VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by doggie015

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This is my first post here (you can see my basic comp specs in my signature). And I have a couple of Windows 95 games that I would like to work under XP. One is MechWarrior 2: Mercinaries which runs just fine under compatability mode (Windows 95) and with MW2Inject.exe running but when I launch a mission the graphics stuff up and for some reason it runs very slow (About 0.25 FPS) making it unplayable.
The other game is HeliCops, under compatibly mode (Again; Windows 95) ALMOST everything works; but when the mission launches the graphics are fine but as soon as I gain control of the helicopter; it crashes.

Windows XP SP3
1.8 GHz processor
1 GB RAM
Integrated Intel graphics

Reply 1 of 14, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If neither of those use 3D acceleration, the easiest way to go would probably be to use a Windows 98 installation inside VMware or Virtual PC - but there might be some other, more convenient (but less obvious) solution available.

If they do use 3D acceleration, do you have the latest driver for your Intel Integrated Graphics?

Also, you're using the original discs for these games and not something you downloaded from somewhere, right? There are a lot of problematic, incomplete rips out there.

Reply 2 of 14, by doggie015

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am using the original disks for both games; I have a windows 98 install in Virtual PC and it does not work for Mech Warror 2: Mercenaries (Colours are weird and nothing but blue outside the cockpit window!). I shall test HeliCops on that and notify you of the results; at a last resort I have an old Linux box somewhere that I can drag out and whack Windows 98 on.

I shall check for the latest integrated graphics drivers

Windows XP SP3
1.8 GHz processor
1 GB RAM

Reply 4 of 14, by jamyskis

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Also, if I'm not mistaken, MW2: Mercenaries also has the DOS version on the same CD. I personally prefer the DOS version, so if all else fails, you can always try it under DOSBox (provided you have a meaty enough processor!)

Reply 5 of 14, by doggie015

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I think I may have to bring out that Linux box... HeliCops didn't work on Virtual PC running Windows 98 (Messed up graphics AND no USB support on Virtual PC!) I have yet to try it with the updated graphics drivers but I am doubtful about it's success.. And as for MechWarrior 2: Mercenaries; I shall try the steps mentioned and if they do not work; the linux box will have to come out (It is only running a Pentium II so it should work)
P.S. The Linux box will run Windows 98 in case you were wondering (Unless I can dig out a copy of Windows 95 which I am sure that I have somewhere)

Windows XP SP3
1.8 GHz processor
1 GB RAM

Reply 7 of 14, by jamyskis

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

And don't forget about WINE, I have a number of games that, ironically enough, run better under WINE than under native Windows.

Ryzen 5 3600 @ 4.2GHz per core
16GB RAM DDR4
AMD RX 580
6TB hard drive over three hard drives
Windows 10 Pro

Reply 8 of 14, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ih8registrations wrote:

There's also virtualbox, qemu, & bochs, among others:

If it's not running in Virtual PC, what makes you think any of those other ones will work better? None of them has superior D3D support under Win9x guests at this point.

WineD3D, on the other hand, could conceivably do something:
http://wiki.winehq.org/WineD3DOnWindows

Last edited by Jorpho on 2010-01-24, 15:59. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 9 of 14, by Super Smash Bros. Fan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Wish there was an emulator that was made for Windows 95 games. Too many totally awesome games that I want on PC.

Huge gamer going into classic PC gaming. Gaming since 1999!

Reply 10 of 14, by jamyskis

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I think they will begin to pop up soon. I mentioned a long time ago on this forum the idea of forking DOSBox to create an application designed for running older Windows titles. I can well imagine that DOSBox will either be adapted to run Win95 or a seperate project making use of the CPU core, sound and graphic code together with a lot of stuff from the WINE project to form a comprehensive PC emulator based on Windows.

Actually, that's not a bad idea. WINE running Windows executables via an emulated Pentium core, graphics card and sound card. How feasible would that be, I wonder?

Ryzen 5 3600 @ 4.2GHz per core
16GB RAM DDR4
AMD RX 580
6TB hard drive over three hard drives
Windows 10 Pro

Reply 12 of 14, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
jamyskis wrote:

I can well imagine

Imagination is such a wonderful thing.

There's also the HX DOS Extender and ReactOS, of course. What more would you really need than a virtual machine with Direct3D support in Win9x guests, though?

But we're kind of getting off-topic now.

Reply 14 of 14, by temptingthelure

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jorpho wrote:
Imagination is such a wonderful thing. […]
Show full quote
jamyskis wrote:

I can well imagine

Imagination is such a wonderful thing.

There's also the HX DOS Extender and ReactOS, of course. What more would you really need than a virtual machine with Direct3D support in Win9x guests, though?

But we're kind of getting off-topic now.

I would pay for that. 😀