VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Kerr Avon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There's an old first person shooter, called Timeshift, which over the course of it's development changed enormously, several times. I like the finished game, even though it has some very large flaws, and I've always been keen to see how the earlier versions (pre- ommercial release) differed from the finished product. And a couple of years ago, when I learned that the demo was different, I tried to get it to run, but couldn't, so I posted here (Re: The old Timeshift demo does not start), but despite lots of help and advice, the demo refused to run on my Windows 7 64 bit system.

Anyway, I've just found another, even earlier demo (https://mega.nz/#!soEwQQDS!GxNfDKa_rzZ_kPmqas … NeTcmhJeVp5gZNM), which would be much more interesting since it hopefully is even closer to the original game design, but of course, this one isn't working either. So if anyone has the time and inclination, can you try to get the demo working on Windows 7 64 bit to see if it's possible, please?

Thanks for any answers.

Reply 2 of 9, by Kerr Avon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sorry, I hadn't included the details of what happens (I was writing in a .txt file, so I could copy and paste it into the forum).

When I install the demo, on this Windows 7, 64 bit PC, from that link above, then at (or near, I don't know) the end of the installation, the installer says:

"Checking DirectX Version"

then gives the error:

"String ISDX_ERR_INTERNAL was not found in string table"

Clicking OK gives another error message:

"ISDX_ERR_INTERNAL"

And then whenever I double click on the game's desktop icon, or the TimeShift.exe program, nothing happens. Not even a splash screen.

Reply 6 of 9, by Kerr Avon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks, but nothing worked until I tried it with the free version of VMWare Workstation Player 12, with Windows XP and a modded game .exe. See

http://assemblergames.com/l/threads/timeshift … -history.59888/

for details.

Reply 8 of 9, by Lo Wang

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I get the exact same error (gsVideoInit) with Will Rock when using integrated video cards that do not report AGP Texture Acceleration (dxDiag) as being available (and technically this is the correct behavior).

I never got around debugging the thing, but it'd seem to me that skipping over the video test should be enough to get it running (unless you really are using a very, very old video card)

"That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved" - Romans 10:9

Reply 9 of 9, by Kerr Avon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Stiletto wrote:

These days, I'd try dgVoodoo2 with them...

Yes, that works with the older, beta (using the modified game .exe), demo under Windows 7 64-bit (I've not tried the newer demo, or with Windows 32-bit), thanks.