Common searches

ATI Rage 128 Rage Dawning Demo

Topic actions

Reply 21 of 52, by RichB93

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
sliderider wrote:

Is anyone having issues with the sound not working? Maybe my machine is too new, but the sound doesn't work on my Phenom II rig.

Yup, it's because the audio is in ADPCM and it uses the MAX-FX engine, so the same problem occurs in Max Payne. I've used a hacked version of RASMaker to extract the assets and will try to put it back together with uncompressed audio which should allow it to play, although it keeps crashing with rebuilt RAS files.

Also, I PM'd someone on YouTube about the demo too, so here's a link to the demo in the original installer if anyone is interested:

http://www.mediafire.com/?19p4sp2sdvdrjff

Reply 22 of 52, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

BTW, my Radeon 6870 maxes it out (not unexpected). The FPS hovers around 67, which I'm guessing is the maximum framerate that this demo can be run at, unless there is some incompatibility between Windows 7 and the version of Windows this was meant to be run on and the Rage 128 and my Radeon that is holding it back. I ran it in Win 95 and Win 98 compatibility modes and got the same results.

Reply 23 of 52, by RichB93

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've got the audio working by keeping the assets decompressed in the root directory. It seems a little more crashy but if you keep trying to load it, it will load eventually and works fine while in-demo. Due to the audio being decompressed the demo is considerably larger than the original however it is only around 70MB (40MB compressed)

This should be useful to those that want to try this on a modern operating system 😀

Download it here: http://www.mediafire.com/?awa1y0165c0kvmh

Oh and also somewhat ironically the demo doesn't run on a Rage Fury Maxx unless it's patched, despite the card having 2 of them 🤣 Guess it must do the check via drivers names or something. When patched however it does run amazingly well 😁 (100fps average with no drops @ 1024x768x32)

🤣 🤣 Just for laughs I ran it on the Voodoo2s in SLI (8MB cards) and despite the odd stutter where it was loading textures from HDD it was generally 60fps @ 1024x768 too 🤣 🤣

Reply 24 of 52, by Norton Commander

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Davros wrote:

everything is copyrighted
are ati going to get you for making available a free demo - no

Hahahaha I'm pretty sure neither ATI nor Futuremark is going to care if I post some 10 year old demo.....The Mods here are a different story and that's who I was really directing my question to.

shspvr wrote:

What do you know I found it
It only seem to come with ver ATI Software Release 100 CD

Yup I checked my ATI Rage Fury Pro CD Release 109B, No Dawning Demo, just Hydra demo.

megatron-uk and RichB93 thanks for providing us with links to this demo, I've seen it requested on numerous forums while googleing, no one knew where to find it.

Reply 25 of 52, by RichB93

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
shspvr wrote:

Hmm, it might be worth uploading if you have the time as a few different versions exist. Early ones didn't even have the RAGE 128 detection and later versions had bugfixes. The latest version of it is from November 2001 I seem to recall seeing around the net.

Norton Commander wrote:
Hahahaha I'm pretty sure neither ATI nor Futuremark is going to care if I post some 10 year old demo.....The Mods here are a dif […]
Show full quote
Davros wrote:

everything is copyrighted
are ati going to get you for making available a free demo - no

Hahahaha I'm pretty sure neither ATI nor Futuremark is going to care if I post some 10 year old demo.....The Mods here are a different story and that's who I was really directing my question to.

shspvr wrote:

Yup I checked my ATI Rage Fury Pro CD Release 109B, No Dawning Demo, just Hydra demo.

megatron-uk and RichB93 thanks for providing us with links to this demo, I've seen it requested on numerous forums while googleing, no one knew where to find it.

You're welcome 😁 What is the Hydra demo? If it's not too large could you upload it please? Would be nice to get some other bits for the Rage Fury series of cards as my Maxx CD was so barren.

Reply 26 of 52, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Wow nice find on the demo. I think that all I remember of that is the waterfall. Some Rage 128 preview showed a vid cap of it and I've been haunted by the memory for years, unsure of where it came from.

