VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by notindeed

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm having a problem on Campaign 3, Mission 5 where you come round the corner and the ai shoot a whole clip of MP40 in some kind of weird "shotgun burst" all at once at the same time, rather than individual shots.

The game also stutters too.

At first i thought this might be due to playing hidden and dangerous on windows xp, so i tried the deluxe version that has an updated engine and it still has the same issues.

See the problem at 1:45
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUMNIYw5VQQ

Where as it should be normal, like in this video at 3:20:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyoAP5ujqLc

Specs:
Windows XP SP3,
AMD Athlon 64 3200+ (guessing clawhammer, don't know how to tell and can't remember).
ATI x1950 pro 512 AGP
1.5GB ram

Does anyone know why this could be or how i could get it working properly?
Maybe a component speed issue - but then why would it work properly for people who have made modern videos on way more modern systems than mine?

If anyone else wants to try, the game is freeware now. I would recommend the original version over deluxe as deluxe was a quick engine port job and while it improves some things, it removes a lot too such giving everyone the same face. The levels are slightly altered too so you could play both i suppose.

Thanks!

Reply 1 of 9, by notindeed

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

By the way, for anyone who wants to try with deluxe:

http://www.hidden-and-dangerous.net/deluxe/download.php

And you can get savegames and editors here if you just want to skip to c3m5 (road to Peenemünde):

http://www.hidden-and-dangerous.net/hd/files.php

Reply 3 of 9, by aqrit

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

the savegames and editors don't appear to work with the deluxe edition.
However, one can get to that mission fairly quick with cheat codes.

I haven't tried very hard to reproduce it, but the problem doesn't happen here.

try some basic trouble shooting steps.
1. delete the game config out of the registry.
2. lock the process to a single core
3. make sure the XP "3d acceleration slider" is set to full.

Reply 4 of 9, by Jolaes76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This is a hw acceleration issue for sure. IIRC I had this issue when using onboard audio - but no problem on the same rig when using a Creative Live!. For the onboard audio, no DirectX tweaking helped to solve the issue. I cannot recall the exact system configuration, sorry.

And a big UP! for Hidden and Dangerous, best of WWII tactical shooters. I have all versions from 1.0 beta to Deluxe. The bugs in earlier versions can drive you mad but the insane challenge is worth playing them.

Have you noticed that in early versions the StG 44 fires as fast as an MP40, or that the tanks' initial position is different in the video you linked 😀

"Ita in vita ut in lusu alae pessima iactura arte corrigenda est."

Reply 5 of 9, by notindeed

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hmm i assume you mean GFX hardware acceleration issue - but then you talk about audio acceleration?
I am using an X-FI soundcard and i even tried disabling audio acceleration and that didn't help.

So yer i think it must be a D3D or operating system compatibility issue.
I am guessing the people who have recorded it working correctly must have used windows 7 or something and so maybe the compatibility of win 98 programs is better in 7 than XP.

I don't know!
Hopefully i can test on a never windows system, or somehow install windows 98 onto this pc and try it out.

It's a really strange issue - i thought it must be OS or CPU related as i imagined it was some weird "timing" issue but i don't know. It is very strange.

When you both tried it, were you using Windows XP? If you don't get the issue in XP then i really do not know why i do 😳

In terms of the StG 44, i haven't gotten far enough in the game to get one yet, so i don't know about that haha.
But about the tanks in the cutscene, i think that might be a difference between the original and deluxe versions of the game - they changed the missions slightly for deluxe, and maybe the cutscenes? i dunno!

Haha isn't the H&D series the only WWII tactical shooter? (Well i guess there are probably mods for operation flashpoint or arma but i haven't got around to those games so i don't know about their mods). But yer, it's really sad H&D is forgotten. The original version is way better than deluxe though, mainly due to the "attack of the clones" issues with deluxe. I guess i could make a mod to fix it but still...

Also, you don't get the different soldiers and menu graphics etc when playing the addon missions in deluxe, which is a shame compared to fight for freedom.
Have you played the sequel? I used to love H&D 2 online, it was really quite fun. I guess i should try Vietcong online one day!

Reply 6 of 9, by Jolaes76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As for me, I have always played H and D under Win98SE, the OS it was "designed for".
And yes, I am positive about the AUDIO hardware acceleration issue (among many others). Something definitely has changed between DX6 and DX7 for sure. Under XP, I have got audio looping at start screen many times with the original H and D.
H and D 2 was great as well but I have not played that much.
For me the Vietcongs, on the other hand, were just damn frustrating with that "empty two .45 cartridges on them pyjamas guys from 6 meters and they *might* get hurt..." concept.
It felt very "Unreal" or rather Unreal Tournament.

"Ita in vita ut in lusu alae pessima iactura arte corrigenda est."

Reply 8 of 9, by notindeed

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes i get the audio thing on the menu screen intro and also for the dialogue for the cutscenes too.
I tried it on a windows 10 laptop and it doesn't have those audio issues but still has the enemy fire (weird timing?) issue.
Also, hidden and dangerous deluxe doesn't have the audio issues on Windows XP but does have the enemy fire issue.

So i'm really not sure.

I will try and install Windows 98 when i get to a point where i can swap out my GPU for one that is supported under 98 (i don't think x1950 will work but i think my 9600 pro might?)

Will probably need a bit of help sorting out a Win 98 install though as i've never installed it on this pc before (or any actually - we went from 95 to ME at the time).
I've heard there are hacks to get things like ntfs working, installing it on hard drives bigger than 128GB and other things. To be honest i don't really know what the limitations are? Maybe ME will be easier?
I tried installing it on a USB stick but then it started asking to search for things after it installed, and it kind of froze so i think it got all messed up.

But yer, in terms of why this game won't work properly for me, i really don't know 🙁

Reply 9 of 9, by notindeed

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

http://www.hidden-and-dangerous.net/board/vie … php?f=28&t=2665

It seems it is probably due to the reaction speed of the soldiers going over 100%
This only occurs on hard mode - so won't happen on medium or easy.

He says that it happens in any mission but for me it only happens in that mission.
Can people test the game on hard in that level (and others) and see if they can reproduce?
I wonder if it is fixable.

Thanks!