VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by vonpookie

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm currently trying to run the Muppet Treasure Island cd-rom on XP/Vista.

The game is running fine, but I can't seem to get it to stay in 640x480 resolution. I've used the compatibility mode and the first time I run the game after installing, it runs everything in the correct resolution.

When I quit the game and come back to it it shows the 'splash screen' with the 'play' button in the correct resolution, but after I click 'play' it takes me to new game/load game options, and the resolution switches back to normal with the game running in a little square in the upper-left corner of the screen.

I have set the compatibility mode options for both the Treasure.exe file that starts the game and the MTPLAY32.EXE which I believe is the engine running the games/videos, but it still switches back.

Any ideas? It's not a major problem, just a general nitpicking on my part. Thanks.

Reply 1 of 4, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's possible that the game has a configuration file or a registry setting for the resolution.

There are also command line programs to change the desktop resolution that you could run before starting the game.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 4, by vonpookie

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I thought about a registry setting, but I would have no clue where to begin looking for that.

However, I did just discover that I can force it to run in 640x480, 256-color by using the the 'list all modes' in the display adapter settings and selecting the option there.

This should work nicely for what I need.

Thanks!

Reply 3 of 4, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Usually you can find software settings for programs in HKLM\Software or HKCU\Software.

http://alter.org.ua/en/soft/win/vidcontrol/

The above utility can change the resolution. You can make a batch file to run it before and after you run the game (to set your resolution back).

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline