Common searches

First post, by swede1872

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Latest Version:

Re: swede1872's Unofficial Outlaws Installer

swede1872 wrote:
New updated version. Old one was was switched with an early version. The right one was deleted so i had to make a new one. […]
Show full quote

New updated version. Old one was was switched with an early version. The right one was deleted so i had to make a new one.

Contains only official updates and extra missions made from scratch. Check local temp if someone wants to check out the files.

If anyone finds some other issue with it, give me a hint and i will put up an updated version.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/smjtix941s0md9m/Out … ssions.zip?dl=0

Swede

---

Original post:

Outlaws with in-game music nocd and no map switching patch. All music can be replaced to the kind you like. The music references to the game levels are adjustable. Combined olgeo.lab from both CD's etc etc

Copy to game folder. Overwrite files if asked for.

A bit large file but all the music is included.

Enjoy! 😀

Reply 4 of 36, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Tried this, a bit unsuccessfully as music stopped playing permanently whenever you accessed the menu (want to save? no more music), but it was useful in figuring out what to do to use _inmm.dll (as opposed to the included ogg-winmm) which does work perfectly.

Full game wasn't included in the download btw.

Reply 7 of 36, by swede1872

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Never mind!

It was a pain in the butt getting _inmm to work. It did not like me referencing to track 1 in hideout.msc. I have not checked in the other .msc files. However, a reference change has to be done in affected .msc files.
Otherwise _inmm halts. And Winamp is probably required to. There is a solution.
Ivan

Reply 8 of 36, by swede1872

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

After some tests.
1: Winamp is required if you want to be able to adjust the music volume within the game. That is required by me at least.
2: Winamp is fiddling with the volume so winamp.ini must contain a volume reference set to 255. It should also be write protected since Winamp keeps altering it.
3: Sometimes the tracks plays for a very short time. 20s or so. Playlist may solve this. I think it is Winamp that fiddles with the .ini file. So a fresh .ini file with write protection probably solves this. It works after that at least.

Anyone else tried _inmm-dll ?

Reply 9 of 36, by marzsyndrome

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've been using _inmm for some time, typically better performance/behaviour with most games than ogg-winmm.

However, I just tend to stick with DirectShow itself for playing the music files and have felt no need to use an external player like Winamp. Did you try DirectSound? If you're still using the OGG files then you would need to install an Ogg Vorbis DirectShow filter first. I tend to just use the MP3 format since DS support is built in and it saves on the hassle of having to install anything else. But it's all down to you.

Reply 10 of 36, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I used _inmm, as marzsyndrome, I use it with DirectShow filters (lav filters usually, but I installed a ogg filter since swede1872 distributed so nicely packaged files for that).

I found that I had to increment all msc track positions by 1 for proper music playback. No clue why ogg-winmm and _inmm differs here, though.

The FAQ says

The game, or does not contain music from the first track? In _inmm.ini of standard format, we are supposed to go write from the […]
Show full quote

The game, or does not contain music from the first track? In _inmm.ini of standard format, we are supposed to go write from the second track. When would write with the intention of starting from the first track, it will play shifted by song order is one.

If you want to specify from the first track, and the _inmm.ini in extended format. at the beginning of the _inmm.ini

[Tracks]

It is OK just write with.

I haven't tried this

0 problems with music stopping playing or volume being messed up with _inmm.dll (adjusting CDDA volume doesn't work, but I really don't care).

Reply 11 of 36, by swede1872

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the answers!

I like a low volume on the in-game music. It is not adjustable with DirectShow. It was not adjustable using the CD's either.
DierctShow seems easy and quite stable . But the Jedi Knight guy says it is less stable than external players like Winamp. At least when using playlist reference.

When I was fiddling with different resolutions and Glide. The game crashed a few times. After that the volume went down and the songs played for a really short time. Track 1 lasted 20s then the next track started. Restart did not help. So something was hard-coded.
Somehow Winamp messed up the winamp.ini when the game crashed. It was gone when i threw the winamp.ini away and let Winamp create a fresh one.
A write protect should work here. It has to withstand some fiddling without getting messed up.

Anyway _inmm works far more better than ogg-winmm. So I am satisfied now.

Reply 12 of 36, by swede1872

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Here is a rev on my earlier release.

I use _inmm instead of ogg-winmm. It is more stable and works as it is supposed to. It is self registering so just unpack and overwrite to the game folder.

This is only a patch! Not the full game.

Ivan

Reply 13 of 36, by swede1872

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I found a stupid bug.

If you run on a computer without a CD it wont work. Just download a virtual CD driver. Then it works. It is the CD check in lecmusic.dll again. I think there will be a rev3 with the hacked dll instead.

Ivan

Reply 14 of 36, by swede1872

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Minor bugfixes!

No music if no CD-drive available. New hacked lecmusic.dll

Stupid nag screen when starting olwin.exe. New redone olwin.exe

Just add & replace.

By the way, nGlide works very nice. Tried 1920 x 1080 via nGlide's configurator. Works very well. A good option when Direct3D doesn't work.

Enjoy

Ivan

Reply 15 of 36, by swede1872

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi!

50 extra single player missions for Outlaws.
A new custom menu for Outlaws.
Auto creation of shortcut, placed on the desktop after first run.
Scanned PDF manual and strategy guide. Linked from menu to included PDF viewer.
My earlier patch for in-game music is slipstreamed into this patch.
Extra games adjusted to historical missions only.
Fixed annoying bug when config is set to Aureal or Glide.
Etc etc

Ivan

Reply 17 of 36, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Probably not much need to patch OUTLAWS.EXE as it is little more than a launcher.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 18 of 36, by swede1872

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It is a patch for updating with 50 new missions, a new menu, music without CD and no switching.

There are several things done to make this work.

I hacked olwin.exe for the CD-check and some minor adjustments. It is repacked so it autoregs _inmm.dll.
I removed the complete CD check routine in lecmsic.dll
I adjusted the drivers files so Aureal and Glide drivers comes last in the config list. Now the configurator won't nag about missing hardware on first start.
Fiddled with winamp.ini to make it work as it is suppose to.
Adjusted all missions files regarding type and names.
Repacked the lab files so I could adjust which missions I want to show on start
Unpacked all .msc files so one can fiddle with the music any way one chooses.

Etc etc...

Feel free to ask.

This is not the full game!!!!! Only a patch

Reply 19 of 36, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That is still an awful lot of game data to be distributing. I would suggest that you either leave that LAB and MSC files alone or devise some script to do it with the end user's own files rather than distributing game data.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers