VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by THE_WUQKED

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Maybe some of you already saw my post in the VDMS section where I was asking for help to get WC3 DOS version working properly with VDMS. If you've got any suggestion for that problem don't post it here, but in the old topic. thx
As I seem to be unable to get my DOS version working at acceptable speed without sound probs, I tried my Kilrathi Version (it's in English, but I can patch it to German anyway, as soon as it works). but the problem with that one is, it random crashes after a while (just a few minutes, maybe 5 to 10). But I read at www.wcnews.com, that it should work under XP. So now I'm wondering, what is wrong? I've tried several compatibility modes (Win 95, 98, Me, NT, 2k), switching off hardware sound acceleration, changing process priority from low to highest, using HT and using no HT. - Nothing helped. 🙁 - KS WC1 and 2 work fine, btw.
Here are the specs (tried it with two PCs):
1.)
Shuttle XPC SB51G
P IV 3.067Ghz
1Gb DDR 333Mhz
R9700 Pro
Plantronics DSP-500 HS (USB)
Win XP SP1
DirectX 9b
MS Precision Pro (USB)

2.)
Abit IC7
P IV 3.2Ghz
1GB DDR 400MHz
R9800 Pro
Audigy
Win XP SP1
no Joystick
DirectX 9b

Both PCs have got the exact same problem. Thx for any input 😀

EDIT: Well, I've just found a French homepage that offers a Win95 Patch for WC3. In fact it's just a bunch of files that are different in the Kilrathi Saga Version (That's why I won't post the link. No idea if such a patch is legal or not). Anyway in their Forum this crashing bug is discussed as well. It was suggested to disable all other apps (antivirus, Internet etc) and maybe use CPU slowdown utillities. But that didn't work for everyone, for me either. They also mentioned a thought, that it might be cause of too much memory (512Mb+). Just thought maybe it helps some of you genies to find a solution 😉

Reply 1 of 7, by THE_WUQKED

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, I guess it's time for an update: No, it still doesn't work for me, but here is a list of PCs and whether or not they were able to play WC3 without crashing:

3.)
MoBo: Epox 8KHA+ (KT266A)
CPU: AMD Athlon XP 1700+
RAM: 1x 256MB DDR 266MHz
Gfx: Winfast Geforce2 GTS 64MB with Det. 40.72
sound: Creative SB Live! Value
HDD: IBM 80GB 2MB Cache 7200rpm, 1 Partition, NTFS
Drive: LG 16x/40x DVD
Directx: 9.0a
WC3 working: YES
Compatibilty Mode: NONE!!!

4.)
MoBo: Abit NF7 (Nforce2)
CPU: AMD Athlon XP 2400+
RAM: 2x 256MB DDR 400MHz
Gfx: Saphire Radeon 9700 Pro with Cat 3.6
sound: onBoard NForce2
HDD: IBM 120GB 2MB Cache 7200rpm, 1 Partition, NTFS
Drive: Nec 2500A
Directx: 9.0b
WC3 working: YES (not 100% sure anymore! tested only ~20-25mins, and one of my other PCs managed to play it 20mins as well once - so I say only 80-90% sure)
Compatibilty Mode: NONE!!!

5.)
MoBo: ABIT IS7
CPU: Intel PIV 2.80GHz HT
RAM: 2x 512MB DDR 400MHz
Gfx: Radeon 9800 Pro with Cat 4.3
sound: M-Audio Revolution 7.1
HDD: 36 GB WD Raptor 10,000 RPM 8mb, 1 Partition, NTFS
Drives: DVD Pioneer 16x
CDRW Lite-on 52x24x52
Directx: 9.0b
WC3 working: NO

6.)
MoBo: ???
CPU: Intel PIV 2.60GHz (HT ???)
RAM: 512MB DDR
Gfx: Radeon 9600 Pro with Cat ???
sound: ???
HDD: ???
Drives: ???
Directx: ???
WC3 working: NO

7.)
CPU: Intel PIV 2.80GHz (HT ???)
nothing else mentioned - got it fixed via CPU-Killer and deactivating all Backgroundproggies, but later on he says his game crashes too (???) - So quite useless, I guess
WC3 working: NO/YES

There is running another Thread at www.wcnews.com Forum with the same problem, where I posted these Data, too/got some of them. Anyway, no-one has got an idea there either.

Hopefully this extended PC list helps you a bit more than it did help me.

Reply 2 of 7, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

The original WC3 (not the Kilrathi Saga version) works for me (Windows XP, AMD Athlon XP CPU in an Shuttle FN41 nForce2 motherboard)

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 4 of 7, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Only a minor, but irritating, problem: Crackling sound in Wing Commander III with SB-16 emulation

Reply 5 of 7, by THE_WUQKED

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Aah, so still the little sound prob 🙁 - Guess you forgot my thread? 😉
Wing Commander 3 Error when starting

Anyway, I "somehow" got less disturbing sound probs with VDMS - Movies sound is great, and no more "sound crash" (read: sound stops playing at all). So only ingame sound doesn't sound that well (little scratching only now).

How I got it this way? Well, to be honest I do not really get it, but this is what I tried: I downloaded DOS-drivers for AC97 (Via chipset), although I've got an Intel MoBo, and added the lines in the autoexec.nt. Now I had at least "some" sound ingame without any other proggy (no VDMS etc) - but it was way worse than with VDMS before. So I tried VDMS again, and got the result I mentioned (btw, same soundcard settings like in the autoexec.nt). I always thought VDMS does sound-sim on it's own and doesn't use the autoexec.nt (???) - So I don't understand how it helped me (a bit).
Oh well, still I would be pleased if I could have better sound - and the Joystick stears quite bad this way, too - compared to the KS Saga.
Btw, if you don't bother wheather the Win Patch is legal or not, and still have little sound etc probs, you might try it out, especially cause you have got no Intel, but AMD CPU (at the moment I only know about Intel CPUs suffering the crashes I described in my first post). - But won't post the link, cause really no idea whether it is legal or not, sorry, but isn't too ahrd to find anyway.

Reply 6 of 7, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Thanks THE_WUQKED, I have not started playing WC3 for real (playing a different game at the moment), so I think I will wait the patching, etc, until I am ready to tinker with WC3. Who knows, perhaps DOSBox and the dynamic core will be good enough by then?

Reply 7 of 7, by THE_WUQKED

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes, could be possible, especially cause Privateer runs way better with the latest CVS (at least that is what I read 😉 ) - Instead of 2Ghz now under 1GHz is enough for perfect playing 😁