VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by thecrankyhermit

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've got a Win98SE disc lying around, and it might be useful to have a VM to install it on. What would be the best freeware tool? I tried Sun's VirtualBox, but it was horribly slow and only supported 640x480 at 16 colors. 24/32-bit color support and sound support are mandatory, as is playable performance. Decent snapshot support would be a bonus.

Running:
Windows 10
Core i5-6600
Geforce GTX 970
8GB RAM

Reply 1 of 18, by wildweasel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So far the only one I've had success with is QEMU, but it's certainly not perfect (I only installed it for one game and it doesn't do keyboard handlers very well), nor is it very easy to use.

wwsig2-button1.pngwwsig2-center.pngwwsig2-button2.png

Reply 3 of 18, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

and if you have a super faster processor you can use swiftshader in your guest to run DX8/9 games.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 4 of 18, by thecrankyhermit

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Are there even any DX8/9 games that you would VM? I've never had any problems just running anything that was made this century.

Running:
Windows 10
Core i5-6600
Geforce GTX 970
8GB RAM

Reply 5 of 18, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Did you read the FAQ of Virtualbox? There is no support for guest additions in Windows 9x/Me, but it states that you may use a generic VESA driver to get higher resolutions or color dephts. I've got a Windows 95 OSR2 installed that way. Also, pay attention to the "halt" note.

I had a Windows 98SE machine in VMWare, but then I switched to Virtualbox (it is easier to maintain in Linux). Windows 95 games works great in Virtualbox.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 6 of 18, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
thecrankyhermit wrote:

Are there even any DX8/9 games that you would VM? I've never had any problems just running anything that was made this century.

It's a pretty small list of games. Usually only needed when games don't work on a 64bit OS or you have graphics issues with drivers.

Reply 7 of 18, by thecrankyhermit

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Did you read the FAQ of Virtualbox? There is no support for guest additions in Windows 9x/Me, but it states that you may use a generic VESA driver to get higher resolutions or color dephts. I've got a Windows 95 OSR2 installed that way. Also, pay attention to the "halt" note.

I got that driver. 32-bit 1024x768 works now, but it's still horribly, horribly slow. Running "rain" didn't do a thing.

Running:
Windows 10
Core i5-6600
Geforce GTX 970
8GB RAM

Reply 8 of 18, by thecrankyhermit

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've been trying to get GTA running, and I've tried Virtual PC, VMWare Server, and VirtualBox. All have issues.

Virtual PC:
The game actually runs, but as soon as I finish the first level, it crashes to this:
vpc.jpg
This file *does* exist. Also, this error message occurs if I try to quit normally. On my WinXP machine, if I quit normally, it quits normally, so this issue is definitely isolated to the VM.

Also, GTA UK doesn't work at all. Running it plays the intro FMV, and then it crashes to this:
vpcuk.jpg

VMWare Server:
Running it promptly makes it say this:
vpc.jpg

Also, I haven't figured out how to get sound working yet. It seems I need to install drivers, but I have no idea what drivers or where to get them.

VirtualBox:
Everything is horribly slow. It takes at least 10 minutes just to browse to the game's directory, and running the game makes the VM hang at a black screen.

Running:
Windows 10
Core i5-6600
Geforce GTX 970
8GB RAM

Reply 9 of 18, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Are you using the GTA 1 that you can download straight from Rockstar? AFAIK it works fine in Windows.

Reply 11 of 18, by thecrankyhermit

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ok, just for the hell of it, I tried the Rockstar Classics version. It doesn't work either - exact same issues as in my other topic.

Running:
Windows 10
Core i5-6600
Geforce GTX 970
8GB RAM

Reply 12 of 18, by thecrankyhermit

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ok, I figured out why the game within Virtual PC was giving me grief! Getting all three things installed was a bit of a hassle in the first place, so it seemed like the best way to get it on the VM was to take the whole installation directory, copy it to an ISO, mount the ISO to the VM, and copy everything from the ISO to the VM hard drive.

Problem is, this caused all of the files to become read-only, even after copying them to the VM hard drive. And GTA wasn't expecting some of these files to be read-only. Hence, the problems.

So I tried zipping up my installation directory and putting the zip file on the ISO instead, and unzipping into the VM hard drive. It seems to be working pretty well now.

Running:
Windows 10
Core i5-6600
Geforce GTX 970
8GB RAM

Reply 13 of 18, by UK_John

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Virtual PC has a shared folders options, you can just copy anything into the folder setup in Virtual PC, start up Virtual PC, go to that shared folder and bring in whatever file you need. I get patches and mods into Virtual PC thisa way. Also, with the latest Virtual PC, you can install the VM additions and actually have drag and drop.

Reply 14 of 18, by thecrankyhermit

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Installing "VM additions" broke GTA - it made it have the same garbled graphics that it does when I just run it normally.

Running:
Windows 10
Core i5-6600
Geforce GTX 970
8GB RAM

Reply 15 of 18, by UK_John

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
thecrankyhermit wrote:

Installing "VM additions" broke GTA - it made it have the same garbled graphics that it does when I just run it normally.

Well, it didn't on mine...... Such is PC gaming....! 😀

Reply 16 of 18, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You may have to reduce video hardware acceleration in the guest for some games.

Reply 17 of 18, by thecrankyhermit

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I don't see how that would help. Virtual PC with VM additions has the exact same problem as just running the game natively does. Reducing video acceleration didn't do a thing to solve the problem when I ran it natively - I can't see any reason why it would suddenly solve the problem when it runs on Virtual PC.

Running:
Windows 10
Core i5-6600
Geforce GTX 970
8GB RAM