VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by tgomola

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a problem with DirectX 8 games on my laptop (NFS Hot Pursuit 2 and World Racing 2). It seems that Nvidia Optimus is not working correctly with them - the games run in a window (that appears on a black background) and they don't use my GeForce 755M GPU. I've found a temporary solution by installing latest Wine libraries in NFS HP2 directory and by using a DirectX 8 to 9 wrapper on World Racing 2, but Wine slows the game down noticeably and the 8 to 9 wrapper makes WR2's HUD stretch outside of the screen. Both games are set in Nvidia Control Panel to use GeForce, but they completely ignore that setting and still run on Intel.

Does anyone know how to fix that issue?

The problem has appeared after I upgraded my system to Windows 10. The games worked fine on Windows 8.1.

Reply 2 of 32, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Try using both Win10 and Win8 drivers as they're respectively WDDM 2.0 and 1.3. Maybe there's an incompatibility related to this.

Reply 3 of 32, by tgomola

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
MrEWhite wrote:

Have you tried updating your Nvidia drivers AND Intel Integrated drivers?

Yes, I've updated both drivers to the latest version.

filipetolhuizen wrote:

Try using both Win10 and Win8 drivers as they're respectively WDDM 2.0 and 1.3. Maybe there's an incompatibility related to this.

Unfortunately, I can't check this. I uninstalled the drivers with Guru3D tool and installed version 352.86 for 8.1/7/Vista. The installation went fine, but I couldn't access the nVidia Control Panel then.

I've also noticed that the problem exists on older versions of DirectX (Colin McRae Rally 2 behaves the same way as DX8 games).

Reply 4 of 32, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
tgomola wrote:
Yes, I've updated both drivers to the latest version. […]
Show full quote
MrEWhite wrote:

Have you tried updating your Nvidia drivers AND Intel Integrated drivers?

Yes, I've updated both drivers to the latest version.

filipetolhuizen wrote:

Unfortunately, I can't check this. I uninstalled the drivers with Guru3D tool and installed version 352.86 for 8.1/7/Vista. The installation went fine, but I couldn't access the nVidia Control Panel then.

I've also noticed that the problem exists on older versions of DirectX (Colin McRae Rally 2 behaves the same way as DX8 games).

You may try the different drivers from here: http://www.nvidia.co.uk/Download/Find.aspx?lang=en-uk
If you're using a Win8/7 driver try using a Win10 driver.

Reply 10 of 32, by tgomola

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah, I have, and it kinda solves the problem - but it's not 100% compatible with all games (e.g. World Racing 2 crashes after a few seconds of playing). It also causes noticeable slowdowns (Test Drive Overdrive runs at 30-45 fps). So I was wondering if there's perhaps another solution to the problem.

Reply 11 of 32, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
tgomola wrote:

Yeah, I have, and it kinda solves the problem - but it's not 100% compatible with all games (e.g. World Racing 2 crashes after a few seconds of playing). It also causes noticeable slowdowns (Test Drive Overdrive runs at 30-45 fps). So I was wondering if there's perhaps another solution to the problem.

Again, try a Win10 native driver from the nvidia website.

Reply 13 of 32, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
tgomola wrote:

Nvidia threaded optimization on or off (try both) might make a difference with WineD3D performance.

Disabling or enabling GLSL might also make a performance difference with Nvidia. There's a cpl for easily configuring it here:

download/file.php?id=18801

(not saying WineD3D is the best solution for your problem, just giving advice if that's what you're going for).

Reply 14 of 32, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
tgomola wrote:

I am using the Win10 driver right now and the problem still persists. I temporarily changed it to Win8 version following your advice.

Sorry I missed that. I think you'll have to try disabling the Intel GPU in the device manager.

Reply 15 of 32, by tgomola

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Disabling GLSL helped with performance issues with Wine 😀 Thanks for the advice.

filipetolhuizen wrote:

Sorry I missed that. I think you'll have to try disabling the Intel GPU in the device manager.

Unfortunately, this can't be done on laptops with Optimus 🙁 Intel is required to display image properly.

I've googled this thread: https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=258859.0 and I'm not the only one with the problem. It seems that either Nvidia or Intel screwed something up with their drivers... So I guess the only way to fix it is to wait for a newer version of the drivers.

Reply 17 of 32, by tgomola

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

No, I can't. There is no such option in BIOS. BTW, look at this: https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=2588 … 3196#msg1483196

Unfortunately it is impossible to disable the intel HD graphics or optimus.

As I understand it, the Intel HD graphics are connected directly to the monitor. The Nvidia GPU, when active, writes to the Intel HD's frame buffer. So no Intel HD, no video on the LCD.

That is also why your games seems to work on external displays as it does not have to go trough the Intel GPU.

So it seems that Intel GPU cannot be disabled no matter what 🙁

Reply 18 of 32, by tgomola

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
filipetolhuizen wrote:

I somehow managed to install driver version 350.12 for Windows 8.1, this time Nvidia Control Panel installed correctly. It didn't make any difference, DX1-8 games still won't use GeForce card. So it's not the WDDM thing...

Reply 19 of 32, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

"You have DX12, why do you need DX9 and DX8 compatibility?" ©hardware vendors

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).