Common searches

Aliens vs. Predator Gold

Topic actions

First post, by SKARDAVNELNATE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I can't seem to get this game running properly on any of my systems.

I've installed AVP in Windows XP. At first the display was garbled and everything had trails reaching to the top left corner. I found a source code update here but it still isn't working right. First the level descriptions overlap with the difficulty menu, or wind up even lower on the screen so it disappears off the bottom. Second, I noticed during the Marine missions that the briefings which appear on monitors aren't playing leaving just the text from them. No animation or voice.

Next, I tried AVP in VPC 2007 running Windows 98. Apparently the mission loading screen causes it to crashes to desktop. This is after the intro movie. I disable intros in options and it still crashes after the difficulty is selected. I tried different resolutions and color settings with the same result

I then tried AVP in a Windows 98 system. At first I didn't get any display at all and after pressing enter a few times it returned to the desktop. I tried different resolutions and color settings which allowed me to see the opening and menus. Sometimes I could load the missions, others it would crash to desktop. This appears to be random as no combination of settings has worked consistently.

I also tried the source code update but it requires a newer version of Windows than 98. I thought about using the version of Direct X on the disc but it won't let me install that one since the version already installed is newer. Any other ideas?

Reply 2 of 122, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah I have that Steam version. They updated the engine to support D3D9 and converted the CDA to MP3s or something similar so you get music without a CD. Works very well. It's more than just a simple repackaging so I'd say it's definitely worth $5.

Reply 7 of 122, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Damn...brings back memories...though I played AVP2, it ROCKED!

I also have the AVP Gold laying around somewhere, but I think it's still wrapped in it's plastic like half of my games 🤣

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 8 of 122, by SKARDAVNELNATE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Davros wrote:

the probelms with avp were fixed years ago the light trial problem shouldnt exist any more (even without a fixed exe)

In the thread akula65 linked to, it says to use driver 163.75 to fix that. The current driver is 270.61 so it would seem the trailing has been broken again.

Reply 9 of 122, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

yep i just ran avp (ati 6950) and it didnt work
so i used the patch AvPx.zip and it works fine now (remember to run avpx.exe not avp.exe)

Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness

Reply 12 of 122, by Rekrul

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Tetrium wrote:

Damn...brings back memories...though I played AVP2, it ROCKED!

AVP2 tied the levels together better, and it was nice to play all the stages of the alien, but I thought it felt a little too scripted. The Primal Hunt add-on is even worse. In the human campaign, you get ambushed every ten feet or so.

Tetrium wrote:

I also have the AVP Gold laying around somewhere, but I think it's still wrapped in it's plastic like half of my games 🤣

The only thing I disliked about AVP Gold was the limited number of saves per level. I think on expert, you could only save three times. That's three times, not three save slots. And if you don't play all the levels on expert, you can't unlock all the bonus levels. I cheated and used a little hack that runs in the background and lets you save an unlimited number of times.

Also, I liked the alien models better in AVP Gold than in AVP2.

Reply 13 of 122, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Rekrul wrote:

The only thing I disliked about AVP Gold was the limited number of saves per level.

Aw, that keeps the suspense up! Clearly, you haven't ever played the original unpatched notgold version which had no saves at all!

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 14 of 122, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Rekrul wrote:

Also, I liked the alien models better in AVP Gold than in AVP2.

Reminds me...I never liked the runner being a much lighter color then the drone, it made the runner more difficult to find a good hiding spot (man...online surviver mode...with the aliens as the survivers!! 😁 Hide and seek haha!!)

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 15 of 122, by Rekrul

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
leileilol wrote:
Rekrul wrote:

The only thing I disliked about AVP Gold was the limited number of saves per level.

Aw, that keeps the suspense up! Clearly, you haven't ever played the original unpatched notgold version which had no saves at all!

No, and I wouldn't even attempt to!

