VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by bakcom

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm on a modern Nvidia card and Windows XP.

Anyone noticed uneven camera motion in Mafia (unrelated to frame rate)? If so, did you find a fix?

It's noticeable when the camera swings in larger motions, like when turning the car. You can see it even in the main menu when the camera moves as you select different options. It's not a showstopper but it does make the game feel choppy. Reducing graphic options didn't help, nor did disabling dynamic CPU clocking.

Another issue: aliasing. Turning on the x4 AA option helps some edges, but not all of them. There's also a lot of in-texture aliasing, like the guns on the table in the main menu. Various driver settings didn't help. Any thoughts?

Reply 1 of 6, by Beegle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Out of curiosity are you able to get a video (with Fraps, for example) of the camera issue?
Also what's your estimated FPS (I know you said it's unrelated to frame rate, but I want to know how the game performs on the system, generally speaking)

The more sound cards, the better.
AdLib documentary : Official Thread
Youtube Channel : The Sound Card Database

Reply 2 of 6, by bakcom

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The frame rate in the main menu is 60. In-game it's usually either 60 or 48. Not sure why the 48, but that's what it is depending on your orientation, and regardless of graphic settings.

I'll try to snap a video.

Reply 3 of 6, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

On the matter of anti-aliasing, are you using MSAA or SSAA? SSAA effectively downscales the image from a higher resolution and is far more effective and nicer looking than MSAA which is a somewhat edge-detecting AA method. Obviously, SSAA is insanely more taxing than MSAA, but I doubt it would make a difference for a game this old.

Reply 4 of 6, by bakcom

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Here's a video of the main menu at 30fps, captured with the game vsynced to 60Hz:
https://vid.me/efMR

I'm not sure it's easy to tell what's going on at just 30fps, and I suspect browser-based playback will also add its own pacing problems, so here's a frame pacing graph of the main menu (though a different capture). The uneven part is when the camera moves from the projector to the table:
2HCSjSAm.png

And two graphs from in-game:
RfTCglDm.png qQ680ORm.png

For comparison, here's an example from a different game that does work okay (not sure why the spikes):
GILrloxm.png

EDGE ALIASING: I'm using the game's "fullscene antialiasing" at x4. Despite the name I think it's actually MSAA. I don't think a DX8-era card could carry the game at SSAA?

TEXTURE ALIASING: In the video above you also see the texture aliasing, on the gun grip and typewriter keys. This happens also in-game on certain textures. Looks like something to do with mipmap selection. On one hand some parts are blurry in the distance, but others are very shimmery. The only driver setting that helped some is forcing transparent textures AA, which helps trees. Couldn't find a way to improve opaque textures.

Reply 5 of 6, by hwh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've noticed that in MAFIA and never found any remedy.

The 60FPS thing seems to be a cap. Not sure about 48FPS.

The city also has issues with choppiness. The game engine doesn't like having lots of textures loaded. Most textures are pretty awful and as for aliasing, check out those wire wheels. Anyway, plenty of trivia later, I have nothing to offer but sympathy.