VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by seanpko

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey guys there was a game from my childhood that I'm trying to find. It was like that tanks game that everyone plays online nowadays for free, you know the turn based one where you aim, change the power for your blast, move, and even change what kind of shot your tank shoots. Well, there was another game that had the same mechanics but was in space with star ships. Your opponents were on other planets and you would shoot at them from your planet. It was cool you could bounce your shots off the edge of the screen to hit other planets and if you missed the other planet would have a big crater in it and eventually you could even destroy the planet another ship was on so that they would bounce off to another. I can't remember the name of the game (I only had the demo as a kid). But I drew my own picture of a typical game of it, if it helps anyone know what I'm talking about:
http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r286/seanp … ceTanksGame.png

I drew the ships in black but they were various colors and there were various planets and the game looked better than this. But can anyone tell me the name of this game?

1 Peter 2:24 "For he bore our sins in his body on the cross so that we would die to sin and live to righteousness; by his wounds you were healed."

Reply 1 of 11, by seanpko

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Oh and I played this game sometime around 1997 or so on a windows 95 computer. So the game came out anywhere from 1995 to 1998

1 Peter 2:24 "For he bore our sins in his body on the cross so that we would die to sin and live to righteousness; by his wounds you were healed."

Reply 3 of 11, by seanpko

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Nah, but I could see how it one might think it looks like that. The game required you to on your planet (which was usually only slightly bigger than your space ship). It had more features than gravity wars probably because it came out later.

Reply 4 of 11, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Warheads. Published by ionos, developed by TotalPlay, and could play online on TEN (and boy was it fun shooting off excessive custom made weapons)

Oh, it's also made in 1997, supported 320x240 ModeX (smooth 60hz scrolling) and 640x480 DirectX (which was choppy). It had a tracker soundtrack.

You'll most likely stumble more into the Warheads SE remake from Retro64 which can still be purchased. That version came out much later (2001) and isn't the one you grew up on.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 5 of 11, by seanpko

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Aww, thank you so much! I was looking for this game periodically for the last few years (obviously not with much determination) in search engines using basic game mechanic phrases. Thanks very much!

Reply 6 of 11, by seanpko

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've gone to the official site and downloaded the free version but unfortunately my new computer doesn't seem particularly compatible. I click on the .exe file and nothing happens. I have the 64 bit windows 7 and I've tried running it in the various compatibility modes like windows 95, 98 and with 250 color and so forth but nothing loads up.

Reply 7 of 11, by SKARDAVNELNATE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sounds like a processor affinity issue. It happens with programs that don't know how to utilize multi-core processors. I haven't experimented with this myself but I recall some mention that a Microsoft utility called DevCon could limit the programs to a single core.

Reply 8 of 11, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

[MOVED to Milliways section]

Can't you change the affinity under Taks Manager => Processes => Right mouse button => Set affinity?

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 10 of 11, by SKARDAVNELNATE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
eL_PuSHeR wrote:

Can't you change the affinity under Taks Manager => Processes => Right mouse button => Set affinity?

If the program has already misplaced some of it's processes on the other core, setting affinity after the fact probably won't help.

Now looking into it again I don't know what commands to use for DevCon. Instead this looks easier to use.

Launch n Set 1.3
http://www.brothersoft.com/launch-n-set-141709.html

Found another program where you can just edit the command line.
http://www.kalme.de/index.php?option=com_cont … id=44&Itemid=35