VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I was trying to run "The House of the Dead" in a friend's computer (more precisely, his son's computer). It was an spanish edition from FX Interactive.

The problem is that the game shows black boxes around most textures (as if it were unable to render transparency). It shows black boxes around trees, damage, gunsight... everything.

I've tried it using default mode (2D very ugly mode) and direct 3d (slightly less ugly mode), but it remains the same. Actually, in d3d damage transparency is "almost" shown (50% transparency where it should be 100% transparency).

The game runs in an Windows XP, using a Nvidia 6600 and DirectX 9.

Also, i don't know if it can be run at highers resolutions than 640x480.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 1 of 8, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Zup wrote:

using a Nvidia 6600

This is your problem. You are playing on a card that nvidia intends to cripple support for legacy apps and games on. They do not want you to play HOTD, they want you to play Crysis/Prince of Persia/etc.
I don't know if HOTD supports glide mode though, probably not

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 2 of 8, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I know the demo works in Vmware 6 using 98SE as a guest.

You could try older NVIDIA drivers. Best place to start would be the ones that came on the CD with the card.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 3 of 8, by olemogamer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

That's not true. I play HOTD on two different XP pc's and have no problems with either one. One of them has a 7950GT 512 mb card running the May 08 drivers. I didn't have any problems using older drivers either.

Since I don't have this problem, I really can't help you. But I wanted to make clear it's not because nvidia cards don't work with older apps.

Reply 4 of 8, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've downloaded it from an abandonware site and it works in my computer (Nv 7900GS with v.163, XP SP3, Dx9,). Crap!

Definitely, I'm clueless now...

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 5 of 8, by Devil Master

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have the same problem with Sega Rally 2 (the regular 2-disc version that I run on Windows XP): most textures are surrounded by black boxes instead of transparent areas.
I tried to download a "ripped" version and install it, but if I try to run that, a message comes up saying it does not support NT-based operating systems, so I deleted it.

Reply 7 of 8, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This is odd. I don't have either problem in either game, but I do with Sega's Marine Fishing - the Japanese demo you can see properly underwater (and it has some sort of network mode!) but the UK Empire Interactive version fog obscures everything...

Sega PC games have always been a bit "special"...

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor

Reply 8 of 8, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, I have a problem with Daytona USA. I have to disable hardware acceleration for the game to simply run (or enable "ForceDirectDrawEmulation" in ACT 5.0 for Daytona.exe). It wasn't necessary back when I had a Geforce 6800.