VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by ElectricMonk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've tried this with virtualbox, but audio refuses to work with any of the quest OSs I've already tried. Couldn't even get MSDOS6.22 or Win98SE to allow the audio to work. Id there a work around, or should I ditch VBox for VMware or something? I only have a few Win98SE games that I really want to play, that *don't* have a modern OS installer program avaiable online.

Reply 1 of 16, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I never had a problem getting the crap SB16 audio working in VBox but only for very few games, and some have skipping issues.

But audio under windows guests in VBox is absolutely terrible, even having a windows 7 guest I have problems with...

I'd try VMWare, I hear alot of good things about that but I only have experience with VBox.

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 2 of 16, by ElectricMonk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DracoNihil wrote:

I never had a problem getting the crap SB16 audio working in VBox but only for very few games, and some have skipping issues.

But audio under windows guests in VBox is absolutely terrible, even having a windows 7 guest I have problems with...

I'd try VMWare, I hear alot of good things about that but I only have experience with VBox.

Yeah, I've had audio issues in VBox with NT4, Netware 5, Windows 2008R2, and Win98se. Maybe it's because of my realtek onboard audio, or it's a bug in VBox. I mainly used VBox, becuase I've been trying to integrate various Guest OS hosts in a GNS3 topology (2008R2 running PRTG for syslog, snmp, and netflow stats/graphing), but networking thru the vboxwrapper is a nightmare. None of the host-only, bridged, or internal network modes work. UDP Tunneling does work, but only between two hosts "crossed over". For example, 127.0.0.1 src 20905 dst 20906, and 127.0.0.1 src 20906 dst 20905 on both ends are the only way to get the two nodes to talk. Forget about getting them to talk to multiple routers and "swouters" in the topology. I've begged for help at gns3 forums, Tech Report, and the IT goons at something awful. Nada.

I'm trying to get VMWare workstation installed right now, but I keep getting a "MSI - failed c:\user\[NAME]\AppData\local\vmware workstation 10_x64.msi" error, and I'm banging my head against a wall to get that resolved. I've tried some of the tips listed on the VMWare forums, but no joy so far. All I want to do with this, is play some Win98SE games that I can't get working in DOSBox or ScummVM.

Reply 5 of 16, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you're going to try VMware, VMware Player is the way to go, not VMware Workstation.

I'm not sure what happens if you try to install VMware Tools under Win9x these days. You might need to download them separately from elsewhere.

Reply 6 of 16, by ElectricMonk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
leileilol wrote:

VirtualPC 2007?

For me, VirtualBox wouldn't even be a thought for any Win9X OS.

Also what games would these be?

Just off the top of my head: Blade Runner, Longest Journey, Toonstruck, Grim Fandango, Beavis and Butthead Virtual Stupidity, Curse and Escape of Monkey Island ( I own EVERY MI game made, and I love the Telltale series), The Space Bar, and the Last Express.

I'm sure there's others, like action or RPG games I'm blanking on right now.

Reply 7 of 16, by ElectricMonk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jorpho wrote:

If you're going to try VMware, VMware Player is the way to go, not VMware Workstation.

I'm not sure what happens if you try to install VMware Tools under Win9x these days. You might need to download them separately from elsewhere.

JayCeeBee64 wrote:

I actually have Win98SE up and running on VMWare Player, but haven't tried any games; I do have an old pinball compilation CD laying around, maybe I'll install it and see if it works.

There's also an old VOGONS thread here: Windows 98 vmware . Give it a read and see if it helps.

I hadn't thought of that! I'll give that a shot, since I keep getting that damned "MSI fail" error with VMware Workstation 10. I can probably take the VMware tools, add them to an ISO, and then mount it in one of my virtual drives, so VMWare Player can see it (works in VBox).

Thanks for the heads up, folks! 😁

Reply 8 of 16, by ElectricMonk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jorpho wrote:

Do you have a link to VMWare Tools? The official site keeps trying to send me to workstation 10.0.0 tools... 😒

Reply 10 of 16, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ElectricMonk wrote:
leileilol wrote:

VirtualPC 2007?

Just off the top of my head: Blade Runner, Longest Journey, Toonstruck, Grim Fandango, Beavis and Butthead Virtual Stupidity, Curse and Escape of Monkey Island ( I own EVERY MI game made, and I love the Telltale series), The Space Bar, and the Last Express.

