VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Zygi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi!
Does anyone know how to run Space Hulk 2 in Win Xp? When I try to run it, an error massage window pop-up - something abut missing dll or something... Any idea?

Reply 2 of 25, by Freddo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Make a shortcut to CD:\HULKDATA\HULKW95.EXE and let it start in CD:\
Turn OFF DirectDraw Hardware Acceleration to make it work.

That's what I had to do to make it work in Windows 2000 pro anyway 😜

Reply 3 of 25, by Momoka

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, Freddo.
I have the very same problem with this game, it always use to dont find some entry point in my Kernel32dll.
Could u please specify the way u got the game to work on ur windows2000? Since both windows r very similiar, there is a hight chance that this will work for XP as well, but i dont know very well enought how to do what u wrote.
~Momoka~

Reply 5 of 25, by Momoka

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi eL_PuSHeR.
To precise my problem more i'll explain to u my problem.
1st, i only know the game Space Hulk, Venegance of the Blood Angels only from the old console called "3DO", so i not know the PC version.
As i got a PC, i was searching for the game, and finding it at least.
To me it seems like the PC version of the game is not installed at all. It looks like the game needs to be run from the CDrom completely, since it has an auto start that leads u to an start window with the options "Play" "Configure" "Install Direct X" and "Exit".
It dont matter if i copy the whole CD to my Harddrive or if i let it run from my CDrom.
It gives me always the message "The procedure entry point SUnMapLS_IP_EBP_12 could not be located in the dynamic link library KERNEL32.dll".
I have tryed to use the Compatibility mode, and have set all options on on(Run the programm in Windows95 mode, In 256 colors, in 640x480 screen resolution, and disable visual themes and lastly turn of advanced text services), with no success.
I've tryed to do what Freddo suggested, but i dont know how to do that correctly.
Could someone help me with this? I really want to play that game 😢
~Momoka~

Reply 6 of 25, by cef6

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

IMPORANT NOTE: Do not leave your system in the state described here for anything other than playing "Space Hulk: Vengeance of the Blook Angels". When finished playing, make sure to re-enable DirectDraw acceleration by clicking the 'Enable' button on the 'Display' tab of the DirectX Diagnostic Tool. (See below.)

Being a big 40k fan, I was excited to read Freddo's story of success in getting this to run in Windows 2000.

Still, I think it's safe to say most people don't know how to disable DirectDraw acceleration, and some people don't know how to create a shortcut with an alternate 'start-in' directory.

So, here's how to do both those things, and, by the way, these steps seem to succeed in getting the game running under XP.

Note: YMMV.

Create the shortcut...

1. With the game CD in a drive, or an image of it mounted with DAEMON Tools(appropriate for a 40k game), explore to X:\HULKDATA\BIN, where X is the drive letter of the CD or the mounted image.

2. Right click on HULK95W.EXE. Click on 'Create Shortcut'. A dialog box appears, asking to place the shortcut on your desktop. Click 'Yes'.

3. Note the genestealer graphic for the new shortcut. Right click on the shortcut and click 'Properties'. In the 'Start in:' text area, type in 'X:\'. Click 'OK'.

Now disable DirectDraw acceleration...

1. From the taskbar 'Start' menu, click 'Run...' Type 'dxdiag'. Click 'OK'. (You may get a message about downloading something from Microsoft, especially if you've never run the DirectX Diagnostic. It doesn't matter what you choose for our purposes.)

2. Click on the 'Display' tab. In the 'DirectX Features' section, click on the 'Disable' button next to the "DirectDraw Acceleration: Enabled" wording. A dialog appears asking you to confirm. Click 'OK'.

3. Leave the DirectX Diagnostic Tool running, by way of reminding you to re-enable DirectDraw acceleration when finished playing.

To play, double click the shortcut.

IMPORANT NOTE: Do not leave your system in this state for anything other than playing "Space Hulk: Vengeance of the Blook Angels". When finished playing, make sure to re-enable DirectDraw acceleration by clicking the 'Enable' button on the 'Display' tab of the DirectX Diagnostic Tool.

