VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Just curious about something:

I seem to have read numerous reports over the years of old Macromedia Director-based programs not running properly under Windows 2000 or XP, or at least requiring compatibility mode. Is anyone aware of just what dependency these Macromedia Director programs had that is not present in 2K/XP?

Reply 1 of 7, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If I recall correctly it was either because they try to use the Win16 API, or they try to use the old WinMM calls, or both, and some of those calls doesn't exist in Win2k/XP. I think in particular you'll find this to be true when dealing with old Director applications that used QuickTime, since they were made to use the old old old ancient old old QuickTime 2.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 4 of 7, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Precisely one of the games that came to mind.

I suppose that the problem with ancient Quicktime 2 is that it also uses the Win16 API or some nonexistent WinMM calls?

Reply 5 of 7, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Would it be possible to create some kind of API wrapper for it, something like DosFreak posted about for Windows 2000 to XP? I'm sure that it would be more work than it would be worth, though.

Reply 6 of 7, by Eck

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The crazy thing was that these programs, games, encyclopedia type things worked on XP until Service Pack 2. The only things needed were installing the latest Shockwave Full and Flash, QuickTime 2.1.2.59, the latest QuickTime (yes, both), and at least the programs I still have would work fine.

Since XP SP2, these types of programs (although some do still work) usually offer an error in Shockwave Director message when trying to do their QuickTime/Shockwave thing. Install the same as I listed above, and 98SE or XP until SP2 play these things fine.

If someone could figure out an adjustment to make in that Application Compatibility Toolkit that would fix the problem it would be nice. I tried all the normal Compatibility Mode options and system video settings and nothing worked. But that App Compat Toolkit has many more specific options to try. I'd have no idea where to begin.

Right now I have a 98SE/Linux dual boot after getting rid of Vista and replacing it with 98SE last week. I have old enough hardware to get nice performance from 98SE and use the available tools like the Auto-Patcher over at msfn.org and find it's serving most of my needs, especially with Linux available too. Runs better than XP or Vista, but of course newer software for XP/Vista that will not run on 9x is beyond reach this way.

Anyway, if there's anyone versed in using that Application Compatibility Toolkit, which always mostly confused me and only used it myself during the period when it was necessary to use it to get Shockwave to work on Firefox (a long time ago), and has some of these Shockwave/QuickTime 2.1.2.59 type hybrid programs, it would be nice if a solution could be found.

Likely the same sort of settings that would work on XP SP2 could also be applied on Vista using the latest Application Compatibility Toolkit.

I mean, the old programs aren't a necessity of course, but some of them are fun to use. I particularly like Star Trek Captain's Chair. That's a no go on XP/Vista since XP SP2 (worked before that).

Reply 7 of 7, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I suppose you've already fixed your autoexec.nt and config.nt? (Sometime around SP2 those two files seemed to have gotten wiped out on many systems, causing lots of problems with 16-bit software. See http://unodocs.nmsu.edu/RoboDocs/WebHelp/jini … iator/ji_05.htm among others.)