VOGONS

Common searches

sound in simearth

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by thesnare

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I may just need to get the dos version, but I did a search of these forums, simearth is mentioned but not sound issues.

Anyway, I have the windows version and it does work in windows, without even using dosbox, but I don't know how to get the sound to work. I know it not strictly a dosbox issue, but does anyone know? I remember playing the game back when I was 13 and I got beeps even with my 386 soundcardless machine.

Reply 1 of 6, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Moved

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 2 of 6, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Was the version you were playing when you were 13 the DOS version? It is quite possible that the DOS version supported PC speaker sound but the Windows version did not. It is also quite possible that your computer at the time had the special Windows 3.1 PC speaker sound driver (i.e. which would allow it to make beeping noises even without a sound card).

So the question is, are you getting any kind of sound at all, or just not the sounds you were expecting? Are you getting MIDI music?

Reply 3 of 6, by thesnare

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm getting no sound at all. I remember the version I played back then in 92 worked with either windows or DOS. I don't know if it had the win 3.1 driver you are talking about or not, but I know we had no sound card and I just got beeps.

I also remember playing the mac version at school once and the sound I got with that, it was nothing like the kind I got with my PC at home.

Reply 4 of 6, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Actually, you can play the Mac version on your PC through a Macintosh emulator, if you want. You can buy it at http://www.dosgamesarchive.com/shop/index.php .

Anyway, did you download this Windows version from somewhere, or is it an original copy of the game? Downloaded versions may be missing sounds and music.

Reply 5 of 6, by thesnare

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes, I don't remember where, probably underdogs. I certainly think it's possible that versions of downloaded games could be missing sound, though I'd think it's not that common. I've never, for example, downloaded a ROM image of a console game that was missing sound.