VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by jamyskis

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'd been going nuts trying to find a solution to getting Virtua Cop to run or even install on modern PCs. I did manage to get it to run under XP, but as soon as I shifted to more advanced PCs (Dual Core and the like), the installer started to like my PC less and less. A pity, as the game itself runs absolutely beautifully under XP.

Anyway, for this solution, you'll need:
* One CD burner.
* A reasonable burning program
* A blank CD
* A copy of Daemon Tools (or similar)
* Several cups of tea or coffee.

1. Insert your Virtua Cop CD and copy all of the files contained within to a directory on your hard drive. Let's name it C:\VCOP

2. Open the file AUTORUN.INF in Notepad. Change the line:
OPEN=SETUP.EXE
to
OPEN=NATIVE.EXE

This step is necessary because SETUP.EXE tries to determine whether you have NVIDIA hardware and, if you do, will launch NV_SETUP.EXE. Problem is, although it will successfully detect your GeForce GTX card, it won't like it in the slightest and all you'll get are error messages. There's no advantage to hardware acceleration anyway these days. Save AUTORUN.INF and close it.

3. Open the file SSP.INI in Notepad (not SSP2.INI, this refers to the aforementioned NVIDIA install). Scroll down to the [Runtime] section (near the bottom). Change the line:
DirectX = Yes
to
DirectX = None

To be on the safe side, you can also wipe the entire DirectX section at the bottom. This prevents the old version of DirectX on the CD from being forcefully installed, which would bring the installer to a grinding halt, as XP does not like that version of DirectX. Save SSP.INI and close it.

4. Open your CD burning program and copy all of the files in C:\VCOP to your CD project. Burn the project to a CD image (don't waste your precious blank CD just yet. BIN/CUE format is a good idea for reasons I will explain later. You can't run the installer directly from C:\VCOP, as the installer insists on it being run from CD.

This is technically enough to at least get the game running. Mount the CD image in your virtual CD drive and try to install the game. If it works, and you can install the game, there should be no further problems. Remember that the CD image does not have the music tracks - music can be played directly from the original game CD. If there's any interest in having a full installer CD with music tracks and people can't figure out how to make one, I'll explain it later.

Reply 1 of 3, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Daytona USA doesn't like new videocards, too. The way to get it working is to create a profile for it in ACT 5.x with the flag "ForceDirectDrawEmulation". I had no problems with Virtua Cop 1, though.

Reply 2 of 3, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
jamyskis wrote:
2. Open the file AUTORUN.INF in Notepad. Change the line: OPEN=SETUP.EXE to OPEN=NATIVE.EXE […]
Show full quote

2. Open the file AUTORUN.INF in Notepad. Change the line:
OPEN=SETUP.EXE
to
OPEN=NATIVE.EXE

Why not just disable autorun for CDs in your XP installation (or cancel out of it if XP prompts you) and run NATIVE.EXE manually?

Of course, that won't solve the DirectX installation problem.