VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Devil Master

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I found Formula 1 97 for sale, but before deciding to buy it or not, I need to know: can it be installed on a modern machine (which does not have a 3DFX card)?
I know of at least one game which tries to detect a 3DFX card during installation, and if none is found, the game is not installed (F1 Racing Simulation, by Ubisoft). Is this also the case with Formula 1 97?

Reply 3 of 15, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

there *might* be special versions around that got bundled with certain hardware and will not run without it. I remember a couple of titles that came with my matrox mystique and those I was never able to install on another "card"...

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 5 of 15, by sam767

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i have original ubisoft F1 Racing simulation , but whenver i start the game i get Error message "Cannot initialize F1RS. You do not have enough space on your hard drive." i still have like 200 GB tho 🤣 , is this something related to Virtual Memory ?

EDITED

Windows xp sp3
6800 ultra
1GB or DDR

EDITED 2

oh yeah the Compatibility mode didn't work either

Reply 6 of 15, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

you need to get a program called resplendant resolver to fix the free space problem
http://www.resplendence.com/resolver

"Many older applications just use a single 32 bit a value to store the total amount of free disk space. Programmers know that this means that such programs misreport on drives larger than 2 or 4GB. Now you just make your program think there is just enough free disk space so that you can run your older application from your 30GB harddisk."

Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness

Reply 7 of 15, by sam767

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Davros wrote:

you need to get a program called resplendant resolver to fix the free space problem
http://www.resplendence.com/resolver

"Many older applications just use a single 32 bit a value to store the total amount of free disk space. Programmers know that this means that such programs misreport on drives larger than 2 or 4GB. Now you just make your program think there is just enough free disk space so that you can run your older application from your 30GB harddisk."

still not working 🙁

Reply 8 of 15, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
i have original ubisoft F1 Racing simulation , but whenver i start the game i get Error message "Cannot initialize F1RS. You do […]
Show full quote

i have original ubisoft F1 Racing simulation , but whenver i start the game i get Error message "Cannot initialize F1RS. You do not have enough space on your hard drive." i still have like 200 GB tho , is this something related to Virtual Memory ?

EDITED

Windows xp sp3
6800 ultra
1GB or DDR

EDITED 2

oh yeah the Compatibility mode didn't work either

Try using ACT 5.0, there is a custom fix mode which lies or change the way the free space is returned to the application.

I found Formula 1 97 for sale, but before deciding to buy it or not, I need to know: can it be installed on a modern machine (which does not have a 3DFX card)?
I know of at least one game which tries to detect a 3DFX card during installation, and if none is found, the game is not installed (F1 Racing Simulation, by Ubisoft). Is this also the case with Formula 1 97?

You can run it with no problems. Both the D3D and 3dfx (with a glide emulator) run fine for me.

Reply 10 of 15, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

you could try installing to a usb thumb drive and then copying to your hdd
or copy some dvd'd to your hdd leaving about 1 gb free
of maybe set your swapfile to a fixed size 199gb

Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness

Reply 11 of 15, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's not that hard to make it. When you got ACT5.0 installed, open it and click on "fix". Name and locate the game. Next select no compatibility mode (none) and then advance again. Now check the box on EmulateGetDiskFreeSpace and advance once more. Advance again and then save. Now install the database you just made and you're set.

Reply 14 of 15, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

ps: yes there are 2 different files in the f197 folder
f197d3d.exe
f197w.exe

I just installed it and it works under xp
use f197d3d.exe

f197w.exe if you have a voodoo card or are using a wrapper (havnt tested)