VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Acleacius

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thought I would pass along how to fix the shuddering cutscenes in XP working and if nothing else to remind me next time I play. 😉

I am not sure why this fixes it but I believe there are certain Codex that only get installed in DOS mode. So the solution is to before you install on XP, to do a DOS install, I did mine in DOSBox. The best I can tell you don't even need Compatibility Mode once you follow this method, at least I don't.

Additional fix, this also seems to solve the problem with the XP install screen that can occur. This problem also seems related to codex. During the XP install the game still uses some DOS window applications. So what was happening (in my limited understanding) was the installer will just kick out of the install process on occasion, saying it's complete or actually run but with no sound, both have happened to me before.

It's a relief to get them working, this game had at the time stunning moives/cutscenes for a game. I remember being breathless during the opening scene as the camera swept across the castle and down in the moat. After years of playing games nothing I had seen had been so beautiful. 😀

Good luck and thanks for all the good works that go on here and for the DOSBox Team. :standing ovation: :cheer: 🍺

Oh, I have a question I am not sure where to ask and it relates to this game.

Is there a proper forum to ask spoiler help for games? I am struggling with the Dark Halls and none of the walkthroughs on the net have the correct answers. I know this as I used to own the Official Game guide but has since been lost.

Thanks for any tips. 😀

Reply 1 of 2, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So you install the entire game first and overwrite the DOS installation folder during Windows install, am I correct?

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 2 of 2, by Acleacius

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Actually it's DOS first, then I installed the XP version, it may however work the way you mention.

I am guessing if you did install XP, then installed DOS before you play they drivers would still be install, hell actually you could just wait to install it in DOS when/if you run into problems. It seems the key is to get the DOS version installed before the videos/cutscenes work in XP, well this is what fixed the problems for me. 😀

In case I am not being clear, I installed to the XP and DOS versions to two different directories. The DOS version I mentioned was installed with DOSBox in my /games folder, then the XP version was installed in it's own directory. Once the videos/cutscenes were working I renamed my DOSBox version to see if the XP version would run without the DOSBox version and it did, this is why I guess some codex/driver was responsible.

Anyone know a place to ask spoilers for old games?

Thanks. 😀