VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have this old shareware game I'm trying to run, Star Havoc by SquireSoft; it's fullscreen only, and uses 16-bit color at 640x480/800x600. Win7-64 just throws up at the sight of it. It sort of runs in XP, except that the sound is messed up and 800x600 doesn't work.

Here are the requirements, straight from the readme:

-200 mHz Pentium -Windows 95 or 98 -SVGA graphics with 16 bit or higher color depth at 640 by 480 resolution -32 megabytes RAM […]
Show full quote

-200 mHz Pentium
-Windows 95 or 98
-SVGA graphics with 16 bit or higher color depth at 640 by 480 resolution
-32 megabytes RAM

What should I be going for - VirtualBox? MS Virtual PC? DOSBox? There's no HW acceleration required or anything, but graphics support could be problematic. I've never messed with virtualization before, so any tips are welcome.

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 2 of 12, by Sol_HSA

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Rather interesting, I can't seem to find download of this anywhere. The company has also disappeared, and the author of the game doesn't have any info on his new site either.

http://iki.fi/sol - my schtuphh

Reply 3 of 12, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I was almost going to recommend Virtualbox, but then I remembered that getting it to run 98SE smoothly was a pain in the ass, and even then it only runs smoothly in 32-bit color modes for some reason. I've also messed around with Virtual PC 2007, and though it does technically have better support for 98SE out of the box, I found it to be dog slow on the one system I tested it on. YMMV however, because lots of other people have reported success in using it to run 98SE.

Last edited by mr_bigmouth_502 on 2013-05-23, 09:20. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 5 of 12, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My copy isn't the best one to share, since I customized it heavily back in the day (it's supposed to be moddable). I emailed the author to see if he still has an original version somewhere... if that doesn't help I'll try to clean up my copy manually and post it.

For now, just wondering what is the 'best' solution for a game with these requirements. I see quite a few recommendations for VMWare - any second opinions?

Reply 7 of 12, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Do you have other games that run correctly at 800x600? Does XP itself run correctly at 800x600?

Sound problems can sometimes be resolved by lowering hardware acceleration.

Reply 8 of 12, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Now this is interesting. Forget what I wrote earlier... it's pretty obvious why the game won't work on XP and above - I guess this should be moved to the DOSBox forums (moderators?)

I took a closer look, and despite what the system requirements say, the executable isn't really a Windows one; it just relies on win9x for DPMI and for long filenames. I created a bootable hd image with MS-DOS 7.10 and LFN support, added CWSDPMI and a mouse driver, and voila, the game runs in DOSBox (SVN).
Still, results aren't perfect:

- with machine=vesa_nolfb - tends to crash; won't go 800x600 (falls back to 640x480).
- with machine=svga_s3 - runnable, but tends to crash sooner or later (more often at 800x600, slightly less at 640x480).
- any other svga machine type - no go, crashes on start.

Other than that, I'm using core=auto, cputype=auto, cycles=max, memsize=48. I tried a lot of variations on these, but none gave me better results (most were worse).

Didn't hear back from the author yet, but here's my copy of the game: http://speedy.sh/GY9YH/StarHavoc-1.1.zip
I cleaned it up as well as I could, but still not sure if it's identical to the original (the game itself says it's v1.1, readme is from v1.2, so go figure). Feel free to try it out... especially if you like Star Control-style space combat, tracker music, and/or particle effects.

Any help with the crashes would be nice, though I guess it's playable enough at 640x480 for now.

Attachments

• svga_s3 800x600 crash.png
    Filename
    svga_s3 800x600 crash.png
    File size
    5.54 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • boot_009.png
    Filename
    boot_009.png
    File size
    74.41 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
Last edited by VileR on 2013-05-23, 03:40. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 9 of 12, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

When you get page faults with DPMI clients that you suspect were designed to run under Win9x, the problem is often fixed by disabling the DPMI 1.0 extensions because Win9x didn't have them. Run CWSDPMI.EXE (r5 or later) with a -x parameter to make it resident with the extensions disabled.

Reply 11 of 12, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks - tried that but it's still giving me crashes here and there (at the same EIP as before, so I suspect the same cause).
[edit: that was for ripsaw - will give HX a go.]
[edit 2: same goes for HX, unfortunately.]

Oh, and apparently vesa_nolfb isn't any better than svga_s3 after all.