers loaded, but I cannot be sure from the information you have provided.

What drive letters do you have in Windows, and what drive letters do you have in DOS?

Reply 16 of 43, by Suzette

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

In Win the zip drive is D: and the cd drive is E:. I think that when ive installed the 1500 level Duke Nukem add-on i had to go into DOS to install a copy of Duke for that add-on to work. I noticed that the drive changed from E in windows to D in DOS.

Reply 17 of 43, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Suzette wrote:

I noticed that the drive changed from E in windows to D in DOS.

WHAT DRIVE!? The Zip drive? Your hard drive? Your CD-ROM drive? Please be specific!

Reply 18 of 43, by Suzette

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Jorhpo-That would be the CD Drive.

I tried the first 2 suggestions from MS about hiding windows from DOS, and choosing advanced properties to run it as DOS....both failed and the puter restarted back to Windows.

There is a third option, to manually configure your own config. and autoexec.bat files but i dont know how to do that. On pg. 17 of the RottHelp file is a sample config. and autoexec.bat file. Should i post that?

Is a bootdisk ruled out as a possible solution? Thanks for your help!

Reply 19 of 43, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

All right, perhaps a bootdisk would be a good idea. I rather like this one:
http://community.the-underdogs.org/pub/bootdisks/whive12.zip

That should allow you to access your CD-ROM drive from ordinary DOS without any Windows getting involved, hopefully allowing you to run the Install program.