VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by CrisGer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There are problems running some classic games in Windows 8, can anyone help with these:

-Journey to the Center of the Earth - Won't install
-Return to Mysterious Island - I can install it, but get an "incompatible with Win8" message shortly thereafter and I'm booted back to desktop.
-Syberia - Installs, but crashes to desktop during gameplay. No error message.
-The Longest Journey (DVD version) - Installs, throws a runtime error during gameplay and closes.

Admin
3D Worlds and Game Developers Group Linkedin
http://3dworldandgamedevelopers.blogspot.com/

Reply 2 of 11, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Are your video card drivers up to date? What sort of video card do you have, anyway?

I know there's a patch for Syberia that you can probably get from http://www.patches-scrolls.de/ , and the same probably goes for The Longest Journey. Not sure about the others.

You should probably check the GOG forums to see if there is any useful advice there. (You probably won't have to re-buy the games.)

Reply 3 of 11, by CrisGer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

thanks for the move was not sure about where to put this.

Yes drivers etc will be up to date, i am asking for a buddy of mine who had to install Windows 8 and is having a challenge getting classic games to play. They are very experienced so their system will be up to date. GOG does have these games many of them but we are hoping to not to have to repurchase if not ncecessary. I was hoping for any insights anyone may have who had to deal with this with any of these games already. Windows 8 was a huge step backwards from all l hear and is a sad challenge for those of us trying to keep the game literature playable. Thanks again for the posts.

Admin

Reply 4 of 11, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Many of the loudest complaints about Windows 8 are concerned with the interface. Internally, I understand it is not particularly different from Windows 7.

CrisGer wrote:

Yes drivers etc will be up to date

You are talking about multiple different games which might very well have multiple different problems. You may be more likely to get "insights" if your answers are a little more precise.

Reply 5 of 11, by CrisGer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Journey to the Center of the Earth - Won't install
-Return to Mysterious Island - I can install it, but get an "incompatible with Win8" message shortly thereafter and I'm booted back to desktop.
-Syberia - Installs, but crashes to desktop during gameplay. No error message.
-The Longest Journey (DVD version) - Installs, throws a runtime error during gameplay and closes.

Admin

Reply 6 of 11, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That is exactly what you wrote in your first post! Why don't you provide MORE information, like what sort of video card you have and what version of the drivers you are running!?

Did you find the patch for Syberia? Did installing it make any difference?

Reply 7 of 11, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

More detail on error messages would help, too. "Journey to the Center of the Earth - Won't install" does not tell us much. What happens? Any error messages? Does the installer fail to initialize or does it crash? Do you have UAC enabled? What have you tried? The more information that you supply, the more likely someone can help.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 8 of 11, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This is why most who game don't even try to bother with win8, almost all the high rigs today are running win7 and for older titles that fail to work correctly on a 64bit os have a dedicated machine.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 9 of 11, by CrisGer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

As i am posting and seeking help for a friend and we are both very busy with work i will try to get more detailed info soon and appreciate the wilingness to respond. I am in colorado and they are in Florida....so i dont have access to anything but remote data.

Yes, i use dedicated machines myself and my friend may indeed re install XP as they are finding Windows 8 to be a terrible system with one of the worst interfaces ever dreamed up. It was it seems designed for integration with tablets and other junk which I will never ever use. So thanks for the replies and I will get more details when i can. I reposted the original list as that was all the valid info i had at this time and i thought maybe others had tried to run the same games and had found some answers. Thanks again.

Admin

Reply 10 of 11, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
CrisGer wrote:

As i am posting and seeking help for a friend and we are both very busy with work i will try to get more detailed info soon and appreciate the wilingness to respond. I am in colorado and they are in Florida....so i dont have access to anything but remote data.

This is an exceptionally terrible way to obtain any kind of technical support.

Reply 11 of 11, by CrisGer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Not if we both are very busy and doing what we can to help advance the sharing of knowledge about how to get games to work on older computers. There is no hurry and i am always grateful for the help that comes, already one game has been solved and I will post the info here when i can, sorry if you dont feel my efforts are worthy but i do. And appreciate others who understand.

here is how a peer of mine managed to get Culpa Innata running on Windows 8:

get Culpa Innata running with Win8.

Have autorun disabled Insert disc and open DVD drive directory Change setup compatibility to Vista - run as admin Run setup to t […]
Show full quote

Have autorun disabled
Insert disc and open DVD drive directory
Change setup compatibility to Vista - run as admin
Run setup to the default directory
DL the Vista patch V 1.03 which you can find HERE
Extract the patch to the Strategy First - Culpa Innata main directory
In the Culpa Innata main directory run the patch application. It's called: CulpaInnata_Upd_EN_100-103
Go to Start menu and run the game. First time you'll need to enter the Serial No.

Admin