VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by chanza

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

A friend of mine just got round to sending me COMI. Unfortunately, it didn't work. So, I grabbed MS's ACT v2.6, which wouldn't install 'cause I wasn't running sp3. So I grabbed sp3, installed, rebooted, and installed the ACT.

Now COMI still doesnt work.

The error I get is:

SHRINKER.ERR
(3.20) C:\curse\curse.exe: Dispatcher initialisation error 11.

Anyone know what this is/how to fix?

Update: never mind, remembered how to fix (rename dat to exe, run that, ignore crappy broken launcher) :)

Last edited by chanza on 2002-09-28, 08:55. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 3, by dyinginformant

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Glad you solved your problem. Now I need some help with this game.

I have Windows XP and a Pentium 1.6 GHz. I started a new game and then the cutscenes started. It blazed through all the cutscenes like superfast! And then the game froze and I got a black screen and had to restart my computer.

Is there no hope for me to play this truely halarious game again? Please help.

I don't know how to use the compatibility toolkit, and I'm not sure if Abandonloader would help.

Reply 2 of 3, by bgbennyboy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The cutscenes problem is well known, its due to a bug with the SMUSH engine used in CMI.

To fix it change the directsound acceleration level to basic, then play the game.
Start>
Run>
Type dxdiag
Click on the sound tab
Lower the sound acceleration level to basic acceleration
Exit dxdiag
Run CMI

Or you can use my CMI launcher to run the game and just press a button in it to change acceleration level back and forth.

Reply 3 of 3, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Amusingly enough, though almost completely unrelated, for games that use Bink/Smacker video and a Sound Blaster Audigy you'll need to do this same thing to keep the sound from skipping and being illegible.

Yes, it’s my fault.