Frankly, I hate games that don't allow in-level saving and I've passed up several games for that very reason. It's not that I consider myself a bad player, it's just that too many times you die for stupid reasons, like missing a jump, or not selecting the right weapon, or taking a wrong turn and getting trapped. When that happens, I don't consider it fun to have to replay the entire level over again.

Even with limited saves, unless you've already played and failed the level several times over, you don't have any idea where or when to save. I only have one save left, do I use it before opening this big door or do I chance it and risk losing all the progress of the last dozen rooms I've cleared? If I do save, how do I know that I don't still have half the level ahead of me?

A couple years ago, I played Spider-Man by Activision (which is buggy as hell on systems newer than it was designed for) and the game used checkpoints rather than allowing you to save. I had to replay some of the levels dozens of times. It didn't add anything to the game other than a lot of frustration at having to replay the same sections over and over and over and over...

Back to AVP Gold, I remember a section of corridor in one marine level where the lights were flickering on and off and a literally endless number of aliens drop out of holes in the ceiling until you reach the other end. I had to replay that section at least 30-40 times before I passed it. I came to hate that level.

Reply 16 of 122, by SKARDAVNELNATE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just discovered I have the same display problem with Dead Reckoning.
Fortunately this one works in Virtual PC 2007 running Windows 98.

Just discovered I have the same display problem with Forsaken.
Unfortunately in Virtual PC 2007 running Windows 98 I only see the left half of the screen. It seems okay on an actual 98 system though.

Reply 17 of 122, by Rhindle

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Looks like the enhancement to AVP Gold linked by the OP has recently been updated. With it, I can now play the game perfectly on my laptop running Windows 7 64-bit.

Has anyone had any luck converting the audio tracks on their original disc into ogg files to get the game's music to play? The directions aren't very clear on how to do this and I'm having some trouble.

I have mine set up in a Music folder located in C:\Program Files (x86)\Fox\Aliens versus Predator. I then saved a text file (titled "ogg_tracks") inside the folder that reads exactly like this:

Track1.ogg
Track2.ogg
Track3.ogg
Track4.ogg
Track5.ogg
Track6.ogg
Track7.ogg
Track8.ogg
Track9.ogg
Track10.ogg
Track11.ogg
Track12.ogg
Track13.ogg
Track14.ogg
Track15.ogg

(Each audio track inside the folder is then named the same.)

The music still doesn't play however, so I'm wondering if I'm missing another step where I need to add some kind of command parameter into the game's config file? (I'm thinking of the one saved in C:\Users\[username\\Documents\My Games\Aliens versus Predator\AliensVsPredator.cfg. Or maybe I'm missing a key dll file or something?

Reply 19 of 122, by sirlemonhead

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Rhindle wrote:
Looks like the enhancement to AVP Gold linked by the OP has recently been updated. With it, I can now play the game perfectly o […]
Show full quote

Looks like the enhancement to AVP Gold linked by the OP has recently been updated. With it, I can now play the game perfectly on my laptop running Windows 7 64-bit.

Has anyone had any luck converting the audio tracks on their original disc into ogg files to get the game's music to play? The directions aren't very clear on how to do this and I'm having some trouble.

I have mine set up in a Music folder located in C:\Program Files (x86)\Fox\Aliens versus Predator. I then saved a text file (titled "ogg_tracks") inside the folder that reads exactly like this:

Track1.ogg
Track2.ogg
Track3.ogg
Track4.ogg
Track5.ogg
Track6.ogg
Track7.ogg
Track8.ogg
Track9.ogg
Track10.ogg
Track11.ogg
Track12.ogg
Track13.ogg
Track14.ogg
Track15.ogg

(Each audio track inside the folder is then named the same.)

The music still doesn't play however, so I'm wondering if I'm missing another step where I need to add some kind of command parameter into the game's config file? (I'm thinking of the one saved in C:\Users\[username\\Documents\My Games\Aliens versus Predator\AliensVsPredator.cfg. Or maybe I'm missing a key dll file or something?

Hi,

I might have broken the ogg vorbis playback code. I'll look into it asap and get a fix up on the site 😀