VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Anamon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I know there are a lot of topics already on getting USB game controllers to work on Windows 98 in general, and under VMware in particular. However, it seems that everyone was finally able to get their controllers to work using one trick or driver or other, and so far I feel like I have tried them all, still with no payoff. So here goes, maybe someone can help and tell me what else to try...

The configuration in particular:

• VMware Workstation 9.0.2
    Host: Windows 7 Professional x64
    Guest: Windows 98SE (German)
    Gamepad: Logitech Rumblepad 2 USB

As far as I can remember, these are the things I tried:

• Just connecting the gamepad to the VM
    The gamepad shows up as a generic "USB HID (Human Interface Device)" and is not working. Driver incomplete or device could not be started, error Code 10.
  • Switching the VM from USB 2.0 to USB 1.1
    No difference.
  • Keeping the VM on USB 2.0 and installing the generic drivers from Technical-Assistance, Version 3.3 for German versions of Win98
    The gamepad is now detected by name as "Logitech RumblePad 2 USB", but that's the only difference. It remains in the generic "HID (Human Interface Device" category in the device manager, and isn't working – driver incomplete or device could not be started, error Code 10.
  • Installing Logitech WingMan Profiler 4.60 (along with required DirectX 8.0a)
    With the new drivers, the "Logitech RumblePad 2 USB" device now moves from the HID category to the "Audio, video and game controllers" one in the device manager, referencing Logitechs LJOY2.INF. However, it remains unusable—driver incomplete or device could not be started, error Code 10. The Logitech software does not detect any controllers, and neither does it show up in the game controller control panel.
  • Forcing to use the generic USB HID driver which some sites claim will always work if the device isn't broken.
    The game controller moves back to the generic HID category under its generic HID name, and now actually doesn't show any error anymore, reporting that it is working correctly. However, it still doesn't show up in the game controller control panel, and hence remains unusable.
  • Manually installing a generic USB HID game controller through the game controller control panel
    After selecting the driver, I get sent back to the manual game controller installation dialogue as if nothing had happened. The game controller I force-install this way appears in the device manager under the "Audio, video and game controllers" category, reports that it is working, but still doesn't show up in the game controller control panel where I installed it from.

I'm spent, I really don't know what else to try. The Logitech support site is no help at all. The WingMan Profiler 4.60 software comes with a readme file that states explicitly that it supports my exact gamepad under my exact version of Windows 98. It just doesn't. Has anyone got any more tricks up their sleeve?

Edit: I just made a clone of my VM to upgrade to Windows Me. The problems are exactly the same. I can get the gamepad to show up in the device manager under its correct name, but with a Code 10 error, and the Logitech software doesn't detect it. At the same time, I imported the VMware VM into VirtualBox, and there, it works! So the issue must be somewhere at the USB level.

Reply 1 of 11, by akula65

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You might try using an older version of the Logitech WingMan Gaming Software. I have a Logicool GPX-500FF which is a Japanese version of the Logitech Rumblepad 2. This device shipped with LGS 4.40 which, according to the documentation, was the first to support Rumblepad 2 and Cordless Rumblepad 2. I have installed the included software and used the device without any difficulties in US English Win98 SE (no virtualization).

I have a copy of lgs440enu.exe that I downloaded from the Logitech FTP site in 2004, but I can't post it here due to size constraints (it's 8.3 MB). If you can't find a copy elsewhere on the web, PM me, and I will be glad to send you a copy.

Reply 2 of 11, by Anamon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the reply! I found and installed a copy of LGS 4.40, but unfortunately the same thing happens, it doesn't detect the device as a Logitech controller.

I strongly suspect now that the problem is with the USB controller driver, not the actual gamepad driver, especially since it works both for your physical Win98SE and my VirtualBox one (which unfortunately has other problems, otherwise I could just use that).

Reply 3 of 11, by akula65

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The only other thing I can think of is to make sure that you are connecting the device to a USB port on the computer itself or a powered USB hub. Rumblepads need a fully-powered port to function properly, and an under-powered USB port (even a supposedly powered one) can cause all kinds of weird things to happen. Switch USB ports or try a well-powered hub if you haven't already.

Good luck in finding a solution!

Reply 4 of 11, by Anamon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I don't think that's the problem, the gamepad works perfectly fine on both my Windows 7 host system and any virtual machine I set up in VirtualBox.

Since you have a similar or even identical gamepad, do you know by any chance if it works over USB 1.x? I have read that many problems with connecting USB 2.0 devices to Win98/Me systems is due to lacking driver support for these, and that using USB 1.x fixes them. I tried that by changing the USB host to USB 1.x in VMware settings, but it didn't work, so I thought maybe the gamepad requires USB 2?

Reply 6 of 11, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

virtuabox has support for usb devices does vmware ?
"VirtualBox can allow virtual machines to access the USB devices on your host directly. To achieve this, VirtualBox presents the guest operating system with a virtual USB controller. As soon as the guest system starts using a USB device, it will appear as unavailable on the host."

Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness

Reply 7 of 11, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You dismissed the question about how the joystick is physically connected, but some people have reportedly had trouble when not connected directly to the host machine.

Reply 8 of 11, by Anamon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes to both accounts. VMware provides a virtual USB controller to which you can connect any USB device connected to the host, and my gamepad is directly on the host's USB controller, everything is as plain vanilla as can be.

Reply 10 of 11, by Anamon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Google says yes, by disabling Enhanced Host Controller Interface in the device manager. The USB controller should then fall back to USB 1.1 and re-detect all connected devices. That's a good idea to try, I'll report what happens.

Reply 11 of 11, by FIVE-one

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have the same issue with another USB controller : it is detected, recognized and correctly named but unusable under vmware.
Under the same conditions, it works on VirtualBox, but this one doesn't handle the game I'd like to play...

Hail to the Emperor !