VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

When launching X-Wing (1998) on fully patch WinXP, I get a Runtime Error.

Program c:\gog games\star wars - x-wing (1998)\xwing95.exe

R6030
-CRT not initialized

I did some googling and found someone else with the same problem on XP. There was no solution, other than using Win7.
I did a repair install of Visual C++ Runtime 2010. Did not help. Any other suggestions? I'm intentionally using XP as my GOG machine.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 1 of 22, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Why are you asking about a Windows game in the DOSBox forum? Also, for GOG games GOG has a support team.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 2 of 22, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

*moved*

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 3 of 22, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Sorry. My brain somehow equated GOG with DOSBox even though I knew this wasn't a DOS game. My bad...

Reply 4 of 22, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
collector wrote:

Also, for GOG games GOG has a support team.

Someone else asked the same question there a couple of months ago with no solution:
http://www.gog.com/forum/star_wars_xwing_and_ … not_initialized

Reply 5 of 22, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Wasn't the only CRT that existed in 1998 just: msvcrt.dll ? I've compiled programs that target that CRT and they run fine... What would happen if you can somehow take msvcrt from Visual Studio 6 installed on 98 and move it into the base directory for xwing95?

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 6 of 22, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DracoNihil wrote:

Wasn't the only CRT that existed in 1998 just: msvcrt.dll ? I've compiled programs that target that CRT and they run fine... What would happen if you can somehow take msvcrt from Visual Studio 6 installed on 98 and move it into the base directory for xwing95?

Hmmm. Great idea! I will give it a try and let you know if it works. 😀

Reply 8 of 22, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DracoNihil wrote:

So this did not end up working. I grabbed a few different versions of msvcrt.dll that were on my Win98 install and moved them over to XP and tried them one by one, dropping into the xwing95 base directory. No dice. It was definitely worth a try, though!

Reply 9 of 22, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
clueless1 wrote:

I did some googling and found someone else with the same problem on XP. There was no solution, other than using Win7.

Four your information; I am able to run X-Wing 1998 in Windows XP fully patched (WEPOS) just fine. The system has a Radeon 6670 video card.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\msvcrt.dll = v7.0.2600.5512, 343.040 bytes

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 10 of 22, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gerwin wrote:
clueless1 wrote:

Four your information; I am able to run X-Wing 1998 in Windows XP fully patched (WEPOS) just fine. The system has a Radeon 6670 video card.

Thanks. That gives me some hope at least! If it's convenient, would you mind going into Windows/System32 on that machine and getting the version of msvcrt.dll that's in there?

Reply 11 of 22, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just did that, see my earlier post and attached file. Though maybe it is required that the dll gets 'registered' in the OS.

Attachments

• Filename
    msvcrt.zip
    File size
    176.01 KiB
    Downloads
    47 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 12 of 22, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Appreciate your assistance, gerwin. No dice. I wonder if it has anything to do with the VIA chipset on my XP system. It's a weird board--one AGP and one PCI-E, DDR1 and DDR2, and the chipset is limited to 3328MB RAM. So I may just redo my XP rig with something Intel-based and a little more standardized.

Reply 13 of 22, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Okay...I just tried this on a Dell Optiplex Pentium 4 i865 system. Clean install of XP SP3 with just the bare minimum pulled in from Windows Update (no optional Windows Updates). And I have the exact same problem. Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable is installed (I'm guessing GOG's installer put this on). I tried installing Visual C++ 2012 Redistributable and that did not help. Now I am installing .NET Framework 4 to see if that fixes the issue. Gerwin, there must be something you have installed that I don't that is allowing you to run X-Wing. I checked GOG's system requirements for this game and don't see anything that would give me a clue.

Reply 14 of 22, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I will think about it...
But long before GoG put up the windows 95 versions of X-Wing and TIE Fighter, I had similar troubles with them: Refusal to run on certain Windows 2000 or XP systems, then other times it seems to run fine. For myself I labelled these remakes as B-Quality software.

Does XvT: Balance of Power run on your system? It shares the same engine.

Reply 15 of 22, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't have Balance of Power, so can't check. Incidentally, .NET 4 did not help. I even tried swapping the LCD display for a CRT on the off chance that CRT error message was somehow related to that. No dice.

And I can't seem to get any support from GOG either. When I click on Support, then Contact Support, it takes me to a page where I select "Technical Issue with one of my games" then click Next and it redirects me right back to the main Support page. I never get to a submission form. I then tried posting the question on their forum and when I clicked the "Post" button, it goes right back to my pre-posted message and my message does not post. I briefly googled and it sounds like you have to have some sort of reputation built up to be able to post a help question.

Reply 16 of 22, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It seems like I've found a solution: rename/delete the ddraw.dll file in the game directory.

Reply 18 of 22, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Why would a ddraw.dll throw a message involving CRT's? Odd that you found out a solution like that.

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 19 of 22, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DracoNihil wrote:

Why would a ddraw.dll throw a message involving CRT's? Odd that you found out a solution like that.

I have no idea. I can't claim to have come up with the solution on my own, either. Someone at gog.com forums suggested:
"I don't have any XP, but if there is a ddraw.dll in the game folder I'd try moving or renaming it.
Just in case it's not compatible with XP, after all it is a wrapper intended for newer systems (hopefully XP will not need it)."