VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Wulf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi

First post here, I'll try to keep within the forum rules.

I bought Shogo MAD new many years ago, and now, with my shiny new Windows 7 64 bit laptop I'm wondering if it can be returned to life. It's been about 5 years since I had a games-capable computer of any description, and I am amazed how many old games can be persuaded to run on Win7. Having a hundred odd old games to play, I have no desire to buy new ones (yet...)

I see the odd mention of Shogo here, but no instructions on how to install or run on Windows 7 (or Vista 64 bit) - the installer refuses to cooperate at all, it's incompatable with my OS. Can anyone assist?

Reply 1 of 9, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What specifically does the installer say when you try to run it?

If it's a 16-bit installer, then you may be able to install on a machine with a 32-bit Windows OS (or in virtual XP mode if you have Win7 Pro or higher) and then copy the installed files (and possibly registry data) over.

Reply 2 of 9, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yep, you'll have to install it on a 32bit OS and apply a NOCD patch and then copy it to your host.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 3 of 9, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

CDDrive:\Game

Copy the contents of that somewhere to your HDD, select all files and deselect read only. CD crack not needed (I have the CD in my second CD drive and Shogo still finds it), but you need to patch the game to the latest version.

CDDrive:\Data
CDDrive:\Movies

Copy the content of those folders to the same place you have shogo.exe (shogo rez for example should be in the same folder as shogo.exe) and you'll have a full install that can be no-cd cracked, but as said, it is not necessary as long as you don't mind inserting the CD each time you want to play.

The installer does create a reg key:
HKLM/SOFTWARE/Monolith Productions/Shogo/1.0
Key type REG_SZ, name "WorkingDirectory", you should be able to figure out the value yourself, but the reg key doesn't seem to be needed at all.

Reply 4 of 9, by Wulf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes! result!

Thank you ZellSF. As I said, I've been out of gaming for years - it appears these old games stood the test of time well!

It also seems that the 64 bit OS only ever has trouble with installers, never games!

Reply 6 of 9, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DosFreak wrote:

Yep, you'll have to install it on a 32bit OS and apply a NOCD patch and then copy it to your host.

You wouldn't even need a no-CD patch. Start the game up in multiplayer. There, your cd check is averted. 😀

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 8 of 9, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I keep a ton of them around along with Universal Extractor but it's easier to just load up a VM, install, patch, crack, archive (along with registry keys) and then copy to host. That way you can at least be reasonably certain that the game is properly installed.

On the backburner for my compat list is to go through each and every game with a software virtualization program and monitor the exact registry and files extracted and put that on the list......

Heard the other day that GOG uses Inno Setup to pack it's installers, so you can use this: http://innounp.sourceforge.net/ to extract them. 😁

Last edited by DosFreak on 2010-03-26, 22:12. Edited 1 time in total.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 9 of 9, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I tried using Universal Extractor a while back on something and it didn't work - I think maybe it was a Planescape: Torment patch installer that silently failed to run at all on Win7 x64 RC1 until I thought to disable UAC.

I plan to run most early Win9x stuff via Wine on Linux now. Games like Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II and Baldur's Gate 1 seem to fare a little better with Wine than even WinXP (though they still have quirks).