VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by ux-3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Is it possible to use a Voodoo1 alongside a glide wrapper in Win98se?

The idea would be to have the Voodoo1 for the obnoxious games, while everything else enjoys the wrappers advantages.

Reply 4 of 6, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

yes, AFAIK, there are two ways of making a game use a glide wrapper.
1. put the glide dlls (glide2x.dll and/or (if availlable) glide3x.dll) in the game's main folder (where the exe of the game is)
2. put the glide dlls in the Windows folder (or Windows/system32, not so sure about that, I *think* Windows folder), this way the glide wrapper will be used for every game.
Way 1. is better since it is more easily exchangeable and Windows might complain when you muck around with dlls in its folder...

Same with using the glide wrapper instead of the built in Voodoo card.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 5 of 6, by Rekrul

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Dominus wrote:
yes, AFAIK, there are two ways of making a game use a glide wrapper. 1. put the glide dlls (glide2x.dll and/or (if availlable) g […]
Show full quote

yes, AFAIK, there are two ways of making a game use a glide wrapper.
1. put the glide dlls (glide2x.dll and/or (if availlable) glide3x.dll) in the game's main folder (where the exe of the game is)
2. put the glide dlls in the Windows folder (or Windows/system32, not so sure about that, I *think* Windows folder), this way the glide wrapper will be used for every game.
Way 1. is better since it is more easily exchangeable and Windows might complain when you muck around with dlls in its folder...

Not to mention that putting the DLLs in the Windows directory will make some games automatically choose Glide other other rendering methods. This can cause major problems because Glide wrappers don't work 100%. When I tried to play Return to Castle Wolfenstein, the game kept crashing on me. I finally realized that it was trying to use Glide. I moved the wrapper files out of the system directory and then the game defaulted to either D3D or OpenGL and worked fine.