VOGONS

Common searches

POD on a P4

Topic actions

First post, by procerus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have discovered by extensive experimentation that POD will not run on an Intel Pentium IV. This has been confirmed by reading the comments of the few POD fanatics still visiting the game's active forums.

I have searched this forum and read all POD related threads including-
showthread.php?s=&threadid=496&highlight=POD

I am also a POD installation adept and comfortably had it working on my previous system (P3 600 with 256MB PC100 with Voodoo2 SLI on Windows 98lite). The only thing that has changed here is the motherboard, processor and memory. I now run a P4c 2.4 with 512MB Dual Channel 400MHz DDR on an Intel D875PBZ board with Voodoo2 SLI on Windows 98lite. And the game won't run. All my other glide games still work perfectly so it's not a Voodoo2 issue.

I've tried installing all versions (software, MMX and 3Dfx and combinations thereof). I have also laboriously tried all the patches and combinations of these. All that happens is that a Windows' hourglass appears for a split second and then... nothing. No crash, no error message, no game, no nothing. I would guess that one thread of the game's code is getting ahead of itself somehow.

The situation is actually rather laughable. I own and play many DOS games (including DOS glide). I fully expected one of these to fail on the new system but they all work fine. It looks as if my first candidate for a purpose-built legacy system will be a Windows game!!!

Anyone else got it working on a P4 or know anyone that has?

TIA

98lite with 629K of free conventional memory in full DOS mode using QEMM 9.0 (or 628K with UMBPCI.SYS providing real mode for FastVid) with SmartDrive, CD-ROM, CuteMouse, sound support and UniRefresh all loaded high.

Reply 2 of 6, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

WOW! Dege has a patch that gets POD running on a Pentium4 (well some versions, I got the MMX version running but the Direct3D version caused an error and my Pod Gold 3Dfx version isn't detected, but it's a great starting position, especially as his 3Dfx wrapper also now supports POD!):

http://www.freeweb.hu/dege/

Ice

Reply 3 of 6, by priestlyboy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hmm, I remember playing POD (MMX version) on the old P2 and I think I played it on my P4 without any problems but it's been a while. My P4 has mmx/sse/sse2 support. Never knew people had so much trouble with it.

Ieremiou
----------
Helping Debug DOSBox.

Reply 4 of 6, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Having talked to Dege about it thru e-mail it turns out Pod's problem was that it did a check to see what processor the computer is using and then exited as it didn't understand Pentium4!

So he just changed the processor ID tag so it passed okay! Annoyingly it has to be done seperately for each Pod EXE file so Dege concentrated on several popular ones. He's got another version coming that patches more versions (including the force feedback versions - but they crash when I plug my MOMO Racing wheel in!).

Ice

Reply 5 of 6, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Dege has updated the Pod/Pod Gold patch to include more versions (as Ubisoft went mental and made hundreds of different exes!). As before the best bet seems to be the 3Dfx Glide version (you need glide.dll and sst1init.dll in your windows/system32 folder for 3Dfx to be detected*) then use Dege's wrapper.

Go here for the patch: http://dege.freeweb.hu/

NOTE: Pod/Pod Gold doesn't like to exit! It crashed too on my old Win98 machine when exiting! Instead of exiting via quit, use Alt+F4.

*NOTE 2: There's more on what to do over here: http://home.arcor.de/hbredel/POD/POD-English/ … od-english.html

Ice