VOGONS

Common searches

Is 2GB enough for games up to 2007?

Topic actions

First post, by jolurove

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello, I'm new here and I would like to know your opinion on the question on the title.
I'm building an XP gaming PC for games from around 2000 - 2007. So far I got:

- Asrock G41M-GS motherboard.
- Intel E8400 Core 2 Duo CPU
- Radeon HD 4850 GPU
- Seagate 200GB IDE HDD
- LG DVD IDE drive
- 500 Watts XFX PSU
- Generic ATX case.

I got all of it for around 100 Euros.

The motherboard supports DDR2 RAM up to 800 I think, and the prices of this memory modules are off the charts! They cost more than any of the other components. So I was wondering if 2GB would be enough or I'd fall short with it. I had a similar system circa 2008 with 4GB and it was a beast, and I had Windows Vista on it which is much more demanding.

What do you think?

Reply 4 of 21, by jolurove

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
philscomputerlab wrote:

DDR2? Should be cheap as chips. I'd go for 4 GB 😀

That's what I thought.. but the prices I found online are ridiculous (at least for me) or maybe I'm just cheap 😒 for 2x2GB DDR2 800 the prices go between 50 - 70 euros. The most expensive component in this build so far, which is the GPU, only costs 30 euros shipped!

Reply 5 of 21, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That's steep, wow. Yea don't spend that much. You should get it close to nothing. If you were close by, I could give you some for free 😀

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 7 of 21, by Darkman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

2GB is fine, I run my WinXP era games on an HP Core2Duo workstation , which has 2GB of DDR2 , and all the games work just fine.

remember people were complaining that even some later games like Skyrim were unable to address more than 2GB.

Reply 8 of 21, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
philscomputerlab wrote:

You should get it close to nothing. If you were close by, I could give you some for free 😀

I'd like to visit this old-memory-is-lower-priced-than-new universe someday.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 9 of 21, by jolurove

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
leileilol wrote:
philscomputerlab wrote:

You should get it close to nothing. If you were close by, I could give you some for free 😀

That would be great! And we coud wear matching T-shirts!

Reply 11 of 21, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
leileilol wrote:
philscomputerlab wrote:

At work I'm helping "recycle" some computers. Which involves stripping them and sorting the good parts. It must be around 100 machines, all of them Core 2 Duo with DDR2 memory. Also, have a screwdriver with you. If you see an computer in the skip or on the road, you can quickly grab some free RAM.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 12 of 21, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This spring I upgraded my C2D to 8GB DDR2. Two sticks are Samsung DDR2-800 and the other two are some generic sticks I bought from China. Works OK. Cheap as peanuts. I heard the chips are recycled from server systems, not sure if it's true though.

Look for "DDR2 for intel", sticks for AMD won't work, something to do with memory controller. Like this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Samsung-chips-4GB-KIT … =item3f5369513d

Reply 13 of 21, by jolurove

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
RacoonRider wrote:

This spring I upgraded my C2D to 8GB DDR2. Two sticks are Samsung DDR2-800 and the other two are some generic sticks I bought from China. Works OK. Cheap as peanuts. I heard the chips are recycled from server systems, not sure if it's true though.

Look for "DDR2 for intel", sticks for AMD won't work, something to do with memory controller. Like this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Samsung-chips-4GB-KIT … =item3f5369513d

Yeah... There's a lot of these on the bay... But I already have an Intel CPU 🙁
In the end I bought a 2GB set for 12 euros... It was a decent deal compared to the rest. This shop is the one with the best RAM deals that I could find. A lot of variety too.

Last edited by jolurove on 2015-09-23, 15:11. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 14 of 21, by jolurove

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
philscomputerlab wrote:
leileilol wrote:
philscomputerlab wrote:

At work I'm helping "recycle" some computers. Which involves stripping them and sorting the good parts. It must be around 100 machines, all of them Core 2 Duo with DDR2 memory. Also, have a screwdriver with you. If you see an computer in the skip or on the road, you can quickly grab some free RAM.

