VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by thecrankyhermit

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm using the retail version with Wages of Sin installed, but I also have the Steam version. Steam version doesn't have Wages of Sin and it's also slightly censored, so I prefer the retail version. In order to get the game to run with 3D acceleration enabled, I need to use nHancer and turn on the driver extension limit.

The game runs just fine with 3D acceleration. But just now, I got to the Sintek Oilrig stage, and two cut-scenes play, and then after the second cut-scene ends, another loading screen happens, and just before before it finishes, the game crashes to the desktop with this:
consec.jpg
"Consecutive calls to LM_AllocBlock(-48,76) failed"

If hardware acceleration is disabled, then instead of crashing to the desktop, the console comes down and displays this text:
SinTek Oilrig
ERROR: Bad surface extents

Either way, I don't get to keep playing the game now.

Also, I can trigger the crash by bringing down the console and entering:
map oilrig

I'm going to try the Steam version, and see if the behavior is any different, but I'm not counting on it.

Running:
Windows 10
Core i5-6600
Geforce GTX 970
8GB RAM

Reply 1 of 6, by thecrankyhermit

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, turns out it *does* work on Steam. I got the retail version to work by copying base\maps\oilrig.bsp from the Steam directory to the retail installation dir.

Running:
Windows 10
Core i5-6600
Geforce GTX 970
8GB RAM

Reply 4 of 6, by thecrankyhermit

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I did this in nHancer:
nhance.png
Default value is 0, which breaks Quake II engine games.

I have both SiN and Wages of SiN patched to what I believe is the latest version of each.

Running:
Windows 10
Core i5-6600
Geforce GTX 970
8GB RAM

Reply 6 of 6, by thecrankyhermit

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm not sure it really matters. I know there's a maximum value - anything higher than that value and the game will crash. Same deal in SiN. There's probably a minimum value needed too, though I have no idea what it is. But anyway, 1000 worked for me in Anachronox too.

Running:
Windows 10
Core i5-6600
Geforce GTX 970
8GB RAM