VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi,
Which would be the most recommended Virtualization utility for playing games? I would like to run GTA 1 and, if possible, direct3d games that use DX 5 and 6. Is there such a Virtual Machine that meets these?

Reply 1 of 10, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

No VM or wrapper program provides D3D support lower than DX8 (except of course if you use Linux in a VM and then use Wine)

Microsoft Virtual PC is the best VM for Windows 9x.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 3 of 10, by Norton Commander

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I use Virtual PC in XP with DOS 6.22 as a guest. I use it mostly to mess around with boot disks but I also have WFW 3.11 running with network support since it emulates an Intel NIC. It runs DOS very well and even a few of the DOS games I've run under it. I also have a Win 98 guest but haven't tried running any games in it since I have a Windows 98 partition on my PC for that purpose. VPC only emulates an SB16 with no midi support so you're better off running DOSBOX for games and those old skool PC demos.

Reply 6 of 10, by temptingthelure

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

All the real mode DOS games like wolf3d, corridor 7, blake stone, etc run like crap for me on DosBOX, dont know why.

Rise of the Triad modding site!
http://rott.s4.bizhat.com

Reply 7 of 10, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Under DOSBox they run fine for me, but under VPC they run like crap. I just need to set the cycles to max and core to dynamic.

Reply 8 of 10, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I just need to set the cycles to max and core to dynamic.

Yes, but to be honest that's unfair because you can read and he can't.

It's not like the README file was written just for fun.

Reply 10 of 10, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thank you all. I'll try VPC for win98se. Now I gotta find something that supports Direct3D. nVidia drivers support for Direct3D 5 and 6 is getting worse everyday.