VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Slavo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, i have just bought this great game, but as with almost every one that old there is a problem 😒

Game installs, no problem at all, but when i'm trying to run it in 32bit color mode it runs but with 256 colors
I have applied v1.1 patch but with no result 🙁
as far as i know there are almost no information regarding this issiue anywhere in the web, so maybe someone here will kindly help me.

I'm using
Athlon 1,7xp 384Mb SDR ram, Radeon 9200, Sound blaster 128pci, Windows 2000 sp4

Sry for my English 😜

Reply 2 of 9, by olemogamer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This game does run in 32 bit color mode. I have no problem playing it on a Win 98SE machine. I did try it in XP and got nothing so I gave up on it. The machine I play on is a PII 300 MMX with 64 meg RAM and a 8 meg Matrox G100 card.

Reply 3 of 9, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

No, I mean in the in-game menus is there an option to use 32bit color?

IIIRC, this game is from 1997. Most games from around that time didn't use 32bit color by default nor did most games even have the option. Alot of games from that period used 256 colors.

Are you saying that you need to change the desktop color depth to 256 colors to play the game? If so then you can just download a resolution/color depth changer program and put it in a batch file to execute before playing the game.

In Windows XP you can simply use the compatibility mode tab and choose "Run in 256 colors" but Windows 2000 doesn't have this option.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 4 of 9, by Slavo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

No, i don't need to change my desktop resolution, game runs on my current settings (1280x1024 32bit) number of colors in game are set by adding
"-1 32k" to .exe but it still launch in 256 color mode, and i tried using compatibility mode, but with no sucess

Reply 6 of 9, by olemogamer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

There is no in-game menu asking you to play in 256 or 32 bit mode. But in the games file, there are two start icons. One will start the game in 256 mode and the other will start the game in 32 bit mode. My pc runs in 32 bit color, so I used the 32 bit mode icon. I never tried the 256 mode icon to see what happens next.

Reply 8 of 9, by doomer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

^^^^^^^^

Read hal's post. 😀

I finished this beautiful game last year.

Indeed it's not 32 Bit but 32k colours. And it worked fine overall.
Should work on XP and Vista.

Reply 9 of 9, by Slavo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My mistake, sorry about that 32bit color 😉 but problem stays, it doesn't look like it should or maybe it's my false memory of this game 😒

Anyway, thanks for all your replys 😀