VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by sideshowcris

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Before I start, just let me cut short arguments that I should play the DOS version right now, because I want the video and the hi-res dialog portraits. Therefore, unless NewRisingSun also has a patch that puts those in the DOS version that I have yet to see, count me out.

Now, onto the meat & potatoes of the dilemma.

I've installed Windows 3.1 on DOSBox along with a soundblaster driver I found here: http://www.badongo.com/file/823568 , basically following the instructions from this thread to the letter. Through DOSBox, I installed the Windows version of KQ6 that's found on the 2nd KQ Collection from 1997. Everything works beautifully, except the sound isn't all there. Sound effects play, I get voices, and I get music, but the music is missing instruments like any sort of rhythm section. It's almost like I've got a surround sound system with only 2 speakers working. I can't seem to tell if it's the sound driver that's the culprit or the game itself. I don't know what the windows version of KQ6 chooses for its music card, but it sounds like General MIDI to me, which I never have problems with in the DOS versions. I've opened up the sierra.ini file and this is what it says:

[info]
title=King's Quest VI
confirmdac=TRUE
confirmmidi=TRUE
cursorview=TRUE
minhunk=204K
minhires=375K
audioBuffs=2
synthtype=basesynth
audpath=D:\
audio=D:\
sync=D:\
movieplayer=1

The basesynth thing looks like it could be a culprit, but I have no idea what to really look for as far as .ini files are concerned. KQ6 is the only game I prefer the Windows version of, so I am somewhat out of my area of expertise. Can anyone help me figure out what the problem is?

"Yep...here I am."

Reply 1 of 5, by sideshowcris

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ah! I figured it out. All I had to do was reinstall the game and let the Sierra setup run its tests to assure itself that it could use my extended set. I didn't let it run the test the first time because every time it does through XP it decides to crash my computer instead. 3.1 through DOSBox is a different matter, though.

Now I am playing KQ6 exactly as I want to on my supermachine. This rules!

"Yep...here I am."