Reply 7 of 25, by mozz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i have this message when i try to launch it

hulk.th.jpg

its not a Dos version cause it dont start too with dos box

i ve tried to launch it on 256 colors mode, win2K mode, to copy .dll on windows folder and nothing works...
any idea? thks

Reply 8 of 25, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

it's a windows game problem

*Moving to windows.*

Did you try compatibility modus ?

Not sure if adds more function the kernel.dll though.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 12 of 25, by spoing

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, complete newb to this here...

I am trying to get the aformentioned game to work, I have the game in WinRAR archive format.

running Windows XP, Athlon 64, around a gig of ram , Geforce 4 graphics card.

I have also got virtual Daemon manager c3.47, which I hope was the mentioned program.

I have tried to follow the instructions listed, but can't even get past stage one, i.e. mounting the image on Daemon from my winRar archive.

If I have omitted any required info, please tell me, Help would be much appreciated, I also have Final Liberation and Space Hulk in winRar format.

As you may note, I have little clue what I'm doing here, I just want to play the damn games again!.

Reply 13 of 25, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This is a little off-topic, but here it goes anyway...

You must unpack data first (WinRAR or UnRAR). Then you will probably get some CD image file(s) inside. Mount them using your virtual drive.

Reply 14 of 25, by Kolya

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I hate to resurrect an old thread but I've got the same problem that's been described here. I followed the instructions but the new shortcut only makes my screen flash yellow and then gets back to desktop.
Starting the HULK.EXE in the root dir of the cd and then clicking 'play' in the splash screen still gives me the same old missing entrypoint message.

Just for your information: I found out that the game works fine on win95 and win98 with directX up to version directx 8.0a (which was the last version of directx to support win95). Any higher directX kills the game in my experience.

Since the instructions provided here seem to only work on win2000, is there someone who actually got SHVOTBA working on winXP?

Kolya

Reply 15 of 25, by Kolya

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Motherboard ID: Grantsdale-6A79DM4IC-00
Processor: Pentium4 3200 MHz
RAM: 1024 (type unknown)
Graphic card: MEDION RADEON X740XL Secondary (128 MB)
Sound card: onboard C Media AZA AC 97 Soundchip
Game name and version: SHVOTBA (HULKW95.EXE: 1.0.0.1)

Thanks for your help.
Kolya

Reply 16 of 25, by Kolya

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Nothing really new, just things I felt like mentioning:
I tried Freddo's instructions in win98, just for the sake of trying it. But no luck.
And I tried compatibility modes.
Also I should say that I'm one of the few lucky ones to own a original copy of SHVOTBA, complete with 2nd Multiplayer-CD. (Swapped with a friend for copy of System Shock 2.) That doesn't really help me now, just so you know I don't have a screwed download.

Kolya

Reply 17 of 25, by Kolya

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Oooookaaaay, without wanting to offend anyone but this forum is as dead as a dead forum, isn't it?
I mean, I followed the guidelines, I tried fixing the game myself and described what I had tried, I updated the 'places to start' to give back a little for any help I might receive and I'm certainly not a OMGTHISGAMESUCJSLOLZ11111 type.
But either noone who even knows the game has visited here in the last 11 days or I'm getting completely ignored.
Jeeez, I'd be grateful for someone saying: "Yeah, same problem here." but nothing, nothing, nothing. 😒

Kolya

Reply 18 of 25, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Hi Kolya - if I had the game I would certainly have tried to help you. 1 question: You said you tried to start HULK.EXE? The others mentions starting HULKW95.EXE. Typo?

Tried to download the full Application Compatibility Kit software from Microsoft? Maybe it will give you more compatibility options?

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 19 of 25, by Kolya

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi there MiniMax!
Yeah, I tried HULKW95.EXE first (via shortcut starting in C:\) as described in the instructions.
HULK.EXE is just another thing I tried since this is the usual splash screen starter.
I'll have to see about that compatibility kit. I had guessed it would be the same as the compatibility tab you can access in winXP.
Thanks for the tip, I'll post the outcome. And thanks for reading my rant...😅

Kolya