VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Hudson187

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Any suggestions on getting this to work?

I've tried setting my res to 640x480, 256 color, no SLI, the "bat" file trick (to make the game thing its running a V1) along with Voodoo 1 drivers in the Mechwarrior 2 folder. Each time the game engine initializes, all I get is colored artifacts that result in a system lock.

My current retro system (will be making a Intel box shortly) is a Athlon XP 1500+, 512MB, GF4MX, 2 V2 STB Black SLI, Live! SC running Win98SE.

Thanks!

Reply 1 of 22, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You may need some special drivers to avoid issues with the Athlon XP. There is a post somewhere around here with them.

Reply 2 of 22, by Hudson187

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have the Fastvoodo2 4.6 drivers from falconfly.de installed. Are there different kinds? A few other games run on the cards just fine.. however I'm not sure if they are "Glide" games.

http://www.hudson187.com

Reply 3 of 22, by batracio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It doesn't matter at all what Voodoo2 drivers you are using, if you install Voodoo1 drivers in game folder. Please don't do that, it just won't work. The BAT file trick (SSTV2_SLIDETECT=0, SSTV2_TMU_MEMSIZE=2, and so on) should be enough. By the way, FastVoodoo2 4.6 driver already has the Athlon-compatibility fixes applied.

Reply 4 of 22, by Hudson187

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

OK -- I thought I read somewhere that you also had to have the V1 drivers in the game folder. I will remove those and try again. Thanks!

Reply 5 of 22, by RogueTrip2012

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Did you copy both files?

Mechwarrior2 3dfx edition
"In addition to the bat file, you need to copy the Glide divers from the Voodoo1 (Glide.dll and Sst1init.dll) to the Mech2 dir. Everything should work fine."

source: http://www.3dgw.com/faq/moodys_voodoo2_faq.htm

> W98SE . P3 1.4S . 512MB . Q.FX3K . SB Live! . 64GB SSD
>WXP/W8.1 . AMD 960T . 8GB . GTX285 . SB X-Fi . 128GB SSD
> Win XI . i7 12700k . 32GB . GTX1070TI . 512GB NVME

Reply 6 of 22, by batracio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Oh, so you didn't mean to install the Voodoo1 driver in the game folder, but the Glide 1.x library and the Voodoo1 initialization library. Sorry, I completely forgot about Glide 1.x and the games that use it. My bad 😊

Well, if it does not work that way, I would try dgVoodoo Glide wrapper instead. It comes with a glide.dll that redirects Glide 1.x API calls to Glide 2.x, and it may work with your native Voodoo2 Glide2x.dll (never tried it though).

Reply 7 of 22, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Mechwarriors 2: 31st Century Combat 3dfx edition - is the glide 2.1.1 game. So, you need glide 2.1.1 installed (glidex.dll and sst1init.dll). Or you can use glidex.dll from the dgVoodoo - this is glide 2.1.1 -> glide 2.x wrapper.

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 8 of 22, by btw3d

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
batracio wrote:

It comes with a glide.dll that redirects Glide 1.x API calls to Glide 2.x

Gamecollector wrote:

Or you can use glidex.dll from the dgVoodoo - this is glide 2.1.1 -> glide 2.x wrapper.

This is not true. Dege's glide.dll has no connection with glide2x.dll. Like nGlide's glide.dll, it's a standalone 2.11 wrapper to directx, not a redirector to later glide.

Reply 10 of 22, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
batracio wrote:
btw3d wrote:

This is not true.

I made it up. It's different from lying.

Not really. You're still trying to convince someone to believe something that isn't true, therefore you are lying.

lie
noun
1. a false statement made with deliberate intent to deceive; an intentional untruth; a falsehood.
2. something intended or serving to convey a false impression; imposture
3. an inaccurate or false statement.
4. the charge or accusation of lying

verb (used without object)
5. to speak falsely or utter untruth knowingly, as with intent to deceive.
6. to express what is false; convey a false impression.

verb (used with object)
7. to bring about or affect by lying (often used reflexively)

Reply 15 of 22, by batracio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, the truth is that I tried to recall how dgVoodoo's glide.dll worked, but could not remember and made it up. Last weekend I checked the DLL import table, and oddly enough, I didn't find any entry for either glide2x.dll or ddraw.dll (actually there were no entries at all, even for kernel, user or gdi). Anyway, whether it wraps glide 2.x or Direct3D, there are chances of getting MWII working with dgVoodoo, so let the OP give it a try.

Reply 16 of 22, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you want to use wrapper - try nGlide 0.98. It now has the support of glide 2.1.1, it is newer and it is active.

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 17 of 22, by batracio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Gamecollector wrote:

If you want to use wrapper - try nGlide 0.98. It now has the support of glide 2.1.1, it is newer and it is active.

Indeed, but nGlide requires a DirectX 9.0 compatible graphics card, and Hudson187 built his current retro rig with a GF4MX and 2x V2 SLI. I think dgVoodoo is better suited for pre-DX9 graphics hardware.

Reply 18 of 22, by Hudson187

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm actually going to build a whole new unit -- P3 1ghz with 256mb ram, Win98SE, GF3, SLI V2 and two sound cards (ISA for DOS and PCI for Win9x). I'll let you all know how I fare...

Reply 19 of 22, by biessea

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi there!

I revive this post cause I really want to understand If someone with a SLI of Voodoo2 made this game work!

I have a Windows 98SE system, with a P3 Tualatin-S a Matrox G400 and a SLI of Voodoo2 cards.

How can I reach to play at this game accelerated? I have the 3DFX version, I tried the .bat file to run it, I tried moving two glide files from the Voodoo1 drivers, but nothing works. When I begin a game, the game freeze with strange colours artifacts like described in the first post or black screen at all.

No one have the solution?

Computer lover since 1992.
Love retro-computing, retro-gaming, high-end systems and all about computer-tech.
Love beer, too.