VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Azurex

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey all,

I'm aware that there is already a thread about this issue, however the problem was marked as 'solved' and I have followed similar steps, although they don't appear to work for me.

I've managed to install the game perfectly fine on Windows 7, and I have installed the 3.0 patch - Creative Labs setup selected too. The game launches and runs fine with no issues, despite the menu graphics being a little jumbled, but there is no music at all. Even with the ISO mounted, there's still no music present. I will note that I have already attempted reinstalling the game to C drive, and I have checked the registry values and what not.

Does anybody have a suggestion? I really want to play this game with music!

Last edited by Azurex on 2015-12-15, 03:08. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 1 of 13, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Are you sure your OEM version has CDA at all?
The retail version have 10 CDA tracks.

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 2 of 13, by Azurex

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

To be completely honest, I'm not 100% sure. Is there anything I should be looking for specifically? Here's the contents of the disk1 folder in the iso

gTzRvJq.png
I have searched the disc's contents quite a bit and I don't see anything indicating CDA files, or audio files in general for that matter.

I also noticed that the folder is titled 'disk1' ... Perhaps a second disc contains the music files? If so, I definitely don't have that.

Reply 4 of 13, by Azurex

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Foobar doesn't recognize it as a media disc, and so ripping or playing options are unavailable. The same case with Winamp.

As far as I can see, there aren't any audio files on the disc outside of the game data sounds in the .cab files, presumably.

Reply 5 of 13, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Azurex wrote:

Foobar doesn't recognize it as a media disc, and so ripping or playing options are unavailable. The same case with Winamp.

As far as I can see, there aren't any audio files on the disc outside of the game data sounds in the .cab files, presumably.

The game uses CDDA. Your copy is faulty.

Reply 6 of 13, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Azurex wrote:

Here's the contents of the disk1 folder in the iso

There is your problem. ISOs do not contain CDA tracks. Make a BIN/CUE pair of you original CD or just use your original disc to play the game.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 7 of 13, by Azurex

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
collector wrote:
Azurex wrote:

There is your problem. ISOs do not contain CDA tracks. Make a BIN/CUE pair of you original CD or just use your original disc to play the game.

Despite this, when I launch the game via the disc itself, the music and everything works completely fine.

So, there is actually audio files. The only way I can get the game to work completely 100% is if I launch it through the disc. Is there any way around this?

Reply 8 of 13, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Azurex wrote:
collector wrote:
Azurex wrote:

Despite this, when I launch the game via the disc itself, the music and everything works completely fine.

So, there is actually audio files. The only way I can get the game to work completely 100% is if I launch it through the disc. Is there any way around this?

collector wrote:

ISOs do not contain CDA tracks. Make a BIN/CUE pair of you original CD

You need to actually respond to this and tell us if you're using a bin/cue or a iso. Because a iso will not work. Making sure you're using a bin/cue and not a iso is the first step.

We can't help your or magically guess what else is wrong before you do that first step.

Reply 9 of 13, by Azurex

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ZellSF wrote:

You need to actually respond to this and tell us if you're using a bin/cue or a iso. Because a iso will not work. Making sure you're using a bin/cue and not a iso is the first step.

We can't help your or magically guess what else is wrong before you do that first step.

A .ccd, .sub and .img file

199fd6979f.png

I won't be able to rip the disc myself, as I no longer have access it. This is just a downloaded copy. The game runs fine with music if I launch it via the mounted disc itself.

Reply 10 of 13, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Run the attached program and print the CDA track number here.
For both the original cd and the mounted cd-image.

Attachments

• Filename
    CDInfo.7z
    File size
    192.76 KiB
    Downloads
    61 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 11 of 13, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Azurex wrote:
A .ccd, .sub and .img file […]
Show full quote
ZellSF wrote:

A .ccd, .sub and .img file

199fd6979f.png

I won't be able to rip the disc myself, as I no longer have access it. This is just a downloaded copy. The game runs fine with music if I launch it via the mounted disc itself.

So the problem is with your installation? Have you tried to see what it does if you start it without patching it?

Reply 12 of 13, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Azurex wrote:
ZellSF wrote:

This is just a downloaded copy. The game runs fine with music if I launch it via the mounted disc itself.

Abandonware is not supported here. You need to get a legal copy. I suspect that a mod will be locking this thread.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 13 of 13, by Azurex

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ZellSF wrote:

So the problem is with your installation? Have you tried to see what it does if you start it without patching it?

Ah, this helped! Thank you. The game works perfectly now. No issues!

collector wrote:
Azurex wrote:
ZellSF wrote:

This is just a downloaded copy. The game runs fine with music if I launch it via the mounted disc itself.

Abandonware is not supported here. You need to get a legal copy. I suspect that a mod will be locking this thread.

I understand that piracy may be against the rules, but I'm not asking where I can pirate it. I'm asking in hopes of finding a solution to a problem that anybody with the game could have - legitimately or otherwise.

However, by all means let this thread be locked, as my issue has been resolved 😉