VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by vogamer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, I"m interested in which moderately popular games are/were for 16-bit Windows only and never had original DOS or Windows 32-bit ports? I don't care about 16-bit installers because the game executable is what matters (most).

I'll start:
SimTower (Windows 16-bit only)

Reply 2 of 8, by vogamer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thx! This is been something I've been really interested in.

Edit: Quickly read both threads, it's interesting only 1 person called out SimTower and many mentioned both SC and SC2K, which we all know are 32-bit. Ha!

I really would like a good list of games that fit into this category as both of those threads are not very good lists.

Other notable titles in those threads are: (Don't know if they are actually exclusive to 16-bit Windows though)
Indiana Jones Desktop Adventures
M$ Games Packs
M$ Fury3

Reply 4 of 8, by Tertz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

2 problems:
1) there is a common OS classification of games, but as DOS, Win3x had 32 bit games too (win32s),
2) "exclusive" is when absents and can't work on other platforms natively, while 16 bit apps were officialy supported in later Windows and many games worked fine. What you are looking for is not very exclusive.

I doubt someone did the list you want and it's hard to understand the use of such list. Among shareware there may be not less titles as to port crap was not popular.

DOSBox CPU Benchmark
Yamaha YMF7x4 Guide

Reply 5 of 8, by vogamer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Tertz wrote:
2 problems: 1) there is a common OS classification of games, but as DOS, Win3x had 32 bit games too (win32s), 2) "exclusive" is […]
Show full quote

2 problems:
1) there is a common OS classification of games, but as DOS, Win3x had 32 bit games too (win32s),
2) "exclusive" is when absents and can't work on other platforms natively, while 16 bit apps were officialy supported in later Windows and many games worked fine. What you are looking for is not very exclusive.

I doubt someone did the list you want and it's hard to understand the use of such list. Among shareware there may be not less titles as to port crap was not popular.

I chose the subject topic title carefully and there is no ambiguity when saying "16-bit Windows games". You're adding unneeded complexity with Win32s and the fact that 16-bit Windows games are compatible with 32-bit Windows. Next time, please read more carefully and respond more intelligently.

Reply 6 of 8, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Tertz wrote:

I doubt someone did the list you want and it's hard to understand the use of such list.

It makes sense to me: they're games that can't be played natively on 64-bit systems due to the lack of support for 16-bit software (and because no one otherwise ported them). There just aren't a lot of noteworthy games that meet that requirement.

There is indeed tons of shareware crap written in Visual Basic 3 or earlier that no one bothered porting, but they would solely be of historical interest at best, with the possible exception of Epic's Dare to Dream. And there are probably some weird multimedia titles, but those started coming out at roughly the same time as Windows 95. As I mentioned in that other thread, exofreeze has been trying to run a lot of them. I suppose The Dark Eye is noteworthy.

The Bizarre Adventures of Woodruff and the Schnibble would qualify, except that's supported in ScummVM now and people can run it wherever they want.

And there's Zombie Wars, which is pretty neat.

Reply 7 of 8, by Tertz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
vogamer wrote:

Next time, please read more carefully

The current title has ambiguity and inaccuracy, wich I've pointed you after reading more carefully. Better one would be "Games wich had only 16-bit Windows releases"

DOSBox CPU Benchmark
Yamaha YMF7x4 Guide

Reply 8 of 8, by vogamer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jorpho wrote:
It makes sense to me: they're games that can't be played natively on 64-bit systems due to the lack of support for 16-bit softwa […]
Show full quote
Tertz wrote:

I doubt someone did the list you want and it's hard to understand the use of such list.

It makes sense to me: they're games that can't be played natively on 64-bit systems due to the lack of support for 16-bit software (and because no one otherwise ported them). There just aren't a lot of noteworthy games that meet that requirement.

There is indeed tons of shareware crap written in Visual Basic 3 or earlier that no one bothered porting, but they would solely be of historical interest at best, with the possible exception of Epic's Dare to Dream. And there are probably some weird multimedia titles, but those started coming out at roughly the same time as Windows 95. As I mentioned in that other thread, exofreeze has been trying to run a lot of them. I suppose The Dark Eye is noteworthy.

The Bizarre Adventures of Woodruff and the Schnibble would qualify, except that's supported in ScummVM now and people can run it wherever they want.

And there's Zombie Wars, which is pretty neat.

Thx for the titles, and yes, ScummVM games would apply and as you noted, thankfully we do have ScummVM.

Tertz wrote:
vogamer wrote:

Next time, please read more carefully

The current title has ambiguity and inaccuracy, wich I've pointed you after reading more carefully. Better one would be "Games wich had only 16-bit Windows releases"

Tertz and all, if you don't understand, sorry, if you do understand, sorry again, there's not much I can do. This list is important, to me at least, because the games on the list we can't play w/o virtualization or DOSBox.