VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Nowhere Girl

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a question that might be very silly, nevertheless I can't figure out how to solve this little problem. How to make screenshots in Windows-based games? In "standard" D-Fend profiles the program informs me I have to press Ctrl-F5, for the few games that only work in ScummVM it's Alt-S. However, no info whatsoever is provided for Windows games screenshots. Ctrl-F5 didn't work, PrtScr neither.
The game I mean is one of Dizzy fan games made with the Dizzy AGE engine - it's completely Windows-compatible (unlike original Dizzy games - while for example "Magicland Dizzy" still worked under Windows for a long time, "Fantasy World Dizzy" didn't work already around 1994, probably yet with a newer version of DOS/Norton Commander. At that time I didn't even know emulators exist, not to mention I wouldn't have understood the word and wouldn't have been able to get one because I didn't have Web access until 1997 😉), opens in its own window (not full screen). Dizzy AGE games have simple screenshot settings - pressing PrtScr creates a screenshot folder within the game's folder, however I don't know how to "connect" it to D-Fend.
And, anyway, I'd love to avoid using PrtScr because my laptop has a terrible feature: Print Screen is the key's secondary function, available when pressing "Fn" (btw, my old laptop didn't have the Fn key at all), Fn and PrtScr are almost exactly in the opposite corners of the keyboard... And the key's primary function is Insert, be it cursed forever... I have NEVER used Insert purposefully, but innumerable times I pressed it accidentally and around 2001 I didn't yet know it is that key which erases text while typing.

Reply 1 of 3, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The silly thing is, why are you posting this in "DOSBox General" if it's about Windows games?

In Windows programs, pressing PrintScreen puts a screenshot on the clipboard. You can then open MS Paint, press Ctrl-V, and save the file to get a screenshot. Pressing Alt+Printscreen does the same thing, but only with the current window.

Reply 2 of 3, by Nowhere Girl

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I actually didn't know where the topic would land... It's OK if an admin moves it.
I know how to make screenshots, sure, but how to put them in D-Fend Reloaded? You know, in the gallery under the profile list. For "pure" D-Fend Reloaded it's Ctrl-F5, for ScummVM Alt-S, but what about Windows games?
But thanks anyway - I've never heard of the Alt-PrtScr "trick" before. If only I could switch Print Screen and Insert - I can't imagine actually needing Insert (I don't know what it does besides replacing text, and this can be done without pressing Insert and messing everything up), and Print Screen is a very useful key.