Good topic, but most of the ones you listed can be made to run natively on Win7 without the pain of a VM with old Windows.

• For Blade Runner, use my installer.
  • The Longest Journey 4 CD version just needs the DLLs from the demo, which you can find in the same thread. I believe there is a patch for the 2 CD version, but I never explored that version since I do not own it.
  • Toonstruck is supported by ScummVM.
  • Use ResidualVM for Grim Fandango or the Grim Launcher.
  • Again, ScummVM for Curse of Monkey Island, of course.
  • Unfortunately, ResidualVM does not yet fully support Escape of Monkey Island, so use the Quick And Easy installer.
  • While ScummVM support for The Last Express is a wip, the DOS version runs fine in DOSBox.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 11 of 16, by ElectricMonk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
collector wrote:
Good topic, but most of the ones you listed can be made to run natively on Win7 without the pain of a VM with old Windows. […]
Show full quote
ElectricMonk wrote:
leileilol wrote:

VirtualPC 2007?

Good topic, but most of the ones you listed can be made to run natively on Win7 without the pain of a VM with old Windows.

• For Blade Runner, use my installer.
  • The Longest Journey 4 CD version just needs the DLLs from the demo, which you can find in the same thread. I believe there is a patch for the 2 CD version, but I never explored that version since I do not own it.
  • Toonstruck is supported by ScummVM.
  • Use ResidualVM for Grim Fandango or the Grim Launcher.
  • Again, ScummVM for Curse of Monkey Island, of course.
  • Unfortunately, ResidualVM does not yet fully support Escape of Monkey Island, so use the Quick And Easy installer.
  • While ScummVM support for The Last Express is a wip, the DOS version runs fine in DOSBox.

COOL! THANKS! That'll make this a damn site easier! 😀

Reply 12 of 16, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Regarding The Last Express, Steam is currently offering a "Gold edition" that may yet be superior.

ElectricMonk wrote:

Do you have a link to VMWare Tools? The official site keeps trying to send me to workstation 10.0.0 tools... 😒

I wouldn't know offhand. Any such link would be from an unofficial source, of course.

And regarding the MSI error, have you seen http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/s … externalId=1308 and http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/s … ernalId=1031302 ? http://www.sysprobs.com/fixed-the-msi-failed- … te-in-windows-7 also suggests cleaning out your temp directory.

Reply 13 of 16, by ElectricMonk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jorpho wrote:

Regarding The Last Express, Steam is currently offering a "Gold edition" that may yet be superior.

Yeah, but I own the original disks. I was hoping to not have to repurchase it.

I tried wiping out the Temp folder of everything VMware related, but it didn't solve the issue. Wiping out the entire TEMP folder nuked my paid/licensed copy of ProfSIMs 6, so I had to beg their support to re-license it ($78 for a year subscription). Kinda annoying. Maybe I need to go registry diving, too?

Reply 14 of 16, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ElectricMonk wrote:

Wiping out the entire TEMP folder nuked my paid/licensed copy of ProfSIMs 6, so I had to beg their support to re-license it ($78 for a year subscription). Kinda annoying.

I hope when you begged them that you told them what happened. No program should store important data in the TEMP folder.

Maybe I need to go registry diving, too?

"Going registry diving" is pointless (and dangerous) if you don't know exactly what you're looking for. Did none of the instructions in those other two links help?

Reply 15 of 16, by ElectricMonk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jorpho wrote:
I hope when you begged them that you told them what happened. No program should store important data in the TEMP folder. […]
Show full quote
ElectricMonk wrote:

Wiping out the entire TEMP folder nuked my paid/licensed copy of ProfSIMs 6, so I had to beg their support to re-license it ($78 for a year subscription). Kinda annoying.

I hope when you begged them that you told them what happened. No program should store important data in the TEMP folder.

Maybe I need to go registry diving, too?

"Going registry diving" is pointless (and dangerous) if you don't know exactly what you're looking for. Did none of the instructions in those other two links help?

Yes, they were very understanding. It's odd they store the license file there.

Nope, none of the instructions helped. Without listing all my credentials, I know to be cautious messing around in the registry. 😀

If I can ever get this fixed, I'll post what I had to do.