VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Bambo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I would like to play Ubi Soft's F1 Racing Simulation from 1997 again. Also I would like to play it with a glide wrapper as 3DFX looked 100 times better in those days.

But there is one problem: The CD setup does not recognize a 3DFX card on my computer (which is of course true, as I just have a wrapper) and restricts the installation options to DirectX.

So how do I fake a Voodoo 😉 (using Win 7 64bit) ?

Reply 2 of 8, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Usually with glide games it can be any of the following:

A seperate executable.
In-game menu to switch renders
Configuration file
Command line argument

If you don't want to track down any of the above and you think the installer sets it up for you if you have a Voodoo card installed then you could try putting the .dll's in the c:\windows and c:\windows\system32 directories.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 5 of 8, by Bambo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
robertmo wrote:

generally

3dfx had less colors (16-bit only), and was more blur. Some people may consider more blur a better quality. Smoke may look better when it is more blur.

back in 1997 you only had 16 bit anyway. I have some other very old games with glide and directX options and glide generally looks better (F1 '97 is a very extreme case - the glide version is like another game).

But I tried the directX version of f1 racing and it's ok. it seems to have all graphics options of the glide version and looks very colorful (back then directX games tend to be very "grayish")

Reply 6 of 8, by akula65

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You might want to consult this page in the Wayback Machine:

http://www.f1rs.com/f1racing.html

The Technical FAQ indicates the following:

I'm having problems with my new Voodoo2 card.
1. If the F1RS install does not detect your Voodoo2 card, a couple of files are missed out of your windows/system directory. Some software specifically uses these files to recognise the existence of a 3DFX card (including F1RS). The most straight forward solution is to put the files back in - this will not cause any problems or degrade the performance of the newer drivers, but will improve compatibility. The missing files are glide.dll and sst1init.dll. If you have these files lying around on your hard disk, just copy them back into your windows/system directory.

If patches for the game are an issue, they can still be had here:

ftp://ftp.ubisoft.com/F1Racing/