VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by corpsicle

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

F1rst post for me on Vogons so i hope im in the right section and so on.

I recently got a Pentium 60 (with FDIV bug yay!) and its working great.
I installed Win95 OSR2.5 and its also working great.

Then i tried to install SubCulture from my original CD. It failed miserably.
I get the files listed but when doubleclicking on one it tells me it cant find it, or some file it depends on (its different depending on which file i click).
I can read the readme file on the CD.

So i put in my Win95 CD again and doubleclicked the installer, works fine.
I found a SubCulture iso somewhere, burned that to a CDR (file contents look identical to my original CD) and i get the exact same issues.
Could it be a Win95 driver issue or something?
I do get a yellow triangle on the harddrive controller in device manager. However the harddrive works just fine (as does the CDROM with any other CD).

Ive tried to copy the files from the SubCulture CD to harddrive, in windows and in dos, but it fails either on the first file or after copying two files.

Reply 1 of 11, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well, technically the "Windows" and "DOS" subforums are for discussing getting old games working on NEW systems...

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 2 of 11, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
corpsicle wrote:

Ive tried to copy the files from the SubCulture CD to harddrive, in windows and in dos, but it fails either on the first file or after copying two files.

What message do you get when the copy fails?

And to be clear, the same thing does not happen with other CDs?

Reply 3 of 11, by corpsicle

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It tells me it cant find the files that im copying (using xcopy).
Or if i doubleclick for example sc3dfx.exe it tells me it cant find sc3dfx.exe.
The files i can open are the readme and the autorun files, but with autorun it tells me that it cant find a .dll that i can see right beside it in the explorer window.

And yes, other cds work, ive been copying a lot of files and installed window 95.
To doublecheck i inserted the win95 cd and doubleclicked setup and the windows installation starts.

Reply 4 of 11, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's possible your CD-ROM drive is physically defective. I've had drives that could only read some discs and not others before they started to fail completely.

You can try looking for a really old version of IsoBuster that can run under Windows 95; that might be able to copy the files even if Windows or DOS can't normally get at them. Or if you have enough hard drive space, try a disk image utility like Daemon Tools or imgburn. (There's definitely an old version of Daemon Tools that works under Windows 95.)

Reply 5 of 11, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

40-pin IDE cable with an uncompatible drive? As the example - my Optiarc AD 7200A can't work with ATA-33 at all.

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 6 of 11, by skitters

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

How old is the CD drive?
I have old 8X CD drives that can't read CDR's.
(that's 8X CD read speed, not DVD read speed)
Also, since your CD drive can read other CD's, maybe the Sub Culture CD is slightly harder to read -- too hard for an old drive but not a problem for a modern drive.

Of course if you put a modern drive in the old computer, the above wouldn't be the problem.

Reply 9 of 11, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Have you installed anything that might affect the CD drive? Some old CD burning software came with "packet writing" software for use with CD-Rs; certain old media player software was also problematic.

In XP there are registry keys referred to as UpperFilters and LowerFilters; I can't remember if those are in Windows 95 as well.

Reply 10 of 11, by skitters

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
corpsicle wrote:

Works great with daemon tools.
I guess my DVDrom might be slightly incompatible with some cd's then? or something like that.

It might depend on the age of the DVD drive.
I had an old Creative 5X DVD drive (bought around 1999) and it definitely had problems reading some CD's, though it didn't seem to have problems reading DVD's.
Eventually I got fed up with it and bought another drive.

Reply 11 of 11, by Blurredman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes it's quite possible the CD Drive is defective, or the CD. But IDE CD drives are very popular still.

If you had the PC on a home network and shared a partition, you could read the CD on your main PC, and see if you could copy the contents that way. The real issue would be whether the CD drive on the Windows 95 PC could run the game, as the CD is required for play. 😊 I know this because the game is EPIC! 🤣

http://blurredmanswebsite.ddns.net/ 😊