VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Old Fox

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

7th Guest w/Patch installed & ran fine on XP. No sound problems. I have some visual flickering while moving around. Any ideas would be appreciated.

11th Hour installed fine. Cannot get it to run under any circumstances. Set compatibility for Win95, 256 colors, 640x480 res. Heeelp please.

Oh, BTW, neither of these games will install from a DVD Drive. I had to use my CD/RW drive to install & run the games. This may help someone who is having problems.

OLd Fox

" I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it."
Colonel Nathon Jessup

Reply 2 of 13, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Old Fox 7th Guest w/Patch installed & ran fine on XP.

Really. That should be a shock for some:
showthread.php?threadid=237&highlight=7th+guest
showthread.php?threadid=934&highlight=7th+guest

11th Hour installed fine. Cannot get it to run under any circumstances. Set compatibility for Win95, 256 colors, 640x480 res. Heeelp please.

Welcome to the crowd of Titanic people who weren't able to make it to the lifeboats.
showthread.php?threadid=237&highlight=11th+hour
showthread.php?threadid=934&highlight=11th+hour
Please feel free to thrash around and scream until the cold water sucks the life out of you.

Where do I get these terrible analogies? Anyway, AFAIK Snover made some progress with 11th hour, but not 7th Guest. Check in with him.

Reply 3 of 13, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There was a beta Windows Groovie interpreter that used DirectX that was released by Trilobyte shortly before they went under. It can be found on PATCHES SCROLLS. That'll get 11th Hour working for you, albeit rather unstably.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 4 of 13, by Old Fox

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, it never ran stably on the system it was designed for. Thanks, Ill play with it and let you know if it works.

" I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it."
Colonel Nathon Jessup

Reply 5 of 13, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Touché. Amazingly enough I've gotten more than a few troublesome games to work on my old DELL laptop without a problem -- quite the opposite of what you usually see occurring with laptops. Too bad the onboard audio isn't quite up-to-snuff, as they say.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 6 of 13, by Old Fox

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
eL_PuSHeR wrote:

For video problems, you should try NOLFB

Not to be stupid, but what is NOLFB??

Colonel Nathon Jessup

Reply 7 of 13, by dud716

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

See the following....Perhaps Nicht or Snover can shed some light..

http://www.advsys.net/ken/build.htm

showthread.php?threadid=467

...in that quiet earth"

Reply 8 of 13, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I can't find my 11th hour CD anywhere...so I can't test it yet.

Did find my Win95 and Mac versions of 7th Guest. Win9x version runs fine except for some minor niggling with resolution settings (needs 640x480, but if you pre-set it to that, it leaves the left and upper bars of the window present on-screen...*grumble*).

The Mac version seems to run fine with BasiliskII, although I was surprised to find it a little on the sluggish side.

The Mac version always has some slight video "flickering" during screen transitions. The Win9x version only does that if you "Alt-Tab" during the game.

So finding a cheap Mac version of the "7th Guest" is a viable solution. Too bad that doesn't work for "11th Hour" (needs a PowerMac).

Reply 9 of 13, by Old Fox

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I got some patches for both games from Inferno's site. Both games run perfect now. Thank you all for your assistance. If I can help anybody with anything, let me know.

Thanks again
Old Fox

Colonel Nathon Jessup

Reply 10 of 13, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Old Fox I got some patches for both games from Inferno's site.

http://home.earthlink.net/~angeldancer27/XpGameList.htm

I was unaware that Trilobyte ever released a Windows executable for 7th Guest (outside of the Win9x re-release). Well that's a good thing, I'm guessing that the patch effectively turns the DOS version into the Win9x version.

Interesting site he has there. Good, logical, step-by-step processes...(the "General Drill" is overkill, though...)

Reply 11 of 13, by infernoj13usa

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Nicht Sehr Gut wrote:

Interesting site he has there. Good, logical, step-by-step processes...(the "General Drill" is overkill, though...)

well, you know what they say... "women love the rehash"
😁

Inferno

Reply 12 of 13, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by infernoj13usa well, you know what they say... "women love the rehash"

The logic behind it is good, but I'm just imagining these two guys trying to install a bunch of programs (one right after the other):

Dude1: Aw man! I don't believe it!
Dude2: What now?
Dude1: Installing this game means we have to scan the drive and DeFrag it first...
Dude2: What?! Again!?
Dude1: Yeah, this is like the 5th time today...it's gonna take forever to get these things installed.

Yes, logic should kick in at some point...but I'm willing to bet it's happened.