VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by bobbyboys

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi

I have tried to get this old game running on both vista and xp but without luck. It is running 3dfx, and i can see the opening movie and all, but when i start a game, the screen goes black. Any suggestions?
I'm running an athlon dualcore 64, 3gb ram.

Reply 2 of 10, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Have you tried other versions of those wrappers or messing around with their settings? You can also try an older wrapper called e-voodoo. I'll post it here as it's getting difficult to find.

Attachments

• Filename
    evoodooxp-3.2.zip
    File size
    297.18 KiB
    Downloads
    402 downloads
    File comment
    evoodoo glide wrapper, includes control panel, glide2x and glide3x
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 4 of 10, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
bobbyboys wrote:

Hi

I have tried to get this old game running on both vista and xp but without luck. It is running 3dfx,

Does the game run with software renderer? And not only the opening movie, but the game itself as well. I've never heard about the game either, but if it's a game with 3dfx support, chances it's an old Win9x game that just can't run on XP and above.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 5 of 10, by bobbyboys

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

2. Configuration

Minimum:
P 166
32 MB RAM
Windows 95 or higher
4x CD ROM
Soundcard compatible with DirectX 6.1
DirectX 6.1 or higher
Graphics card : 4 MB min, compatible with Direct X 6.1
Hard drive space required: 250 MB min

Recommended :
P II 266
32 MB RAM
Windows 95 or higher
4x CD ROM
Soundcard compatible with DirectX 6.1
Game controller compatible with DirectX 6.1
DirectX 6.1 or higher
3D Card: 4 MB min, compatible with DirectX 6.1
Hard drive space required: 300 MB

theres is 4 options: software low def p166-200
p233 or higher
3dfx
windowed

Reply 6 of 10, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
bobbyboys wrote:
theres is 4 options: software low def p166-200 p233 or higher 3dfx windowed […]
Show full quote

theres is 4 options: software low def p166-200
p233 or higher
3dfx
windowed

3dfx doesn't support windowed mode, so yes, the game does support software renderer besides 3dfx. Have you been successful in running the game with software renderer?

By the way, TIE Fighter Collector Edition (the one with texture-mapped graphic and Direct3D support, not TIE Fighter Collector CD ROM) doesn't run on XP either. I can run all the intro and explore the menu, but when I start flying, the screen goes blank.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....

Reply 7 of 10, by Kippesoep

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Voodoo 1 and 2 don't support windowed mode per se, but can be tricked. I used this trick in a game I wrote: disable the output and read the backbuffer every frame, then blit it to the window. And of course, Voodoo Rush, Banshee, 3/4/5 did support windowed mode natively.

My site: Ramblings on mostly tech stuff.

Reply 8 of 10, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

TIE Fighter Collector Edition (the one with texture-mapped graphic and Direct3D support, not TIE Fighter Collector CD ROM) doesn't run on XP either.

Do you have ACT 5.0? There you can take a look at the fix made for X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter and make an equal for Tie Fighter. It may be worth to try since the game is based on the same engine.

Reply 9 of 10, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm trying to narrow down the problem; if Lucky Luke is one of those pesky Win9x games that don't run on XP, then it doesn't matter what GLide wrapper he's using. Heck, he can use real 3dfx card and still get blank screen.

Oh, and thanks for the ACT tip.

Reply 10 of 10, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'll see if I can get my hands on that game (lucky luke) and see what happens in here. If he stills get the blank screen in software mode then definately is not the wrapper. This could also be related to drivers.