VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by u1comp1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

System Windows 7 x64 SP1. I downloaded and installed the NVidia demo "Dawn" (Geforce FX Series) international.download.nvidia.com/downl ... s/Dawn.ехе
When I run the demo (Dawn Ultra shortcut) on Geforce GTX 670, driver version 337.88 there are no errors in the textures. Newer versions of the driver up to version 345.20, observed errors in image textures on the body (body is divided into two parts, one body part is darker than the other). Also, it is observed on Geforce GTX 980. How to fix this error in the driver?
Screenshots of the error in the textures:

Attachments

• Fairy07.jpg
    Filename
    Fairy07.jpg
    File size
    207.87 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Fairy06.jpg
    Filename
    Fairy06.jpg
    File size
    202.15 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • Fairy05.jpg
    Filename
    Fairy05.jpg
    File size
    196.34 KiB
    Views
    File license
Last edited by u1comp1 on 2015-03-15, 10:35. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 2 of 10, by u1comp1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Davros wrote:

other than messing with the settings in the nv control panel there's nothing you can do

Installation of different settings in the NVidia control panel did not help. The problem is in the driver NVidia. On the driver version 337.88 of this error is not. How to report a technical support NVidia, to correct errors in the driver?
Another screenshots of the error in the textures:

Attachments

• Fairy04.jpg
    Filename
    Fairy04.jpg
    File size
    193.85 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • Fairy03.jpg
    Filename
    Fairy03.jpg
    File size
    185.88 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • Fairy02.jpg
    Filename
    Fairy02.jpg
    File size
    178.58 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • Fairy01.jpg
    Filename
    Fairy01.jpg
    File size
    181.81 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • Fairy00.jpg
    Filename
    Fairy00.jpg
    File size
    173.39 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 3 of 10, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

nVidia has a bug submission page through their Support pages - it requires a log-in so it cannot be linked directly. You can get to it from this page:
http://nvidia-submit.custhelp.com/app/answers/list

Select "Submit Bug" and follow the directions. That said, I doubt they will rank this a very high priority since this is a tech demo designed for a specific piece of hardware that's over ten years old. Of course if this bug also exists in commercial software that uses similar/equivalent functions that's another story, and if you can recreate this in a specific game or application beyond the Dawn tech demo, I'd probably lean more on that.

Also, if I remember right, the Dawn Ultra demo itself isn't designed to be run on anything but GeForce FX 5800 series. That doesn't mean it *can't* be run on anything but FX 5800, but it's primarily designed for that card. So they may completely ignore your request because GTX 670 is not the target device. Does the "normal" Dawn demo run correctly on GTX 670? (I've honestly never had a mind to try ancient tech demos on modern hardware, so I've got no idea; I know this demo works properly on FX 5800 with relatively modern (by GeForce FX standards) drivers). It also appears they've taken the Dawn Ultra demo off of their website - they still provide Dawn, and Dusk Ultra, but no links to Dawn Ultra. 😊

Reply 4 of 10, by Sune Salminen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I don't see the "body divided in two parts" thing here. 64-bit Windows 7, 344.75 driver, GTX 660.

Ultra model, shaders and config files are part of the Dawn demo that I downloaded. I don't know how to invoke it though, there is only one executable. Maybe it depends on video card Device ID. There's probably a command line switch to force it into Ultra mode? -Ultra or /Ultra doesn't do anything.

EDIT

oh duh..never mind, I wasn't paying attention. I don't have start menu entries with the Ultra shortcut because I reinstalled Windows. Dawn is installed on my storage drive.

EDIT #2 grabbed the 347.52 driver and reinstalled Dawn. Fairy has "body divided in two parts" in Ultra mode. I don't think it's a texture bug, the texture is fine. It's probably one of the Ultra specific shaders.

Last edited by Sune Salminen on 2015-03-17, 04:44. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 5 of 10, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The command to run the ultra demo is "fairy.exe args_ultra.txt".
Too bad this demo uses many proprietary GL extensions (NV_...) and can't start on an ATi hardware.

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 6 of 10, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

For the curious, this is what it looks like on FX 5800 Ultra (and yes it runs perfectly fluidly):
dawn-ultra_zpsee536708.png

You can see on the 5800 Ultra's output there's a "seam" for a shadow, which appears to be roughly where the problems are occurring for the GTX 600 cards.

I also tried it on Quadro FX 1700, and it will animate the Ultra mode mostly correctly - there are some lighting issues, and the camera controls don't respond as they should, but no "body in half" problems. I also could not get it to properly screen-grab. I'm not sure if that's Windows 7 causing trouble, or another issue with the demo being run on non-FX hardware.

Reply 7 of 10, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Gamecollector wrote:

Too bad this demo uses many proprietary GL extensions (NV_...) and can't start on an ATi hardware.

Well, there's this.
http://www.rage3d.com/articles/atidawning/

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 8 of 10, by u1comp1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I also found that this error in the textures present in the NVidia Demo Dusk Ultra. GeForce GTX 980. Driver version 347.88
Screenshots of the error in the textures:

Attachments

• Dusk05.jpg
    Filename
    Dusk05.jpg
    File size
    68.67 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • Dusk04.jpg
    Filename
    Dusk04.jpg
    File size
    95.2 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • Dusk03.jpg
    Filename
    Dusk03.jpg
    File size
    89.95 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • Dusk02.jpg
    Filename
    Dusk02.jpg
    File size
    82.4 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • Dusk01.jpg
    Filename
    Dusk01.jpg
    File size
    98.72 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 9 of 10, by Silanda

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This is obviously a driver bug, probably with regards to something the lighting or skin shader's doing, as it used to work fine. Report it to Nvidia, they fixed a bug that occurred in the New Dawn demo that I reported on the 780 Ti when it was first released.

Reply 10 of 10, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Stiletto wrote:
Gamecollector wrote:

Well, there's this.
http://www.rage3d.com/articles/atidawning/

Doesn't seem to work on current radeons, the wrapper misses out on the occlusion query extension

apsosig.png
long live PCem