VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Can't get anywhere with SSC by Activision; when I try installing it on my 4TB D: drive the installer says it doesn't have enough space.

On my SSD C: drive it installs, when running the game it loads the videos, then crashes out when loading the main menu/music, with the Event Viewer pointing to various things each crash, including C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll, or C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\DINPUT.dll or C:\Windows\AppPatch\AcGenral.DLL or C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\combase.dll

Anyone got any ideas, or a copy of the game to try out?

Last edited by VirtuaIceMan on 2015-04-13, 23:51. Edited 2 times in total.

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor

Reply 1 of 20, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Oh and if anyone's wondering, I tried applying Win98 compatibility to every .exe file on the CD-ROM, it still moans about too much diskspace on D:, when the Win98 mode applies the EmulateGetDiskFreeSpace option

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor

Reply 3 of 20, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Will try on Win7 64bit in future (at work!), Run as Admin does nothing as I am admin anyway. Using GTX 980 so could be graphics driver error. Not tried Wined3d.

Reply 5 of 20, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah work PC has Win7 64bit + ATI. I've got Win8.1 64bit + Nvidia.

Reply 7 of 20, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm not that familiar with Wine, can it be set up in Windows or is it a Linux thing?

Reply 8 of 20, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Generally speaking, it's a Linux thing, and I don't think it's too useful for Bladeforce to mention unless he thinks it's a compatibility point meant to inspire testing using WineD3D, which we can kinda/sorta call the "Windows port of Wine"?

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 9 of 20, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just tried it on work PC, 64bit Win7 with ATI Radeon HD 4600 graphics, and it loads and plays fine.

Nvidia are a bit crap with backwards compatibility, aren't they?! I think I'll need to roll up a VMware Player running XP with Direct3D support soon...

Reply 10 of 20, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Could just as easily be a Windows 8 compatibility issue.

Why so eager to blame Nvidia for everything? You sound as if you have an agenda.

Jumping to conclusions also usually won't help you find answers.

Reply 12 of 20, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I do have an Nvidia agenda from days gone by, see https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/5431 … -earlier-games/

Heh... but I love Nvidia for GSYNC and performance, so it's more a love-hate thing.

Can you let me know what your PC spec is? Is it similar to mine? See my signature. I'm just keen to get everything working, that's all 😀

Oh and are you running an original copy of the game or a rip? I tried an updated noCD dll file but that didn't help.

Last edited by VirtuaIceMan on 2015-01-06, 01:42. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 13 of 20, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just ran it up again, I see the opening videos, then the splash loading screen with the silver Saleen S7, the loading bar fills up, then it crashes back to desktop, saying launchSSC.exe has crashed.

The Event Viewer showed this, this time:

Faulting application name: launchSSC.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x3bd40afc
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 6.3.9600.17476, time stamp: 0x54516af9
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00041db6
Faulting process ID: 0x136c
Faulting application start time: 0x01d0294dcc76b5dc
Faulting application path: D:\Games\ssc\launchSSC.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
Report ID: 149dbc00-9541-11e4-82ca-7824af8a9e0a
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Hmm, just ran about 20 more times and twice it got to the main menu successfully. Then crashes whilst I was setting up the game, at a random point. Hate these sort of memory related issues...

Reply 14 of 20, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
VirtuaIceMan wrote:
I do have an Nvidia agenda from days gone by, see https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/5431 … -earlier-games/ […]
Show full quote

I do have an Nvidia agenda from days gone by, see https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/5431 … -earlier-games/

Heh... but I love Nvidia for GSYNC and performance, so it's more a love-hate thing.

Can you let me know what your PC spec is? Is it similar to mine? See my signature. I'm just keen to get everything working, that's all 😀

Oh and are you running an original copy of the game or a rip? I tried an updated noCD dll file but that didn't help.

I'm running a cracked version (but if your version failed due to copy protection, it probably wouldn't launch at all).

I'm running a GTX 670, which I think should be fairly similar to compatibility to a 980. There's no really major things that differ (maybe video codecs?). Latest Nvidia driver version, latest Win8.1 updates.

Edit: oh and video memory. DXwnd includes a function to report video memory to be less than 2 GB to applications.

Reply 15 of 20, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm starting to wonder if I should disable my 980 and enable the on-board motherboard Intel graphics, to see if it definitely is graphics card related or not. Not sure how easy that is to do in practice though...

Reply 16 of 20, by teleguy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
VirtuaIceMan wrote:

Can't get anywhere with SSC by Activision; when I try installing it on my 4TB D: drive the installer says it doesn't have enough space.

VirtuaIceMan wrote:

Oh and if anyone's wondering, I tried applying Win98 compatibility to every .exe file on the CD-ROM, it still moans about too much diskspace on D:, when the Win98 mode applies the EmulateGetDiskFreeSpace option

Windows 7 and 8 can create and mount virtual harddrives with fixed size.

Reply 17 of 20, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My Research :
Installed the game on a winxp laptop 1.6 centrino radeon x300 (only pc I have with a dvdrom drive)
ran the game and got this :
LZHzdSq.jpg
Pressing the ok button and the game ran fine

tried again with no cd in the drive to check for copy protection/cd check
got this :
np7pbOZ.jpg
Clicked allow, the game played the intro videos then brought up cant find cd message.

Tried a nocd, the game played the intro videos then Ctd'd (could this be your problem)
Tried a german (my copy is english) crack to remove the cd check. Game ran fine

Copied the game folder to a win7 x64 pc (q6600, Amd 6950) game ran fine (no fddshow message)

Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness

Reply 18 of 20, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
VirtuaIceMan wrote:

I'm not that familiar with Wine, can it be set up in Windows or is it a Linux thing?

easiest way to try win is use a kanotix livedvd
it will not alter your windows setup in any way
Kanotix comes with amd and nvidia drivers and wine and steam
you need one of the following
Kanotix Dragonfire LinuxTag 2013 KDE Special 32 bit – ISO (1.2 GB)
Kanotix Dragonfire LinuxTag 2013 KDE Special 64 bit – ISO (1.3 GB)

http://kanotix.com/index.php?newlang=eng

Download the iso burn it to dvd then boot with it and double click on the game exe

Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness

Reply 19 of 20, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm running the original game, the videos play fine, it just crashes loading the menu, or on 2occasions, made it into the nmenu but crashed randomly shortly after