Windows 98 DirectX Framerate Limiter

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 29, by slartibardfast0

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
joeguy3121 wrote on 2022-06-19, 16:26:
slartibardfast0 wrote on 2022-06-19, 13:04:
interesting, if you copied all files from dxfpscap_20200915.zip to the sdata folder, try deleting "ddraw.dll" from it. I guess w […]
Show full quote

interesting, if you copied all files from dxfpscap_20200915.zip to the sdata folder, try deleting "ddraw.dll" from it. I guess win9x is trying to load wrapper twice.

if this doesn't work, look for fpscap_0.log in sdata or the parent folder, and upload here I can investigate more!

thanks
-dc

Both folders have the fpscap_0.log. I opened both logs and saw differences in them and decided to upload both of the logs in case if both of the logs are operating the game.

that's a pretty catastrophic log alright.
what is the graphics card & installed version of directx on this system?

I've tested a fair bit with NVidia Geforce FX 5800 45.xx series and always with directx 9.0c December 2006.
But, I've a range of hardware here so might try to replicate

thanks
-dc

Reply 21 of 29, by joeguy3121

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
slartibardfast0 wrote on 2022-06-19, 17:57:
that's a pretty catastrophic log alright. what is the graphics card & installed version of directx on this system? […]
Show full quote
slartibardfast0 wrote on 2022-06-19, 13:04:
interesting, if you copied all files from dxfpscap_20200915.zip to the sdata folder, try deleting "ddraw.dll" from it. I guess w […]
Show full quote

interesting, if you copied all files from dxfpscap_20200915.zip to the sdata folder, try deleting "ddraw.dll" from it. I guess win9x is trying to load wrapper twice.

if this doesn't work, look for fpscap_0.log in sdata or the parent folder, and upload here I can investigate more!

thanks
-dc

Both folders have the fpscap_0.log. I opened both logs and saw differences in them and decided to upload both of the logs in case if both of the logs are operating the game.

I've tested a fair bit with NVidia Geforce FX 5800 45.xx series and always with directx 9.0c December 2006.

thanks
-dc

Directx 9.0c and Geforce2 MX 400. Although the funny thing is that today I upgraded the gpu to Geforce3 Ti 500.

The problem still occurs with the new gpu btw. 😔

If you happen to have a GF3 Ti 500 too, then do please test SOTE with that card.

Last edited by joeguy3121 on 2022-06-20, 22:06. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 22 of 29, by slartibardfast0

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
joeguy3121 wrote on 2022-06-19, 23:38:
Directx 9.0c and Geforce2 MX 400. Although the funny thing is that today I upgraded the gputo Geforce3 Ti 500. […]
Show full quote
that's a pretty catastrophic log alright. what is the graphics card & installed version of directx on this system? […]
Show full quote

thanks
-dc

Directx 9.0c and Geforce2 MX 400. Although the funny thing is that today I upgraded the gputo Geforce3 Ti 500.

If you happen to have a GF3 Ti 500 too, then do please test SOTE with that card.

from comparing the logs, it looks like your version of shadows is trying to load directx 3d version 1, then enumerating and interface that I'm not wrapping (yet!)

while on my systems (voodoo5 / fx 5800 is all i have on hand) it's loading directx 3d version 2.

perhaps the reason for this difference is i'd applied the version 1.1 patch from (to the sdata folder) before the hex edit
https://www.patches-scrolls.de/patch/3664/7/49996/download
if you've not done so already, worth a shot i guess!

in the medium term i'll wrap this missing interface, it could take a few weeks to free up enough time for it.

thanks again for info,
-dc

Reply 23 of 29, by joeguy3121

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
slartibardfast0 wrote on 2022-06-20, 21:29:
from comparing the logs, it looks like your version of shadows is trying to load directx 3d version 1, then enumerating and inte […]
Show full quote
Directx 9.0c and Geforce2 MX 400. Although the funny thing is that today I upgraded the gputo Geforce3 Ti 500. […]
Show full quote
Show full quote

thanks
-dc

Directx 9.0c and Geforce2 MX 400. Although the funny thing is that today I upgraded the gputo Geforce3 Ti 500.

from comparing the logs, it looks like your version of shadows is trying to load directx 3d version 1, then enumerating and interface that I'm not wrapping (yet!)

while on my systems (voodoo5 / fx 5800 is all i have on hand) it's loading directx 3d version 2.

perhaps the reason for this difference is i'd applied the version 1.1 patch from (to the sdata folder) before the hex edit

in the medium term i'll wrap this missing interface, it could take a few weeks to free up enough time for it.

thanks again for info,
-dc

Didn't work!!!! 😭

What's odd is that the game starts up without the exe being modified or the patch but then no 30 fps.

I don't get it. 😟

Reply 24 of 29, by slartibardfast0

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
joeguy3121 wrote on 2022-06-21, 09:31:
Didn't work!!!! 😭 […]
Show full quote
slartibardfast0 wrote on 2022-06-20, 21:29:
from comparing the logs, it looks like your version of shadows is trying to load directx 3d version 1, then enumerating and inte […]
Show full quote

thanks again for info,
-dc

Didn't work!!!! 😭

What's odd is that the game starts up without the exe being modified or the patch but then no 30 fps.

I don't get it. 😟

Unfortunately it could be anything, if you like you can email me with more details of your setup.
sending on dxdiag.exe screenshots (especially display tabs), specific forceware version and game options used (sote.exe), and even the full shadows.exe you modified might reveal something.

I've tested a maratox mystiq (potato!) & voodoo 1 today with 30cap, so I'm pretty sure something strange is going on

Reply 25 of 29, by auron

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

dxfpscap does not work with prince of persia 3d, unfortunately. tested on a voodoo3 under 98se. i have checked the .exe in hxd and there is no ddraw.dll reference to be seen, so i assume the .exe is packed. the game could really use the 30 FPS cap as it speeds up a lot whenever 60 FPS is hit.

has there been any progress in sidestepping the ddraw.dll issue? maybe there is some registry key or some system file that can be hexedited to prevent it from going to the system directory? also, probably a dumb question, but why is the file in the current version named dxdraw.dll instead? this isn't a typo, right? dxfpscap.exe also appears to do nothing for me, it just sticks at 30 regardless of what is set there.

Reply 26 of 29, by eddman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
auron wrote on 2023-08-17, 21:30:

i have checked the .exe in hxd and there is no ddraw.dll reference to be seen, so i assume the .exe is packed.

That's because of the Safedisc copy protection. You can use a tool to generate an unprotected exe; ddraw would then show up in hxd.

It should be legal to modify the files you own (well, it doesn't even modify but generates another one), but since I'm not sure of the stance of the forum on the subject, I didn't name the tool.

EDIT:

I see the tool has been mentioned before and even by an admin, so I suppose it's alright. It's UnSafedisc 1.5.5.

Reply 27 of 29, by Spark

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I tried dxfpscap with Shadows of the Empire and it works, also tried it with the D3D version of Sega Rally Championship and it works there as well. I had less success however with a couple of newer games, for example Wipeout 2097, the game just errors and says it cant find ddraw.

Reply 28 of 29, by Janeer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Your experience with trying out dxfpscap on different games and observing its varying levels of success is very interesting. It highlights the fact that not all games will respond the same way to the framerate limiter, likely due to factors like the game's engine, version, and compatibility with DirectX modifications.
work info