Reply 27 of 52, by RichB93

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah, the great thing about YouTube is that you can ask people if they can upload their copy. I seem to remember asking you for the G400 tech demo but you'd misplaced it and could only find some screencaps you'd made back in the day, but I asked around and managed to get a copy of it eventually 😀 It's relatively easy to find now but back then it was a real pain and couldn't be found anywhere on the net 😜

Reply 29 of 52, by RichB93

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
shspvr wrote:

Hmm, it appears to have the same folder structure as the other installer but filesizes are different. The one from the YouTube video must be the latest version as it works in later versions of Windows, however your one and the other installer both do not launch. I'll do a little more investigation later 😀

Reply 30 of 52, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
swaaye wrote:

Wow nice find on the demo. I think that all I remember of that is the waterfall. Some Rage 128 preview showed a vid cap of it and I've been haunted by the memory for years, unsure of where it came from.

And the funny thing is the Rage does that waterfall beautifully by the standard of the day but can't do the one in the Turok demo without looking all blocky.

Reply 31 of 52, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
RichB93 wrote:

Yeah, the great thing about YouTube is that you can ask people if they can upload their copy. I seem to remember asking you for the G400 tech demo but you'd misplaced it and could only find some screencaps you'd made back in the day, but I asked around and managed to get a copy of it eventually 😀 It's relatively easy to find now but back then it was a real pain and couldn't be found anywhere on the net 😜

Can the G400 demo run on other cards or does it do a check? I'd like a copy of that one myself.

Reply 33 of 52, by RichB93

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
sliderider wrote:
RichB93 wrote:

Can the G400 demo run on other cards or does it do a check? I'd like a copy of that one myself.

Download link for it http://www.mediafire.com/?4qne4oq3unjta7n. Pretty funny actually, to force it to run on other cards you simply need to add the line:

i_promise_i_will_go_buy_a_matrox_g400

to the end of the matrox.cfg file 🤣

Reply 34 of 52, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
RichB93 wrote:
Download link for it http://www.mediafire.com/?4qne4oq3unjta7n. Pretty funny actually, to force it to run on other cards you sim […]
Show full quote
sliderider wrote:
RichB93 wrote:

Download link for it http://www.mediafire.com/?4qne4oq3unjta7n. Pretty funny actually, to force it to run on other cards you simply need to add the line:

Unfortunately it uses a 16-bit installer and I'm using Win7-x64. 🙁

Reply 35 of 52, by RichB93

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
sliderider wrote:
RichB93 wrote:
Download link for it http://www.mediafire.com/?4qne4oq3unjta7n. Pretty funny actually, to force it to run on other cards you sim […]
Show full quote
sliderider wrote:

Had the same problem myself 🙁 Even after I managed to get it extracted out I couldn't get it to launch, so not sure if it's because of Windows 7, being 64 bit or my specific graphics card. If you want me to extract it out and upload it I can do 😀

EDIT: Also just out of curiosity what release is your Fury Maxx disc? Mine is 120. Just thought I'd as as I presume a new one would have newer DVD player software, not that I have issues with my one but still it's always good to have the latest release.

Last edited by RichB93 on 2011-07-23, 22:31. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 36 of 52, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
RichB93 wrote:
sliderider wrote:
RichB93 wrote:

Had the same problem myself 🙁 Even after I managed to get it extracted out I couldn't get it to launch, so not sure if it's because of Windows 7, being 64 bit or my specific graphics card. If you want me to extract it out and upload it I can do 😀

If it uses a 16-bit installer, isn't there a good chance that the .exe will also be 16-bit? Also, does it make registry entries or put files in the Windows folder? Just collecting the files together in a zip does no good if none of the other functions that setup performs are done.

Reply 37 of 52, by RichB93

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
sliderider wrote:

If it uses a 16-bit installer, isn't there a good chance that the .exe will also be 16-bit?

No, it is fully 32-bit. I don't understand why they used a 16-bit installer, although I have seen it done on a few games as well for some reason 😒

Reply 38 of 52, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
RichB93 wrote:
sliderider wrote:

If it uses a 16-bit installer, isn't there a good chance that the .exe will also be 16-bit?

No, it is fully 32-bit. I don't understand why they used a 16-bit installer, although I have seen it done on a few games as well for some reason 😒

If you can put the files together in a zip that x64 can use, then go for it.

Reply 39 of 52, by RichB93

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
sliderider wrote:
RichB93 wrote:
sliderider wrote:

If you can put the files together in a zip that x64 can use, then go for it.

Uploading now... Also shock horror, it's actually started working on my Rage Fury MAXX 😳 😳 Running silky smooth too 😁

Couldn't get it to run before, all I've done is install/update chipset drivers (Intel 440BX) from the default Windows 98 ones. 😁