VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by SuperPie

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

I have a P4-3Ghz with Nvidia Ti-4200 128MB desktop. XP Pro with all latest updates.

I don't play many games on it, and when I do it's usually emulators. So I never really noticed this problem before, but on 2D Windows games I have really bad screen tearing. Most emulators have built-in triple buffering or vsync and they always work great for me. Funny thing is the only one that doesn't is DOSbox (very choppy with buffering on, odd because all other emus run smooth).

Games-wise, in particular I tried Diablo 1 today, and noticed the screen tearing when the character walked around.

I tried every possible setting in my Nvidia driver (vsync on, triple buffer on) and also used RivaTuner to force those same things. I guess those settings only affect certain things that Diablo 1 doesn't use. Changing refresh rate didn't make much difference either, I tried 60Hz and 75Hz.

I tried a few other 2D Windows games and found the same result - terrible screen tearing. For example, Eternal Daughter (freeware game).

Can anyone help me fix the screen tearing in 2D?

Thanks!

Reply 3 of 19, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
SuperPie wrote:

But it's a Windows game, and I'm not using DosBox to run it. Thats why I posted it in the Windows games forum, not here.

yep
i dont' understand why this topic was moved, it's well known fact that Diablo is a windows game
p.s. I get screen tearing on ATI too

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 5 of 19, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

MiniMax hires a truck to ease all the moving!

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 6 of 19, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Heh heh my fault. I read something about DOSBox. I forgot Diablo was a Windows game. Mea culpa. 😎

Last edited by eL_PuSHeR on 2008-07-09, 19:24. Edited 1 time in total.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 12 of 19, by dudalb

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This is wierd,since Diablo has a reputation for getting along fine with new computers. It even likes Vista.
I have a duo core running XP SP3 with a Nividia 8600 card, and Diablo runs fine..no problems.
Because it happens on both ATI and Nividia it seems to be a directX problem on some system rather then a Video Card Driver problem.
I would try, if you are running on XP or Vista, compatability mode, then switching to 16 bit color or, if that fails, turning down the acclerations features on your video card.
I might even contact Blizzard support. Usually this is hopeless for a game that is 12 years old but Blizzard does seem to pride itself on it's support and takes a geniune interest in it's older games.

Reply 16 of 19, by UK_John

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ratfink wrote:

Have you tried using an older video driver?

Rather than go down that route I copied all the files ofthe CD, then burned them back on a DVD-R disk and then installed from that with no problem. I suppose someone is going to call me a games pirate now! 😀

Reply 18 of 19, by UK_John

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Davros wrote:
UK_John wrote:

I suppose someone is going to call me a games pirate now! 😀

Thats because you Arrrrr 😀

If you were a young man called James, I would reply Arrrrr Jim Lad!!! 😀

Reply 19 of 19, by pjpsyco

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Did you patch the game to the most recent 1.09 version?

I had an early copy, it gave me troubles (It was bundled with Starcraft and Warcraft II without their expansions). When I got that one patched to 1.09 it worked. The one I got when I bought the Diablo II battle chest has never had any problems.