Funny story. That's how I got my hands on a Pentium MMX 133 and a sound blaster 16. There's an old computer at work which they use as a door bearer! I would have taken the motherboard and memory too, but it would have taken way too much time 😢

Reply 15 of 21, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

New DDR/DDR2 RAM will be more expensive than DDR3/DDR4, because manufacturing volumes are far smaller than they used to be. But you can often get them used for next to nothing, as old computers are being scrapped and RAM is one of the most durable components, so it is likely that there are plenty of fully functional sticks out there that no one needs.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 16 of 21, by Tiger433

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

In my opinion no, because games such as Titan Quest and Gothic 3 are smoother when is more than 2 Gb RAM even when they played on XP instead of newer systems, also Crysis are smoother on more RAM. Videocard also uses some of RAM so is good to have 3 Gb on XP 32 bit or 4-6 Gb if are playing on vista or 7 x64.

W7 "retro" PC: ASUS P8H77-V, Intel i3 3240, 8 GB DDR3 1333, HD6850, 2 x 500 GB HDD
Retro 98SE PC: MSI MS-6511, AMD Athlon XP 2000+, 512 MB RAM, ATI Rage 128, 80GB HDD
My Youtube channel

Reply 17 of 21, by TeaCup

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry for the late reply. I think those specs are actually very good for an XP machine. As for the HDD though, can you not use SATA drives with the mobo? You might benefit from a faster SATA HDD than an IDE one.

Bertha:
Dell Inspiron 2600
PIII 1.3GHz | 512MB RAM | 100GB 7200RPM HDD | Windows 2000 SP4

Helga:
Toshiba Satellite 405CS
Pentium 75MHz | 24MB RAM | 500MB 4200RPM HDD | Windows 3.11

Reply 18 of 21, by Iris030380

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes. You're talking games like Supreme Commander, Dark Messiah of Might and Magic, Gothic III, Crysis perhaps. Some of the most demanding games of the period. All worked fine with 2GB. Those games struggled immensely with 1GB. As far as I can remember, nobody aimed for 4GB in gaming machines back then as it was simply not needed. The ideal number to aim for was 2, or at least 1.5 Gb. Going from 1 to 2 Gb on my Athlon 64 4000+ was the best move I ever made with that machine.

Oh and throw a Western Digital Raptor 74GB SATA in there (or two). Makes a huge difference and those drives are just super top end pimp items for the period.

Last edited by Iris030380 on 2015-10-17, 02:58. Edited 2 times in total.

I5-2500K @ 4.0Ghz + R9 290 + 8GB DDR3 1333 :: I3-540 @ 4.2 GHZ + 6870 4GB DDR3 2000 :: E6300 @ 2.7 GHZ + 1950XTX 2GB DDR2 800 :: A64 3700 + 1950PRO AGP 2GB DDR400 :: K63+ @ 550MHZ + V2 SLI 256 PC133:: P200 + MYSTIQUE / 3Dfx 128 PC66

Reply 19 of 21, by Iris030380

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Tiger433 wrote:

In my opinion no, because games such as Titan Quest and Gothic 3 are smoother when is more than 2 Gb RAM even when they played on XP instead of newer systems, also Crysis are smoother on more RAM. Videocard also uses some of RAM so is good to have 3 Gb on XP 32 bit or 4-6 Gb if are playing on vista or 7 x64.

Vanilla (obviously patched) Gothic III sees almost no improvement beyond 2GB RAM. The game is almost unplayable with 1GB, having just an extra 512MB for 1.5GB worked wonders with the gameplay, with something like a 75% reduction in swapping. With 2GB there is almost no swapping at all, and loading times are vastly reduced.

I5-2500K @ 4.0Ghz + R9 290 + 8GB DDR3 1333 :: I3-540 @ 4.2 GHZ + 6870 4GB DDR3 2000 :: E6300 @ 2.7 GHZ + 1950XTX 2GB DDR2 800 :: A64 3700 + 1950PRO AGP 2GB DDR400 :: K63+ @ 550MHZ + V2 SLI 256 PC133:: P200 + MYSTIQUE / 3Dfx 128 PC66